is a Japanese Seinen yonkoma
by bb Kuroda. The story is about the daily life
, a second year High School student, her classmates Yuuko
, and first year student, and Run's childhood friend, Tooru
. The series follows their quirks with their teachers and classmates.
The manga has been serialized since 2008 to December 2014 in Manga Time Kirara Carat
, with currently four volumes released. An anime adaptation by Studio Gokumi aired in spring 2011
, with two Original Video Animation
episodes named A Channel +smile
released on early 2012. There's also a prequel manga, A Channel ~days in junior high school~
, which is... well, the story of how Run and Tooru met and their life in junior high school. It started serializing in Manga Time Kirara Carino
from January 2012.
Not to be confused with Special A
or A-Channel (the former name of Canadian TV network CTV Two
or of fellow Canadian network Citytv in some areas of Western Canada).
A Channel provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptation Expansion
- Alertness Blink: For example, when Run tells the other girls that Tooru is an honor student.
- Batter Up: Tooru deploys a baseball bat anytime boys get too friendly with Run.
- Beach Episode: Episode 5, when the girls head for Kamakura and visit the lighthouse there.
- Between My Legs: This shot shows up in episode 2.
- Bland-Name Product: The Bonyo keychain Yuuko buys to forget a horror movie.
- Paskin Robbins Ice Cream
- Pocari Sweet & Coco-Cola
- A Hamaha speaker in episode 7.
- Lawsom convenience stores.
- Bittersweet Ending: There's a growing consensus that the anime ending qualifies. Tooru realizes that there is going to be a time, coming very soon, that she will still be in High School but the other 3 will be either in the workforce or at College — either way, not in her life anymore. She resolves to make the most of the last year they have together.
- Blue with Shock
- Butt Monkey: Yuuko can't seem to catch a break, whether it's being tormented by her friends, teachers, dogs, her own misunderstandings, or pure bad luck. And it's hilarious!
- Cherry Blossoms
- Cloudcuckoolander: Run. She even forgets her panties!
- Drowning My Sorrows: Tooru does a version of this with juice in episode 8.
- Festival Episode: The second half of episode 7.
- Follow the Leader: Maybe it's just a genre thing but a lot of the Schoolgirl Series stereotypes are being employed shamelessly.
- Four Girl Ensemble
- Genki Girl: Yutaka.
- Going Commando: At one point Run forgets to put on her panties.
- Gratuitous English: Run in episode 3. "No Music No Life" and "Mada (still) No Music Life"
- Nagi and Tooru mentions Yuuko's "nice body" on several occasions.
- Nagi mentions "nice shot" at Run being able to toss a soda can onto the trash barrel at school.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming:
- Every episode has a regular Japanese title and a secondary title in English that always starts with an "A".
- All song titles on the soundtrack are English words starting with the letter A.
- Image Song: At least one per episode, with one song for each of the main girls in episode 7 (half of which was a Karaoke Episode).
- Karaoke Box: The first half of episode 7. Even Satou-sensei gets in on it.
- Lolicon: Both Yuuko and Run point out that Tooru doesn't have to be so self-concious of her small body, since there are people who are into that.
- Magic Skirt: The girls frequently fall down or throw their legs in the air but no looky-loos. Tooru even sticks her bum in the air to put on her socks during one sequence but still no action.
- Marshmallow Hell: Yuuko does this to Tooru at one point to prevent her from intimidating a boy Run was talking to.
- Nonuniform Uniform: Nagi and Tooru almost always wear their respective beige and purple cardigans over their school uniforms.
- Not What It Looks Like: Tooru's first impression of Yuuko is seeing her in a compromising situation with Run.
- Older Than They Look: Run's mom looks exactly like her, so much so that she's often confused as Run's sister.
- Only One Name: This is the case with all of the students. None of their last names have been mentioned, and even during class the teachers are on First Name Basis with them.
- Panty Shot: Averted.
- Pet the Dog: Tooru is fond of small animals and children, often giving kids candy. Also she is a great help in the classroom.
- She finds Yutaka annoying, but she's perfectly fine with showing the girl her notes or helping her with problems.
- She even feels lonely when Miho drags Yutaka away, which sends her into an impromptu identity crisis.
- Yuuko on the other hand...
- Shown more in the Manga, but Tooru is shown on a couple of occasions to like Yuuko.
- Puni Plush
- Sailor Fuku
- Sarcasm Failure: Nagi has no words when Run freaks out ("Who are you?") over Nagi's letting her hair down. This despite Nagi having jokingly done the same thing not one full minute before.
- Schoolgirl Series
- School Swimsuit: Tooru's had the same one since elementary school.
- Serious Business: Nagi takes the Ibod very seriously.
- Shout-Out: In the third episode of the anime, Nagi shouts "'They're not panties, so it's not embarrassing?'! It sure as heck is!"
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Tooru just doesn't like Yuuko, although she mellows out somewhat during the course of the series.
- Sneeze Cut
- Strong Family Resemblance: Run and Tooru look just like young versions of their respective mothers, except for very slightly different haircuts.
- Tsundere: Nagi describes Tooru as this, Run forgets what one is and imagines Tooru with a spear.
- Tsurime Eyes: 75% of the main cast!
- Twelve-Episode Anime
- Weapon of Choice: Tooru favors her baseball bat whenever she feels the need to defend Run from the attention of boys.
- Wiki Walk: When talking about schoolgirls running the possible risk of being abducted by strangers, Run ends up wondering if aliens are able to speak Japanese or not.