open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- A Crown of Stars:
- Rayana is the patron deity of the Mamas Bear in her home dimension (one of her titles is Lady of Mothers’ Fury). Protecting children is one of her priorities. She disses Shinji and Asuka’s fathers for not taking care of their offspring properly, and unlike her husband, she thinks that Shinji should not forgive Gendo.
- And then you have Yui “I’ll eat you for hurting my baby!" Ikari herself. She can forgive a lot of Gendo’s actions… but she will not forgive his abuse of Shinji and mistreatment of Rei unless they forgive him first.
- Advice and Trust: In chapter 3 Asuka had been trapped into Leliel. Shinji thought he wanted to save her not matter what, even if he had to unleash his Evangelion's power. Mama Yui heard and answered his plea. Meanwhile Asuka thought she wanted to live and be with Shinji and asked her mother helping her. Mama Kyoko heard and answered her plea. And all of sudden Leliel was being ripped apart by two blood-thirsty berserker mothers trapped into giant robots.
- In the same chapter, Misato slapped Ritsuko to the ground when she declared Asuka to be expendable.
That's one of my kids, you heartless bitch!
- In the same chapter, Misato slapped Ritsuko to the ground when she declared Asuka to be expendable.
- The Child of Love:
- After the first few weeks her baby’s welfare becomes everything for Asuka. Hurt Teri and Asuka will hurt you.
- Rei is an Auntie Bear. Don't even think of harming the Ikari-kun's baby. She is scary as Gendo found out.
- In a Dream Sequence Yui assured her son she would protect him and his family. When Asuka gave birth in Unit 01 Yui ensured that both she and her baby survived.
Yui:"I am part of you, too. I won't let him hurt you or the mother of your child. I promise. If anything happens to you or your love, I promise you that he'll regret it."
- When Misato learnt about Gendo’s scheme she was perfectly willing to march in Gendo’s office and put a bullet in his head to protect her wards and their daughter.
- Ghosts of Evangelion:
- Hurt Asuka and Misato WILL kill you. A rapist found out the hard way.
- Invoked by Kyoko when she says a mother always protects her child.
- You don't want to know what lengths Misato will go to protect her children. She has manipulated and deceived people and her hands are stained with blood because she needed to protect Shinji and his family.
- Shinji, Asuka and Rei are also perfectly willing to kill or sacrifice their lives to protect Akiko (Shinji and Asuka's daughter and Rei's niece).
- In the Axis Powers Hetalia fanfiction The Howl of the Wind, the spirit of the personification of Native America returns to torment the various nation for raping America. While haunting France in his sleep, she actually turns herself into a bear and starts clawing him to pieces.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genocide: Misato's priority is ALWAYS her wards. Give her a choice between protecting her kids and helping her remaining subordinates, and she'll choose the first option.
"I've met her before," Sato said. "Katsuragi. And I know what drives her. Like every mother, she wants what's best for her children."
- Once More with Feeling:
- Kyoko. When Shinji and Asuka were fighting Gaghiel Shinji could not focus properly. Then he tried to reaching out to Asuka's mother, screaming mentally that her daughter would die if she didn't help them. Kyoko reacted so furiously the backlash knocked Shinji out as Unit-02 forced Gaghiel's jaws open easily. Asuka reached a 100% synchronization with her EVA right then.
- Misato is also fiercely protective of Shinji and Asuka (Kaji notes that she was perfectly willing to kill to protect Shinji)
- The One I Love Is: Yui Ikari went berserker every time her son was in danger... and when Misato said she did not want to die because she was pregnant she activated Unit 01. Shinji -who had refused to sortie until then- realized his mother wanted to protect Misato's baby as well, and he reluctantly agreed to fight.
- The Second Try: Asuka is fiercely protective of her post-Third-Impact family (both Aki and Shinji), to the point that, in "The Final", she made an attempt to strangle Gendo when he tried to interrogate her about Aki (and she came damn near close to succeeding; Gendo even seemed to be a bit unnerved). She also threatened Kaworu to stay away from Shinji, knowing full well what he was.
- In Eva Sessions: You Can Never Trust, a character is being real obnoxious to Asuka, getting rudely into her personal space -even though she is telling him staying away and not talking to her — to insult her and deliver her a (pretty hypocrital) "The Reason You Suck" Speech, when Eva-02 suddenly roars and tries to grab him. The boy bolts out of the place instantly, utterly terrified and realizing he has soiled himself. Although nobody else understands why the Humongous Mecha has done that, Asuka notes that it was protecting her. This is because Asuka's mother's soul is stuck inside her robot. And Kyoko wants you leaving her daughter alone.
- In the Soul Eater fanfic In Fever Dreams, Maka's mother is a literal Mama Bear, being a bear witch and all. The first scene of the fic has her clawing a Kishin egg to death for going after eight-year-old Maka.
Kami: (roaring) Not - my - daughter!
- Though not exactly Keitaro's mother, Haruka fits the bill in chapter 6 of Contract Labor; when Naru tries to attack Keitaro after an Accidental Pervert moment, Haruka physically restrains her, threatens her with a pocketknife, and explicitly threatens to use said knife on Naru if she doesn't back off.
- Inuzuka Tsume, Konoha Town's police chief in Kitsune no Ken: Fist of the Fox, is this for her son Kiba. Her first response to news that Kiba may be in trouble is to send dozens of cops to the location to arrest whoever's responsible. There's also her threat to Naruto following his confrontation with Kiba (for which Tsume had sent out the aforementioned cop-squad):
Tsume: If my son ever got so much as a scrape on him from you, I don't care if you were part of a group that terrified whole cities, I would stuff a shotgun up your ass and pull the trigger. Am I understood?Naruto: (meekly) Yes, ma'am.
- Pidgeot in A New Chance Series is very protective of Ash, a year away from him hasn't diminished that, and being the leader of her own flock has accentuated that feeling. When the Fearow near Pallet Town tries to kill Ash, she goes berserk and knocks him out the sky in one blow. The she flies over to Ash and gives him a big hug.
- A Protector's Pride: Masaki Kurosaki, once she regains her Quincy powers.
- In the Magi fanfic The Brothers Day and Night, Mariam and Kassim's mother Lail was this. She tried to kill her children's abusive father to protect them, but ends up being overpowered and killed by him instead.
- From Kill la Kill AU, Ragyou will do anything to protect her children, even if it almost costs her life, like she did in comic 25.
- While she isn't their mother but a Parental Substitute, in the Kiryuuin Chronicles, Rei is a downplayed example in that while she isn't powerful and was described to be "a kind, yet very frightened soul", she has made it her resolve to take her charges Satsuki, Ryuuko, and Nui away from their abusive home and father, regardless of circumstances.
- In chapter 25 of the Lyrical Nanoha fanfic Infinity, Lindy utterly humiliates Precia in a one-on-one fight despite a vast difference in power between them, all because Precia hurt her children.
- Zero no Tsukaima: Saito the Onmyoji has Karin, who is very protective of her daughters, especially Louise. When she finds out Wardes sealed Louise's magic, she is extremely angry, and utterly thrashes him in a duel when she finally gets her hands on him.
- In This Bites!, despite her professional behavior, Kureha is most definitely this for Chopper. When she finds out that Cross knows about Chopper's past and wants him to join the Straw Hat Pirates, she pins him to the bed, a scalpel inches from his throat, looming over him like death. Note how she refers to Chopper as she asks the question:
Kureha: Do you actually care about my son, or are you just playing on his insecurities to shanghai him into your little pirate band?
- "Empty Graves" answers a question: Why did no super-villains travel back in time to try to murder Superman when he was a little child? They actually tried. But they never accounted for Martha Kent: "She may not be the World's Finest, but she's a mother with a shotgun, and all told that might be scarier."
- Ultimate Spider Woman: Mary Jane Watson is an unusual variant in that she's a Daughter Bear. She currently has much better control over her emotions than she did when she first became a superheroine, but threatening her family and close friends is still her Berserk Button and anyone who threatens them will suffer.
- Harmony In Disarray, a Transformers / Wizards of Waverly Place fic: Alex Russo is this towards Leigh as she once broke Galloway's nose (and her own hand!) when he pushed Leigh, and before that she was already one as far back as the beginning of the story.
- Monsters In Paradise: Amber Harrison, to the core. She has one child still living in Rustboro City instead of becoming a Pokémon trainer, and she trusts few people outside of herself with the child's welfare; if anyone so much as looks at the child funny, including Yukari Yakumo, she makes her thoughts known violently. This has gotten Amber in hot water in situations where her behavior wouldn't have been appropriate, however.
- In Origins, a Mass Effect/Star Wars/Borderlands/Halo Massive Multiplayer Crossover, Jack steps full-throated into this trope. Brought into civilized society after a criminal past as a biotic instructor, she will end you if you so much as look at her students the wrong way. She goes nuts on Sarah (to no avail), steps into Blood Knight territory against the Flood after one of her students is killed, and actually cares more about the kids than her exterior suggests.
- Adopted Displaced, a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic multi-crossover series: One of its entries is Another Hatchling, with Samus Aran, who is very protective of her adoptive son, the dragon Spike. Even after he shows he's become strong enough to take care of himself. Female members of the other new families in this series are the same way.
- Barbara Maitland is given this role in the Danny Phantom/Beetlejuice crossover Say It Thrice. She and Adam are effectively Lydia's honorary godparents, and when she finds out what the evil ghost Sanduleak intended to do to their precious girl, her reaction is... not pretty.
- Two examples in Thousand Shinji:
- Misato. Shinji quickly noticed that she was a Mama Bear and would always protect her wards, not matter what. Later on, she proves it when several soldiers shoot Shinji and she leaps in the way of the bullets.
- Asuka. During a dream sequence she imagines herself to be a mother... and drive a battle-axe into the head of whoever or whatever threatens her and Shinji's child.
- In the Megamind & Rise of the Guardians crossover fic Protectors, Megamind (known as Teal in this fic) has been adopted by the Warden and his wife, Andrea. Andrea reaches a point in her Mama Bear-ness where the Warden is unsure whether to comfort her... or to remove any objects within her reach which could potentially become a weapon.
Andrea: "Since you two obviously make poor parents, you don't comprehend how angry I am. So I'll give you a hint." (punches them both) "Try doing that to my son again, and I'll make you wish for something as sweet as pain."
- And when she comes face to face with the two who attempted to manipulate her adoptive son into becoming a villain:
- The wizards responsible for organizing the Triwizard Tournament in King of Serpents: Game of Shadows learn why you doesn't mess with Angeline Fowl's offspring when her son barely escapes to be enrolled into the competition. The woman is born a Lestrange, and Artemis has to inherit his brown-pants inducing tendances from someone, after all.
- When she falls pregnant with the Dark One's child in Dark Dynasty, Cora decides to keep him and flatly rejects Dumbledore's proposition to give the baby to him. For the record, she's heartless - literally, as she cannot feel - and still she refuses to throw her child away, even if he's illegitimate, the offspring of a dark sorcerer and an obstacle to her projects for becoming a queen. Okay, she gets mind-wiped for her troubles, but that's the spirit, right?
Film - Live-action
- The Star Trek fic Safe and Sound has some examples:
Winona: Do you happen to know what a mother bear does to anyone who harms her cubs?Khan: I do.Winona: So you probably have a good idea of how I'm feeling. (punches him in the face, and then calmly walks over to where he's landed) I would kill you now, but you may still be needed to save my son, so I won't. But that doesn't mean the thought has left my mind; I'm only going to say this once, and I'm going to make it very clear. If you hurt or threaten my son again, I'll come after you. I won't need Starfleet, or a Vulcan; hell, I won't even need a Klingon Empire. I'll come after you, and when I find you, I'll blast a hole straight through your cold heart. Then I'll cut off your head, and you arms, and your legs; you'll be in six pieces, and I'll bury a piece in one. Continent. Each.
- The most violent is Khan's lover, Victoria, who was ready to level Starfleet when she woke up and discovered that her unborn child was gone. She then becomes this to her new surrogate daughter, Lucille, and breaks Dr. Korby's arm after he kidnaps the girl.
- Lucille's biological mother gets a moment when she dies fighting Korby upon realizing the man harmed her.
- Uhura is this towards her unborn child. When Korby tells her that he intends to inject the baby with Khan's augmented blood (which could kill it), and that having her child would be useful since the baby is part Vulcan, she leaps at him in rage.
- Kirk's mother, Winona, gets an awesome moment in the first chapter. After the events of the movie she arrives in the holding room where Khan is with McCoy, and tells McCoy to leave. He does, quickly. Remaining calm the whole time, Winona then punches Khan so hard he rolls backwards off the bed. And then, after she dishes out her threat, she just turns and walks away.
- McCoy's ex-wife, Pamela, could be a darker, Ax-Crazy example. She shot and killed several security officers while defending Joanna before said daughter was forced to stun her.
- Another Star Trek example, this time for the fic Written In The Stars: In an Off Screen Moment Of Awesome, Winona apparently, according to McCoy, "turned into a Mama Bear and scared the crap outta [Khan]" in order to persuade him into giving blood to heal Fem!Kirk.
Kirk: I'm guessing someone threatened Ama?
- In the same scene, Fem!Kirk's Prime counterpart muses that it runs in the family:
Kirk Prime: A group of Orion pirates when she was five. Their life expectancies were shortened to ten seconds.
Spock: [Sarek] described it as the only time when the High Council showed any form of emotion.
- Spock's mother apparently went Mama Bear on the Vulcan High Council when trying to stop the other Vulcan children from bullying him:
Kirk: Flat out terror? Well, that proves it. If you anger a mother, you must have a death wish.
- In the Transformers fanfic series Black Crayons, Sarah Lennox proves to be this for her daughter Annabelle, telling off soldiers, politicians and Transformers alike with a passion if she even thinks that her daughter is in danger. Ironhide once thought of a scenario where she given a cannon and unleashed on the Decepticons, which ended in her standing on what's left of Megatron's chassis.
- Grace Montello-Wayne from The Dark Knight fanfiction Question of Honor is trapped in Arkham Asylum thanks to Dr. Hugo Strange. When he threatens to induce early labor if she doesn't comply, she picks up a pencil with the intention of defending her unborn baby.
Grace: If you so much as touch me, I will drive this pencil into your throat...Batman may have a no-kill rule. But I don't.
- In the X-Men: First Class series Stars From Home, Ruth has become this to Ororo and Scott. Being a Super Soldier, she is very capable of following through on threats, nearly killing Raven, in front of Charles, for hurting Ororo.
- In the Jurassic World fanfic, It's not the Raptor DNA, Rexy is the mightiest dinosaur in Isla Nublar, and she'll chew through high-voltage wires to protect Elise, so don't screw with her pack.
- In Broken Bow, do not ever, EVER, attempt to harm, marry, or hide Armani Dove within the vicinity of Artemis, if you don't want to be attacked with so much force, that Athena thinks it could even destroy Zeus. It doesn't matter if you're Aphrodite, a clueless nymph, or even her own Brother... just don't.
- In Heir of Prince Harry turns out to be the long-lost son of Snape and Bellatrix Lestrange. This tidbit sends the other Death Eaters into a panic because, in Lucius Malfoy's opinion:
The dark lord was scary, but Bella in overprotective mother mode was lethal. He was slightly more afraid of Bella than he was of the dark lord.
- In No Hurry At All Mrs. Weasley goes ballistic when Dumbledore expresses his disappointment at Death Eaters having been killed during a fight in which most of the family participated.
Mrs. Weasley: You listen to me you old goat. If the price of my children being safe was to behead every single one of those murdering bastards, I would take up my meat cleaver and do it without one ounce of remorse. If my children are in danger, the Death Eaters are going down hard.
- In Transmuting Freedom, Professor Sprout's reaction to Snape telling Hannah Abbott that she's fit only for being a "street-witch in Knockturn Alley."
Pomona Sprout: HOW DARE YOU SAY SUCH THINGS TO ANY CHILD, YOU ABSOLUTE VERMIN! I OUGHT TO PUSH YOUR HEAD UNDER THE LAKE AND HOLD IT THERE TILL THE BUBBLES STOP, AND YOU CAN BE DAMN SURE I'LL BE LETTING MISS ABBOTT'S PARENTS KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID TO AND ABOUT THEIR DAUGHTER, YOU DEATH EATER SHIT! AND REST ASSURED, IF THEY PRESS CHARGES, I'LL BE TESTIFYING AT YOUR TRIAL. AGAINST YOU!
- When Bellatrix's three-weeks-old baby son disappears from Lestrange Manor after an Auror raid in The Curious Case of Romulus Lestrange, she became absolutely desesperate to find him. Unfortunately for the Longbottoms, she remembered Frank was there when baby Romulus was taken...
- After learning that Harry is actually Romulus Lestrange, Dumbledore muses he may be safer with this identity, as no Death Eater would dare to raise the hand against Bellatrix's only son. Sirius imagines her wrath and promptly concedes the point.
- Star Wars Legends AU Mara's Right Hook has a reporter who discovers it's NOT a good idea to drag Mara and Luke's son Ben into her sleazy questions. Mara clocks her so hard her jaw dislocates.
- Another Star Wars fic, Gladiatorial Jedi, ends in a double dose of Mama Bear Mara and Papa Wolf Luke. Mara's angry enough about Luke being captured and forced into a Gladiator Games ring, but then, Luke rejects the romantic advances of his ex, Callista, and she tries to get revenge by having young Ben kidnapped and sent to his death in the arena. When someone tells Mara they'll arrive at the planet in a day, she says that's how long the kidnappers have to live. And when they do arrive, she and Luke are both on the attack trying to protect their son, though Mara gets caught up battling Callista and can't help as much as she'd hoped.
- The Discworld fic Hyperemesis Gravidarum sees a new development for the Guild of Assassins. Several years after the first women officially graduate, inevitabiulity sees a trio of pregnant Assassins. And it's at a time when a desperate gang with nothing to lose are targeting Assassins. One in particular. The murder gang discover Lady Assassins are Mama Bears when pregnant. Not only for their unborn children. If a younger sister is deliberately targeted for killing, that's a Berserk Button for her pregnant older sister. And another might expect much from the girls to whom she is Housemistress at School. She will also fight like Hell for them as if they were her own daughters. It can only end one way for the terrorist gang. Especially when Mama Bear is assisted in the end by the soon-to-be grandfather of her child.
- Karofsky's mom in the Glee fanfic The Kurtofsky I Ms. There's a reason she demands to be called Mrs. Badass and the reason is that she beat up Azimio with a golf club when he tried to destroy Karofsky's car.
- Joanne DeSoto in this Emergency! fic. She loves John Gage like another of her kids, and when someone tries to attack John to get revenge on Roy, who he blames for,his brother's death, Joanne stops him with a tire iron to the head.
- While Buffy is already listed on the Live-Action page, her actions in the fanfic Ahead of Her Time deserve a mention. Over the course of the story she discovers that she will have a daughter with Spike a couple of years in the future (which all has to do with some prophecy, but that's another matter entirely). This happens through time-travel hi-jinks, allowing them both to meet said daughter; an adorable three-year-old named Eden who they both love and adore almost instantly. Then when she goes to explain everything to Riley in the last chapter:
Riley: "Prophecy is what you make of it, Buffy. If I staked him right now, what would become of your little prophecy? Spike would be dust, you'd come to your senses, and that disgusting hybrid thing would never exist."It was his nose that made the crunching sound this time, as Buffy's fist lashed out suddenly and smashed into cartilage. Crap, crap, crap. She'd hit Riley without even realizing what she was doing. Huh…protective instincts already in place. She just couldn't hear it, couldn't listen to him say such things about her child. About her miracle. About Eden. She could change the prophecy. Maybe that was the truth. But all it took was Buffy's mind pulling into focus the so-recent image of the little girlall blue eyes and soft skin and sweet little lips, and yes, even her tiny razor-sharp fangs, to know that she'd never, ever wish her away. Quite the opposite, actually. She would do everything in her power to make sure she did exist. Even if that meant putting her faith in one de-fanged but currently soulless vampire. Even if that meant letting herself admit that she loved him.Even if it meant throwing Riley away, tossing out her one shot at a "normal" life.Buffy: "Did you even see her, Riley? If you had, you wouldn't dream of saying that. And if you want me to leave this apartment before you're a bruised and battered heap on the floor, you won't say it again."
- In a Criminal Minds fanfiction To live again Alex Blake becomes this to Annie. With her (biological) son already died in canon it's especially understandable. When Annie's birth mother kidnaps her she moves heaven and earth to get her back, which could be considered as a Mama Bear vs Mama Bear situation if Kathryn wouldn't have been batshit crazy from the start.
- In the Battlestar Galactica fanfic Fail Better, Lucia is this to Laura and all the Adamas (being married to their ancestor, the first William Adama). She's one of the goddesses of light and a generally sweet woman (if a bit rebellious) who strongly believes in free will, but if you threaten her family you better run. Fast.
- In the Stargate Atlantis fanfic I See the Stars Diana Weir is a grandmother example of this, especially towards Ada.
Diana: *to Jonah* "They're the future - our future and the planet's. I won't let them suffer like we did."
- Mother Brainstorm in Calvin and Hobbes: The Series is normally a food-obsessed slob who doesn't do very much. The final story, however, shows a very different side of her personality when she stops eating and starts speaking in a normal tone upon learning that her son is in danger, promptly becoming much more competent.
- Every female character with a child in The Legend of Spyro: A New Dawn and its sequels, even the Big Bad Deadlock. Given most of them are female Dragons, it seems it's just a natural trait for them to have. Cynder takes it up a notch, due to her own horrific childhood making her want to protect her child from suffering the same thing. The only subversion is Queen Gorgon, the Queen of the Naga that Deadlock overthrew.
- Imperfect Metamorphosis: Kotohime, though typically maintaining a veneer of amicable dutifulness, has no quarter towards anyone who harms officers under her command, even if that individual happens to be Marisa Kirisame.
- In turn, Marisa's mother figure, Mima, is terribly protective of her. Marisa tends to get uncomfortable when Mima voices her concerns regarding the witch's mortality, and how to solve that little "problem". Of course, this doesn't stop Marisa from using it to coerce Mima into Yukari's god-killing hit squad.
- A Star Trek Online example from "Frostbite", of the A Mother to Her Men variety. Kanril Eleya is supremely pissed off when she finds out that the Breen have been holding part of her crew prisoner, and doesn't have much of a problem with jolting Dalsh Ruul around to make the knife Tess stuck in the Breen's back move about. It's to the point where Eleya's actual codename is "Mama Bear".
- In Gensokyo 20XX, try to use and manipulate Yukari's love for the children she cares to get her to kill them, try it and you'll find you won't succeed because, mentally ill or otherwise, Yukari will try to kill you. Seija learned the hard way.
- A pregnant Ran is a more downplayed example in Life in Gensokyo Village in chapter 10 but we clearly know she is a force to be reckoned with, stating that if Yukari and Reimu's birth-mother were to quarrel over who can have Reimu that she was to take Chen and Reimu and stay somewhere else.
- Marjorie Wilde-Wayne begins showing this in the Arkham City fanfiction The Last Laugh to her unborn child and rushing in to protect her newborn daughter, Sammie, when Azrael delivers his prophecy to Bruce in the finale.
- In the Mortal Kombat fic "In With The Old Out With The New", Sonya Blade, who is quite violently protective of her daughter Cassie as it is, is madder than hell after learning that Kano, who had kidnapped Cassie in revenge for her defeat of him, ended up raping her. By the time Sonya is through, Kano is seven different kinds of dead.
- Weiss Reacts: Every single female teacher and parent:
- Cinder almost took out a Mary Sue for hurting her class had she not had to protect them from a Grimm that had come in at the same time.
- Freya and Yin, Weiss and Yang's mothers, were pissed when they finally came face to face with Siegmund after he attempted to kill team RWBY.
- Beth, the school's caretaker, despite lacking a weapon, comes in and attempts to save Weiss from Siegmund.
- Fanfic/Domoverse: Ron's mother, Amanda, after Ron was kidnapped.
- Christmas With A Corduroy: Lynda, Dipper and Mabel's mother, is a rare negative example. Neurotic and overprotective, she treats Wendy with great hostility, after hearing about her antics and thinking she is a bad influence on Dipper and Mabel. After discovering Wendy's ax, and that she inadvertently stole a tree, she drives Wendy to tears after accusing her mother of being negligent, not realizing Wendy's mom abandoned her. She realizes she went too far, and apologizes.
- In the Rise of the Guardians fic Guardian of Light, the main character, Helen Bennett, is taken by Pitch. While the Guardians do show up to rescue her, they're not the first to show up; the first to show up is her adoptive mother, Bernadette Bennett, in a tag-team with her ex-husband. She's armed with only a baseball bat, which leads to one of the biggest Crowning Moments of Awesome in the entire story, complete with an awesome shout-out.
Bernadette: Get away from her...PITCH! (whacks him with baseball bat)
- Not to mention it's a Meaningful Name; 'Bernadette' means 'brave as a bear'.
- Helen's biological mother, Charisse, died protecting the newborn Helen from Pitch (along with Helen's elder sister, Eartha).
- In Seeds of Evil, Harley Quinn is this to her son JJ. When she catches Joker stabbing JJ and squirting poison gas into his face, she leaps in between them and knocks Joker away from him with her giant hammer, then tells him exactly what she'll do if he ever hurts her son again.
Harley: (advancing on Joker with the hammer) You filthy scum sucking CREEP! You lousy, good for nothing, son of a weasel! You hurt him!Joker: Now, Harley...I can explain!Harley: Go on! Try it! I dare you! (hits Joker in the stomach with the hammer, then grabs him by the shirt and pulls him up to her face) I love you, Puddin', but you stab my baby again and even Batman'll feel sorry for you! Got it?
- In Crowns of the Kingdom, Minnie is this, especially when Mickey is hurt.
- In the Code Lyoko fic Growing Family, after a botched attempt by Ulrich, Odd and Jeremie to explain where babies come from by telling Aelita to ask Yumi leads to Aelita programming a little girl based on a photo created by blending a photo of herself and another photo of Jeremie, Jeremie tries to get Aelita to erase said little girl, referring to her as a mistake. Aelita is furious, calling Jeremie out on his hypocrisy by pointing out that he thinks of her as a person and that she and the little girl (named Anya) were created with the exact same programming guidelines, even out-and-out stating she refuses to let Jeremie hurt her little girl. Fortunately Jeremie is talked around, helped by the fact that Anya has her mother's eyes.
- Webwork: Jade turns deadly serious when she sees Daolon Wong being relieved of his Shadowkhan Essence, and demands to know from Tarakudo what would happen to her young if it was used on her. And then she decides to stop holding back when Paco almost kills them trying to cure her.
- The Rango fanfic Old West has Grace Glossy who won't allow anything happen to her only child Teddy. When she's forced to accept Rattlesnake Jake's protection over her home, only the possibility of Teddy being targeted by mercenaries makes her tolerate the outlaw she (initially) despises. In addition to that, she rescues Mrs. Bigby and her baby from a conflagration because she can't bear to hear a child burning to death. When Bad Bill's gang beat up Teddy as a warning to her, she goes absolutely livid and beats them all up entirely by herself. Before Teddy was born, his nine unhatched siblings were killed by robbers who in turn were killed by Grace.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
- Twilight Sparkle in general is this in almost any fic where she's a mother. Be they adopted (Families, Guardian Angel) or biological (My Little Mommies, albeit not via the traditional way), mess with her kids at your own peril. Other repeat examples include Princess Celestia, Princess Cadance, Twilight Velvet and Derpy Hooves, among others.
- Ace Combat The Equestrian War: When the griffins raid Ponyville in chapter 4 to kidnap fillies and Dinky is taken, Derpy doesn't hesitate to fight three griffins all by herself.
- Chronomistress Out Of Time: Derpy who, upon thinking that her daughter might be in danger, gets out of a Lotus-Eater Machine with sheer force of will, then proceeds to take on an entire hive of changelings.
- Families: Twilight rips a tree out of the ground and uses it as a club against some teenage dragons threatening Spike! In the next chapter, Garble (the teen dragons' leader) makes Twilight so furious that she goes into Rapidash-mode and shoves a burning piece of wood through his eye!
Twilight Sparkle: "Get. Away. From. My. Son!"
- This line says it all:
- Integration: After Sci-Twi almost gets kidnapped, her sister-in-law Cadance spends the entire night next to her bed holding a giant baseball bat in case the Changelings attempt to do it again.
Cadance: "Don't you dare assume that I care for Twilight any less just because she came from somewhere else!"
- For context, in this universe, Sci-Twi's parents were killed in a car crash caused by a Drunk Driver when she was thirteen, and Shining Armor and Cadance gained custody of her soon afterwards. During the parent meeting in "Humans V", it's made perfectly clear that Cadance sees Sci-Twi as her own child, and is VERY offended when Rarity's mom says she doesn't know what it's like to see your child get bullied.
- Mirror's Image: Chrysalis. When her last daughter died from emotional neglect, she made sure the ponies who were supposed to be raising her went to prison, and stayed there. Plus, there's the whole "invading Canterlot to recover her daughter" thing.
- Nosflutteratu: When Twilight Sparkle discovers Fluttershy is a vampire, she naturally winds up pouring over her books for any information she can find on the subject. Rainbow Dash drops by just as Twilight is reading about methods to dispose of a vampire. Rainbow reacts... poorly.
- Past Sins: Do not hurt Nyx, physically or psychologically, or Twilight will demonstrate exactly why she is Celestia's protege. She'll even go so far as to attack Celestia herself if she thinks it necessary, though there are limits to even the Mama Bear power-up so fortunately nothing much comes of it.
- Pony POV Series: Ditzy Doo/Derpy Hooves grabs a mop and proceeds to beat the living tar out of Princess Gaia's birds who have come to carry her daughter away. She actually scares the crap out of the Big Bad doing this!
Mimic: "You float one inch towards my daughters I will kill you and seal your spirit in one of my horseshoes!"
- The Dark World version of her also qualifies. She kept going for a thousand years of none stop pain and suffering to keep her end of Discord's bargain to turn Dinky back (Discord turned her into a muffin). When the redeemed Twilight, Applejack, and Rarity rescue her along with Spike, she joins them to reunite the Elements so she can uncurse Dinky, being revealed as an awakened Element of Loyalty due to her loyalty to her daughter.
- Rarity goes Mama Bear when her baby sister Sweetie Belle is threatened. She even fights Cheerilee The Dragon to Princess Gaia, one-on-one and her zeal is enough to put them on equal hooves. Her rage was great enough that she almost killed Cheerilee if the others hadn't reminded her that Cheerilee was Brainwashed and Crazy at the time and they had to be careful.
- G1 Mimic's Dying Moment of Awesome is one of the most popular moments in the entire fic, due to the fact she managed to bust out Discord's tooth, becoming the only mortal pony to ever truly hurt him. We find out in "Origins" that she did it to protect Celestia and Luna, who were her daughters. It didn't help Discord essentually just emotionally curbstompped Celestia For the Evulz. The moment is preceeded by this Badass Boast:
- Exploited by Discord with his earthly mother Shady. He knows she loves him, and thus powers her up with an Element of Chaos, allowing her to be his loyal The Dragon and bodyguard, safe in the knowledge she loves him too much to let anything happen to him. Unfortunately for him, he didn't realize she might love him enough to realize he'd gone too far and had to be stopped.
- Starlight Sparkle (Twilight Velvet), when she sees her son AND daughter have been brainwashed by Chrysalis reacts this way and attacks her. Sadly, a gifted unicorn whose never been in battle verses a veteran alicorn level creature is STILL a lopsided fight, but she does manage to wound Chrysalis.
- Progress and spin-offs: Princess Celestia will ever so calmly, politely, and nightmarishly deal with you if you threaten her sister Luna.
- RainbowDoubleDash's Lunaverse: Ditzy Doo goes totally ballistic in A Hard Bargain when some gangsters kidnap Dinky to the point of lifting one miles into the air and dropping him to find out where they were hiding her.
"Kindness has limits.” Ditzy answered. “and I’ve reached mine.”
- Reality Checks Nyxverse: Twilight absolutely FLIPS when Nyx is threatened and nearly killed in Nightmare Night and Nyx. She's only stopped from committing murder by Celestia showing that Nyx was still alive.
Celestia: "DID YOU IMAGINE FOR A SECOND THAT I WOULD REFRAIN FROM BRINGING MY FULL POWER AND WRATH TO BEAR AGAINST ANYONE WHO TRIED SUCH A THING WITH MY MOST BELOVED STUDENT?"
- Celestia shows a bit of this in Alicornundrum when she threatens Lord Blueblood.
Velvet: "You won't have to worry about what Celestia will do to you because the last thing you will see in this world will be me taking a bite out of your still-beating hearts. Oh, and don't think I won't do it. My grandson is a dragon. I know how to get rid of the bodies."
- Twilight Velvet finally gets her Sparkle Clan brand moment of awesomeness in this manner in the same fic.
- Shipping and Handling: Ditzy Doo gets another dose of this, although since it's a shipping/comedy fic rather than an adventure story, both the trigger and the flipout are relatively tame (but we dread to think what would happen if her daughter Dinky was seriously threatened). She relatively meekly endures a verbal beatdown by the unicorn Glow, who's kind of a bitch, until Glow insults Dinky. At this point, Ditzy a) goes berserk, b) throws a serving pan at Glow's head, and c) tells her where to stick it.
- Derpy: "You can insult my eyes, my intelligence, and my disposition all you want, but I will NOT tolerate unkind words about my daughter! Now take it back, you overbearing, self-centered mule!"
- Six Brides For Two Sisters: Cadence was like this to Twilight Sparkle when they were younger. An older, unfamiliar colt is walking away with the filly you're foalsitting with promises of fun and candy? Poor Shining Armor never saw the Groin Attack coming. (Fortunately for Cadence and Shining's future romance, explanations and apologies were made afterward.)
- The Infinite Loops: In one loop, an accident of Discord's gone wrong causes an un-Awake Derpy to declare her intent to move out of Ponyville and take Dinky with her, rather than see her hurt again. Since Dinky is one of Ruby Pinch's few friends, this encourages Berry Punch to take her own steps to prevent it, by any means necessary. It eventually results in Berry being hospitalized by a pissed-off Derpy. Fortunately, this also causes Derpy to snap out of her rage. Once back to her normal self, she apologizes to Berry for her actions.
- The Party Never Ended: Derpy has another prominent moment of this when she uses thoughts about Dinky to motivate herself to help fend off the storm.
- The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments: Twilight again, in the chapter based on Of Mares And Magic (Sweetie Belle is traveling from one alternate dimension to another, and they're all based on various fanfics), when Sweetie is almost killed by a werewolf.
Twilight: "Nopony, no creature, no monster threatens my student!"
- Vengeance Of The Star: After watching her adopted son Spike killed by assassins, Twilight unleashes a magic burst strong enough to obliterate her room entirely and kill two of her assassins. The blast was so strong that Rainbow Dash could see it from Ponyville.
- What Have You Done: After Twilight had been kicked out of the Canterlot Wedding the only pony who acknowledges her absence is Twilight's mom, Twilight Velvet. When she can't find her in the library and when her friends don't know where she is, Velvet runs out of the reception only to be stopped by Princess Celestia. Velvet attempts to be respectful while trying to leave and look for Twilight, until Celestia keeps blocking her, and trying to reassure her claiming to know Twilight as well as she does. Velvet snaps, and tells Celestia that 1) You are the ruler of Equestria, but you are not Twilight's mother and 2)back off :
- Princess Celestia:“Twilight Velvet. Your daughter is fine. I assure you. I know my student just as well as you know your daughter and we both know that she’s-“Twilight Velvet:Most definitely not fine.”Twilight Velvet: “I do ever so apologize, Princess, but I must correct you on one little thing. Twilight may be your student, but she is my daughter. And she will always be my daughter. I know Twilight. I’ve known her for far longer than you have, and I know her far better than you ever can, because there are things she would never bare to you. I know her pain, I know her fears, things that you could never understand, because you are a goddess. A being above us. And I respect that. I honor you as my ruler, but I will never honor you as my sister, or as a fellow mother. Now, move aside, so I can save the mare that you helped break.”
- And Celestia does. Even the guards were amazed.
- Where Is My Love?: Derpy again. She even quotes Ellen Ripley when she sees Dinky being threatened by Amber Vain, who wants to kill both Derpy and Dinky, clearing the way for Vain to be with Prince Blueblood.
Derpy: “Get away from her, you bitch!”