Not shown in exhibit A: the legendary Grade S.
"Absolute Territory" (zettai ryouiki
(絶対領域) in Japanese) describes the area of bare skin exposed on the thighs between the skirt and stockings or socks for female characters. The term and the trope come from anime
, with the term being used as a homage to the AT fields
in Neon Genesis Evangelion
Zettai Ryouiki is made up of three components: socks (or stockings), skin, and skirt
As per usual for fandom who obsess about costumes
, this can be considered a moe
attribute and thus, appear prominently in character designs and schoolgirl outfits
, despite the fact that it kind of defeats the point of a uniform
Since a Zettai Ryouiki is defined by the length of the stockings or socks, some people have categorized it into grades depending on the length of the socks. This ranking system goes from Grade F to Grade Anote
. However, only Grades A (and thus S) and B are considered true Zettai Ryouiki.
As a relatively new phenomenon, the symbolism of Zettai Ryouiki only recently began to crystallize. Since it is, by nature, a sensual costume that symbolizes budding, innocent sexuality, as well as being as a stimulant for imagination and fantasies, it's a common trait for The Ingenue
who is already aware of her attractiveness but not (yet) cynical enough to put it to use (which is why many a Tsundere
wears Zettai Ryouiki). Of course, as with any symbols, Genre Savvy
characters can invoke
it on purpose even if they're not related nor do they consider themselves part of the associated archetype.
It has gained popularity around the world, especially in Japan, where it is a very popular fashion item with girls and young women, so the occurrence of Zettai Ryouiki can be regarded as Truth in Television
An Action Girl
may trade the skirt for hotpants
but if it doesn't include thigh-highs and visible skin, it's not Zettai Ryouiki. This trope not only covers socks, but Thigh-High Boots
See also Joshikousei
(a school uniform this trope is often combined with), Stocking Filler
(for stockings without the skirts), Mini Dress Of Power
, Who Wears Short Shorts?
, and She's Got Legs
. The core reason for this may also be tied to the Theiss Titillation Theory
. Compare with Opera Gloves
and Detached Sleeves
, which are the equivalents for arms. Contrast Proper Tights with a Skirt
As the length of this page proves, Zettai Ryouiki is Serious Business
Examples should be limited to Rank A and B. Use the page image to identify them. Also, be objective in writing the examples, without getting into fetishizing
open/close all folders
- Jlist.com now sells a shirt praising the style by name: Link.
- Recently (July 2013) Japanese PR firm WIT has started an advertising campaign where they place ads on young women's thighs, exploiting this principle.
Anime & Manga
- Kurumi's school uniform in Haou Airen. Also Reilan, who combines it with a Qipao shirt as part of her school clothes.
- Shana in Shakugan no Shana.
- Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Valliere in Zero no Tsukaima. As a Shana Clone, this isn't surprising.
- Taiga from Toradora!, not surprising for another expy of Louise. It also gets a lot of attention in the opening credits.
- Aria H. Kanzaki from Hidan no Aria, yet another Twin Tails wearing Tsundere voiced by Rie Kugimiya, who happens to be one of her schools elite S Rank students. Her zettai ryouiki are known to magically shift between A and B whenever she reveals the dual thigh holsters that she somehow keeps hidden under her skirt.
- Code Geass
- Kallen Stadtfeld in her school uniform, not to mention her Custom Uniform. She is also credited with popularizing the hotpants+socks variety of Zettai Ryouiki.
- C.C's new black outfit in R2 also uses the hotpants + socks variation.
- Suzaku might also have a fondness for Zettai Ryouiki◊. Sorta.
- Nunnally gets to use a B Grade Ryouiki in the Knightmare of Nunnally manga, as it's included in the Ashford Academy's middle school uniform. Same goes to Alpha Bitch Ekaterina, her Girl Posse, and Nunners's best friend Alice.
- Anya gets to use a Grade A while in her Knight of Rounds uniform.
- The technical term for the near-impenetrable shield with which the Shinkirou is equipped is the Absolute Defensive Territory (Zettai Shugo Ryouiki). Don't tell me, especially given the amount of real Ryouiki in this series, that that's not tongue-in-cheek par extraordinaire on the part of the writers.
- One of the two protagonists(?) of the upcoming Boukoku no Akito, Layla (the girl on the left)◊ has a Grade B.
- The comedy manga compilation Knight Volume 2 has a story ("Decide for Yourself" by Hina Mido) where C.C. actually launches into a rant about Zettai Ryouiki when Lelouch dismisses her question of "thigh-high versus knee socks" with "doesn't matter to me". Sadly this gets Lost in Translation, but anyone familiar with the concept can tell the original intent of the rant.
C.C.: What did you just say!? Are you stupid? This is for a school uniform! I'm talking about a mini-skirt! The knee-length socks which show our shiny knees, or thigh highs that highlight the area between the edge of our skirt and our thighs! If you don't have a hard time choosing between these socks, you don't know anything about school uniforms.
- Touka, the daughter of the Tennouji Family (from Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu 2nd season), has a Grade A Zettai Ryouiki, aside from twin tails and tsundere spoiled brat personality, making it a Grade S.
- Love interest Rion Akagami wears this in Cage of Eden, even when they're stuck on a tropical island inhabited by hordes of prehistoric animals.
- Lucky Star
- Mazinger Z: Sayaka Yumi tended to wear short skirts whether she was wearing her school uniform or casual clothes. And later in the series she wore a very short white-red skirt and knee-length, white boots. In the manga versions more female characters wore attires or uniforms that showed their tights, such like the Gamia or Minerva-X in Shin Mazinger Zero.
- Chiaki Minami,(occasionally worn by Kana at home) also the standard uniform in her school in Minami-ke.
- Kurumi Momose and Yuma Kashiwagi in Pani Poni Dash!.
- Matsuri Shihou's excellent Zettai Ryouiki is likely the source of her immortality in Sola.
- Seems to be a part of the standard school uniform in Zombie Loan.
- Similarly, it appears to be part of Stellvia Foundation uniform in Stellvia of the Universe.
- Yomi in Azumanga Daioh.
- Sai Hinoki from Betterman is a good example for this trope.
- Pretty much standard uniform for all female crew members in Starship Operators, but considering it is a Show Within a Show, one could blame it on Sex Sells.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Striker S
- Nanoha and Fate's basic Barrier Jackets in the third season seem to have been designed with this in mind.
- Fate's Barrier Jacket in the first two seasons, as well, and Nanoha's normal outfits (non-Barrier Jacket, non-school uniform) from those seasons. And the Lieze twins (very perfect "A" Grade). And Vita's normal non-combat outfit (only "B"-Grade, which is sad because she meets both of the added requirements for a Grade S). And Teana's Barrier Jacket and military uniform. And Sister Schach. Yeah, this show runs on Fanservice, alright.
- There's also the strange case of Reinforce, who has... only one sock. Reinforce Zwei, too - who has a long sock on the opposite leg from the original Reinforce.
- And now Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vi Vid adds Corona, as well as Lio and Einhart in their Barrier Jackets.
- Young Nanoha sported these in the OP of the first series.
- Alice since it's part of her school uniform, making her of the very few main characters who wears something else aside from her undine outfit.
- Aika wears the variety with shorts in Aria the Natural ep 19.
- Princess Rita Sior in Sisters of Wellber.
- Seemingly part of the school outfit on School Days. It's also humorously refered to, as an army of school girls in short skirts activate Zettai Ryouiki by putting on knee socks in an attempt to draw more people to their classroom for the School Festival. This instance is doubly notable as the last comedic occurrence in the anime before things go straight to hell.
- It's also part of the school outfit in the one Margaret attends in Madlax.
- And Kagura Tennouzou's school in Speed Grapher. IIRC, Kagura also uses Zettai Ryouki when she dones a very Stripperiffic outfit as the Divine Goddess.
- Yui and Haruna's school in Corrector Yui also has it as a part of its standard outfit. Yui's elemental suit makes the skirt, or even panties, pretty much pointless while initiating, also.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!. Considering that Ken Akamatsu has written about moe on his blog, this is certainly intentional, and shows up quite often, on Yue Ayase, Evangeline, Chachamaru (After her Mid-Season Upgrade, she seems to have the stocking component built into her synthetic skin, Ako, Natsumi and Akira in the Magic World, Nodoka, the other girls from Yue's magic academy, Asuna (Grade S, even)◊, Anya (also Grade S), Chisame and Makie, Yuna, Takane D. Goodman, Setsuna (on rare occasions), Ku Fei... even Negi joins in for a moment during a crossdressing Instant Cosplay Surprise during the school festival (as if the fox girl outfit wasn't enough).
- Yuuki Cross, and several of the female characters in Vampire Knight wear these.
- Momiji Sohma◊ from Fruits Basket is another male version, when he wears the girls' uniform at school◊. Motoko (the president of Yuki's fan club) is also a good example.
- Gungrave: Mika occasionally wears this.
- Shiori Takatsuki in the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie. (Zettai unmei mokushi-ryouiki! Um... sorry.)
- Scheris Adjani rocks a class B in her HOLY uniform in S Cryed, though thanks to her incredibly short skirt it may be misconstrued as a class C.
- Shino in .hack//Roots and her Expy Atoli in the G.U. games.
- To Love-Ru
- Lala Satalin Deviluke
- Yami manages to pull one off here as wellnote . It ranks as a Grade A.
- The three heroines of Ultimate Girls.
- Part of the standard uniform for most schools in Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora, and since the appropriately-named Academia (the series' setting) is a scholastic city (everything is, or is related to or servicing, a school), that means just about every girl in the city falls into this trope. By law.
- Mishio Maeno in Mnemosyne.
- Ranma ˝
- Female!Ranma while disguised as Ryōga's nonexistent sister, Yoiko.
- Akane as well, on occasion, notably at the start of the Martial Skating arc.
- Tsuyuri in Doujin Work.
- Frequently, Nico Robin of One Piece, if thigh-high boots count.
- Yoko from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann goes the hotpants route (which Kamina gets a good long look at). She later switches out the socks for boots of about the same length. She's has a Grade A but is missing the Girlish Pigtails required to qualify as Grade S.
- Several of the Claymores wear these, even in the dead of winter. But they are Half-Human Hybrids.
- Haruhi Suzumiya: Haruhi wears this a couple of times.
- Rosario + Vampire: Kokoa Shuzen, Mizore Shirayuki, and Yukari Sendo. With the hair, and the attitude Kokoa bumps up to Grade S! However with Mizore, they actually make it an obvious part of her Moe factor, when attempting to seduce Tsukune during moments with his Harem.
- Anzu used the hotpants + socks once, more exactly in the Marik and Noa arcs. Anzu also wears the socks + miniskirt in one of the ending animations.
- Rei◊ of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.
- Aki of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds.
- Kotori of Yu Gi Oh ZEXAL sports Grade A in one of her recurring outfits, as does Yuma's "Gagaga Clerk" card. Kotori's other outfits tend to feature this to some degree.
- Dragon Ball
- The trope is Older Than They Think: the belted dress-shorts and boots version was used by Mia from Ronin Warriors.
- And even older: Megumi from Voltes V uses the uniform miniskirt plus boots version.
- The eponymous "Black God" of Manga/Kurokami gets one when Akane dresses her up.
- Tsukino Azusagawa from Yakitate Japan.
- Jun's birdstyle in Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (a.k.a. Battle of the Planets).
- Jessie's Team Rocket miniskirt and thigh-high boots in the anime.
- Also, Lyra from both the anime and Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver sports a Grade B shorts version.
- In the Pokemon Special manga, Dawn's counterpart, Platinum, has higher stockings making her closer to a Grade B.
- Serena's anime outfit is a Grade A.
- Rosette from Chrono Crusade has thigh-high stockings and slits up to nearly her waist in her militia uniform, making it a variation of this trope.
- D.Gray-Man: Lenalee Lee. When you think about it, she's actually got Grade S Zettai Ryouiki at first, what with her Girlish Pigtails and all (though she's not much of a Tsundere). That is, until the whole Eshi incident. And her socks/boots give her magical powers. No, really.
- Seras Victoria from Hellsing, both anime and manga.
- Shinobu from Ninin Ga Shinobuden (a.k.a Ninja Nonsense). Extra points for doing this with a ninja outfit.
- Karin. She also gets points for pulling it off with a ninja uniform (for ninja in the service of Orochimaru, no less), though she uses shorts instead of a skirt.
- Naruto's mother Kushina also liked the look when she was young.
- Hinata wears them during the 300th episode Milestone celebration.
- Alsh the vampire from Bloody Kiss has his preferred Zettai Ryouiki at 10-15 cm.
- Love Hina
- Kaolla Suu seems to wear this quite a bit in the manga.
- Naru also wears this from time to time and the cover of book 7◊ she manages Grade A and Opera Gloves at the same time.
- Himeko from Himechan No Ribon is a borderline Grade B.
- Hayate the Combat Butler
- Nagi and Sakuya. The former a bona fide Grade S.
- Hinagiku tends towards the hot pants variety, and also gets points for being Tsundere, but no twin-tails.
- Even Isumi joins in on occasion.
- In the season 2 first opening, Ha—, er, Hermione gets the treatment, with the usual result.
- Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop, though with hot pants and not a skirt.
- In the 4th season of Mariasama Ga Miteru Yumi Fukuzawa starts dressing this way outside of school.
- In Pandora Hearts, this appears to be the Latowidge School girl's uniform. Note that this is not an all-girl's school, either.
- Sumire's high school in Venus Versus Virus apparently has this as part of the school uniform, and most of her casual outfits have this as well, ranging from Grade C to Grade A.
- Runo in Bakugan: New Vestroia is Grade S. (In Bakugan Battle Brawlers, she was a thoroughly unremarkable C-Grade, though she already had the other two parts of the S requirements). Sadly, she and the other two main girls from Battle Brawlers are pretty much gone by the second episode.
- Mira returns in Mechtanium Surge with a new grade A outfit.
- The sisters Mawata and Mayune from Pretear.
- Bludgeoning Angel Dokurochan. Dokuro has got to be at least a Grade A, maybe even S.
- The eponymous Shion of Shion No Ou exhibits Grade A Zettai Ryouiki, usually with a red miniskirt and white thigh highs.
- Nao Yuuki uses Grade B, especially when she's enticing older men to "date" her.
- Haruka Suzushiro is notable for being the only high school girl that sports it; all the other ones wear socks. Also Grade B.
- This seems to be part of the standard uniform in Mai-Otome.
- From 2007 onwards it was a requisite that at least one team member in a Pretty Cure continuity had this:
- Blue from Wolfs Rain uses thigh-high boots and a peacoat.
- The latest volume of Nora has Keini in Grade A. She already had the other two components for Grade S.
- Sumika from Sasameki Koto.
- Most people don't notice, but Macross Frontier actually has a lot of this.
- Nanase wears the traditonal variant with her school uniform.
- Ranka Lee has it with one of her stage outfits.
- Sheryl wears both the traditional and hot pants versions as well as a stripperiffic, one-legged version.
- Klan is Grade S.
- Yuki Nomura◊ from No Bra. And you'll probably not believe it, but that's a male example.
- Nodoka of Saki almost has all the requirements needed for Grade S. Just lacks the personality. Yuuki wears a very suspicious one too, and her personality is a bit more fitting as well.
- Ellis from El Cazador de la Bruja.
- Kaze no Stigma
- Kanon (one of Ren's school friends) wears A-Rank in both her school uniform and her street clothes. She also has twin-tails; unfortunately, she is not a Tsundere.
- Nodamiki from GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class, at least in her anime incarnation.
- Aoba Kozue from Mahoraba wears them as part of her personal wardrobe.
- Kenichi's sister Honoka in Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. Shigure also wears it regularly.
- Umino Masachika of Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai sports a solid Tybe B while wearing her school uniform. Most of her classmates wear there stockings somewhere below the knee.
- Kamen no Maid Guy has Token Mini-Moe Liz wearing this. And she even has the twin pigtails.
- These seem to be part of the school uniform in Seitokai no Ichizon. Even when they're wearing swimsuits, the stockings remain.
- The default female cadet uniform aboard the Libertad in Soukou no Strain is very definitely Grade A.
- Yukino's rival Maho Izawa in Kare Kano. This is actually included in the default winter/autumn uniform of their school, but Maho wears it outside school too.
- The girls from I"s. This manga is full of Grade A & B.
- Sieglinde Baumgard from Dragonaut: The Resonance.
- Emba from Wild Rock sports a Grade A male version of this (other characters too, but his is the most obvious).
- Airi of Queen's Blade fame/infamy qualifies. If she were Tsundere, she might possibly be Grade S.
- Ran Mouri/Rachel Moore from Case Closed/Detective Conan sports the look from time to time. It's quite noticeable in the first OP, where she uses Type A... If she wore pigtails, her Type B Tsundere traits would give her a Grade S.
- Hitagi Senjōgahara from Bakemonogatari, who would be a Grade S if Kuudere counts for the personality factor.
- Lunar of Seto no Hanayome: Double Pigtails? (Check), Tsundere? (check). Yep, we have Grade S.
- Madoka Ayukawa from Kimagure Orange Road tends to use both A and B. Another one who is Girlish Pigtails away from hitting Grade S.
- Hikaru Hiyama uses both A and B as well.
- Black Butler
- Maylene in snipermode comes to mind as well.◊
- Even Ciel too in the manga when he becomes Smile.
- Alois has the hotpants variation.
- Card Captor Sakura: Tomoyo definitely◊ loves◊ this◊ trope◊ and◊ dresses◊ Sakura◊ accordingly.◊
- In a non-schoolgirl-related example, the eponymous Nana Osaki of Nana likes to mix this with◊ garter◊ belts◊.
- Cute devil Dark Mu, of the Mutant Turtles: Legend of the Super Mutants OVA, sports this look combining red thigh-high boots with an equally red minidress.
- Aoi from Working wears these.
- In B Gata H Kei, the protagonist Yamada can be seen showing off Grade A while wearing her cheerleader outfit in the series opening.
- Madoka from Metal Fight Beyblade sports Grade A.
- Kiara the Amaranthine from There Beyond The Beyond.
- Angel Beats!
- Yuri sports a Grade B throughout the series.
- Shiori Sekine (the bassist) has Grade A.
- Shugo Chara!
- Utau has a Grade A in her black uniform. Add her signature twin tails and her tsundere attitude, and Utau Hoshina is officially a Grade S! Not to mention her Lunatic Charm costume, as well as Dark Jewel and Seraphic Charm. And Seraphic Charm's supposed to be angelic.
- Several of Amu's casual outfits have Grade A as well. ◊
- And Amulet Spade, which, instead of a skirt, has short shorts and adds garter belts.
- Amulet Diamond had a Grade A and Amu wears pigtails while transformed, although she is usually not tsundere.
- Amulet Clover◊ has a Grade A and pigtails as well.
- Sae from Amagami SS often displays this when in her school uniform, as does Kaoru in her waitress outfit (much to the protagonist Junichi's delight during her arc).
- Mitsuba and Miku from Mitsudomoe.
- Chocola and Vanilla from Sugar Sugar Rune both have Zettai Ryouiki, Chocola with a Grade A and Vanilla with a Grade D. How much you wanna bet that 90% of the time Pierre stares at Chocola's legs instead of her face?
- Soul Eater
- In the second ending for the anime, Maka's got some of this thing going on, specifically Grade A.
- Not to mention Blair, who has a Grade A with her thigh high boots and witch dress.
- And many variations of Maka's Spartoi uniform feature thigh highs.
- Kim Diehl and her weapon Jacqueline (who usually wear matching uniforms).
- Tsubaki has Grade A and combines it with Fashionable Asymmetry in her Spartoi uniform.
- Kirino from Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai displays Grade A in the fourth episode of the anime. Varying degrees can also be seen in some of the games she plays, which should come as no surprise given that she's a secret eroge otaku.
- The Arrancar Loly uses the boots plus miniskirt version — Grade A, more exactly. Since she has Girlish Pigtails, the only thing keeping her away from Grade S is being a Yandere instead of a Tsundere.
- Once the Hueco Mundo arc is over and she becomes a senior in Karakura High, Orihime Inoue starts wearing Grade A.
- New character Riruka Dokugamine has turned out to be a Grade S.
- Anime-only Nozomi Kujo goes between Grades A and C depending on how she's drawn at the moment, but usually is a B.
- In High School Of The Dead, Rei◊ has Grade A in her uniform and Saeko◊ has Grade A (plus garterbelts) when she borrows Rika's clothes.
- Kusakabe Maron, from Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, definitely counts. As a matter of fact, it seems this is part of the uniform.
- There's a ton in Black★Rock Shooter. It would seem that the girls' outfits are designed the way they are so that it would be easier for them to move. Maid Gunner◊ has thigh highs that would have made her a Grade B, but her skirt is too long for her to qualify. It only counts for Zettai Ryouiki when her skirt flies up to, not a panty shot, but high enough that the tops of her thigh highs are visible.
- Ryuuko Kounuma from Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest wears a one legged version. Sadly, in that particular picture it's mixed with Fan Disservice as she's tied up to invoke Distressed Damsel as a part of Haguro's plan.
- Maria from the Witchblade anime gets these after her personality changes.
- All Magical Girls from Puella Magi Madoka Magica except Homura. Madoka is a Grade A in her school uniform and a Grade C in her Magical Girl uniform. Sayaka is a Grade C in school and Grade A Magical Girl uniform. Mami is somewhat between Grades B and A in her transformed uniform, and Kyouko is a Grade A when transformed.
- Until, the Rebellion movie where Homura finally wears this in her Homucifer mode.
- Several characters in Freezing have some form of Zettai Ryouiki, as it seems to be a part of the standard Pandora outfit (even for battle!). The female lead is one of the few that do not, though she certainly attracts attention in other ways. (Underneath it she does have them.) Ganessa Roland is an unequivocal Grade S, however.
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
- Fittingly enough, Kneesocks in is a Type A. Except when she takes off the kneesocks to turn them into scythes.
- Also Stocking herself, who transform hers into katanas.
- Fairy Tail
- Erza Scarlet has a few armors that have donned this style and in some of the cover pages.
- Lucy on a few cover pages, and the clothes she gets from the Celestial Spirit World, usually has this.
- Wendy donned this in the Edolas arc and later on in the Tenrou Island arc.
- Mirajane's Take Over: Satan Soul gives her this in boots.
- Ultear and Meredy's battle outfits from the Tenrou Island arc.
- Juvia has Grade B under her dress as seen during her fight with Meredy.
- Sailor Moon
- Usagi displays a Grade S in the, well, "S" Movie.
- One of the outfits that Minako puts on in the opening sequence gives her a Grade A.
- Several girls in Blue Exorcist, but Kamiki Izumo is the only Grade S. She's got the thigh-highs, the tsundere personality, and her hair is (usually) in twin tails.
- Infinite Stratos:
- The gym uniform, a swimsuit with stockings◊, gives all the girls a clear grade A. More like skintight leg-warmers, though; the girls' ankles are also clearly visible.
- Houki also has it as a part of her uniform.
- Mio Isurugi from MM! has Grade A and a tsundere personality, but no twin tails.
- Ageha the Shinigami from Rinne — white stockings with a white Sailor Fuku.
- Although their outfits change almost every episode in Hime Chen Otogi Chikku Idol Lilpri, Natsuki/Princess Kaguya's standard princess outfit when using the Princess Fairytale card is grade A Zettai Ryouiki (borderline S). Surprising because she's technically wearing a kimono. She also has grade A with thigh-high boots when she's untransformed but then she's somewhere around the age of eight...
- Emi Kisaki from Kurogane no Linebarrel. Her black uniform sports long socks that almost touch her little skirt. She is a grade A.
- It's rather jarring that no one has bothered to mention one of the iconic Zettai Ryouiki wearers, Rin Tohsaka of Fate/stay night. A bonafide Class S, complete with Tsundere personality and Twintails.
- Haqua du Lot Herminium from The World God Only Knows is a grade A bordering on S due to her tsundere personality, but lacking the twintails.
- Fear and Konoha from Cube×Cursed×Curious both sport Grade A. Konoha, with her Girlish Pigtails, would be a Grade S if she were more tsun.
- Asaka from Cardfight!! Vanguard sports a Grade B.
- Taiwan from Axis Powers Hetalia wears a Grade A in Hetaween 2011, while cosplayed as the virtual idol Silverlight. May have bordered on Grade S if you see that she's wearing Girlish Pigtails (which she doesn't, normally) and if you count her interactions with her brothers as her being Tsundere.
- Vietnam also wears a Grade A one with a short kimono in Halloween event 2013. Further than that, she gets a Girlish Pigtails hairstyle and being Tsundere towards Taiwan somehow.
- The female uniform in the High School A.U. video game, Gakuen Hetalia seems to include a Grade C which Hungary, Liechtenstein, and Seychelles all sport.
- Maya Kumashiro from Occult Academy is a perfect example of the tsundere and zettai ryouiki as well.
- Medaka from Medaka Box has Grade B.
- Meroko of Full Moon o Sagashite is Grade A because she's tsundere to everyone but Takuto, especially Izumi. Lacks the twintails though.
- Oku-sama wa Mahou Shoujo has Cruje who wears a Grade A.
- Persona 4: The Animation has Rise Kujikawa sporting a Grade A (as does her Video Game counterpart).
- In Bloody Cross, Tsukimiya is between Grade A and B. Momose also has a Grade A in the outfit she wears in the first few chapters.
- Sora O Kakeru Shoujo
- The Surre Academy female uniforms default to an A-Rank.
- Honoka in her regular clothes.
- Ituski, Boo, and Min's Q-Tector suits.
- Also Boo and Min's regular police uniforms.
- Nami's regular clothes and transformed state.
- Imo's android's maid uniform.
- About 85% of the cast of Strike Witches manages a setting-specific variation between their striker units and lack of pants.
- Izumi Akazawa in Another has Grade A, twintails, and also, she has tsundere-like personality.
- Corona from Spider Riders wears thigh boots.
- Asuna from Sword Art Online.
- Hyouka's second ending theme has Ibara Mayaka displaying grade A — while dressed as Watson.
- Jasmine from Deltora Quest has a Grade A.
- Nyarko from Haiyore! Nyarko-san sports Grade A in both her school uniform and her iconic outfit (the one with the black apron and checkerboard-pattern skirt). Cuuko is a Grade S in her school uniform.
- Pirotess from Record of Lodoss War, who has a Grade A with her miniskirt and thigh-high boots.
- Shizuku from Sakura Trick manages grade A. Despite a cast of seven girls, she's the only one to wear thigh-highs.
- Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi seems fond of this. Dee is the most obvious example, and the Gedenburg sisters from the Goran Academy arc also sport this. Even Ai starts going with this fashion in the later novels.
- Illya in Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA when in Magical Girl form is Grade A. Rin, as always, is Grade S. Kuro meanwhile is Grade A aiming for Grade S, with only the Tsundere aspect still in development (she has the Twintails down perfectly).
- In Il Sole penetra le Illusioni, Akari and Seira are both Grade A. Akari goes with the miniskirt/thigh-high socks combo, while Seira wears her thigh-highs with short shorts.
- Girls und Panzer has some of the eponymous girls sporting these (Bordering between Grade A and B): Saori, Aya Oono, Saemonza and Kay, the last one with either miniskirt (school uniform) or shorts (during battles).
- Kagerou Project:
- The Chevaliers (aka Conquest Club) of Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! have Grade B...and the three of them are male.
- The girls in Shinmai Maou no Testament are shown wearing them from time to time, such as Mio in her school uniform.
- Tom Morello's Orchid of the eponymous comic book sports a grade A level of this.
- Envy in Scott Pilgrim, big time. She ranges from Grades C and B in volume 3 and manages to hit a solid A in volume 6.
- Hell, most of the main female characters exhibit it multiple times.
- Gwen Stacy is, in the mainstream continuity and The Amazing Spider-Man, famous for this look.
- X-23 at times sports this look in her civvies. Most evident in this◊ outfit from Target: X, and in most of her clothing throughout NYX.
- One of Jack Cole's Playboy comics featured a bar graph representing the past and projected growth of the American economy (or something like that) formed out of the stockings of three subjects. The caption has been lost, but the picture can be seen here (probably safe for work) and almost perfectly parallels the A-F scale.
- The Korean version of Mazinger Z called Robot Taekwon V gives us Mary, who wears thigh-high boots and a short skirt. Early example.
- In Dancing with the Stars, Season 11, one of Brandy's costumes had her dancing in a schoolgirl outfit with long stockings. Given the on-and-off tension between Brandy and her partner Maksim, this was probably a deliberate attempt to invoke Grade S Zettai Ryouiki.
- Geum Jan Di of Boys Before Flowers, sports this on every episode of the show along with her school uniform.
- In the Wizards of Waverly Place episode Dad's Bugging Out, Alex was rocking a grade B look with her outfit.
- Ally in Austin & Ally wears a Grade A in the episode Tickets And Trashbags
- In Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, Kotoha Hanaori typically sports either the Grade B or C variant.
- This is a staple of most of Avery's wardrobe in Dog With A Blog.
- Community, in "Regional Holiday Music", with Annie's Sexy Santa Dress worn to coerce Jeff into the Glee Club.
- Alexis Castle (Molly Quinn) rocks this in her publicity photo in the early seasons of Castle.
- Madison Montgomery (Emma Roberts) frequently wears this style and many other hot outfits in American Horror Story: Coven.
- Allison Argent in Teen Wolf seems to have a fondness for short skirts and long hose, though the hose have been scanter of late.
- Dollhouse: Given their most frequent purpose is to live out their client's sexual fantasy, many of the ladies (particularly Eliza Dushku as Echo - who wears Grade A no less than twice in the opening credits alone) end up wearing Grade B through S depending on their current imprint's personality. Deconstructed somewhat in that the people who subscribe to this kind of Fetish Fuel In-Universe are usually portrayed as pathetic and shallow.
- In the "His & Hers" episode of Are You Being Served?, the salesgirl for the His & Hers fragrances arrives at Grace Brothers in a tunic with matching slacks. When both Mrs. Slocombe and Mr. Grainger deny her access to their respective departments' changing rooms, she simply removes her slacks in the middle of the sales floor, turning her tunic into a very short minidress and revealing the grade A variant.
- In Andrew Bird's song "Fake Palindromes", the girl's got red lipstick and a bright pair of shoes; she's got knee high socks, what to cover a bruise. She's also got blood in her eyes...
- It's the subject of Ken Ashcorp's song "Absolute Territory".
- Also the subject of Arctic Monkeys' song 'Knee Socks'.
- Ariana Grande rocks this look in her music video The Way.
- Vocaloid is full of Zettai Ryouiki.
- For starters, Miku Hatsune wears thigh highs and a skirt (actually, they're thigh-high boots, but many people don't even realize this).
- Nearly every single fan-made variant of Miku Hatsune (Zatsune, Zumi Hatsune, Kiku Juon, Sai Tonarine, and Kiru Meikane are a few examples) has Grade A, and usually has pigtails.
- Luka Megurine has Grade A as well.
- Neru Akita has Grade A thigh-highs (boots), a tsundere personality, but unfortunately, only a side ponytail. Disappointing, but she is the closest you'll get to Grade S when it comes to Vocaloid.
- Rin Kagamine's new Append version bumps her up to a Grade B and a half. Hey, 54 centimeters falls right in between, so we don't know what else to call them. Isn't our job so hard?
- Lily has Grade A with thigh-high boots, but hers are more pimped out than the rest of the Vocaloids.
- Teto Kasane has Grade A with twin drills.
- Iku Acme has Grade B.
- SF-A2 miki sports a Grade C thanks to her striped socks.
- And then Vocaloid3 pretty much cranks it up to twenty-two. Of the eleven that have been confirmed (not including the Gumi and VY 1 upgrades), five and one-half fit this trope: SeeU, Ring Suzune, Aoki Lapis, Akikoroid-chan, and Cul, plus IA, who has a one-leg version (hence the one-half). That's not even counting the Vocaloidols, of which at least several are going to follow suit.
- The Nameless Protagonist and her Superpowered Evil Side of the song Revenge Syndrome wear Grade C and Grade S, respectively. Coincidentally, the latter girl looks like an IA (who sings the song) Expy.
- Katy Perry's legwear in California Gurls is so high it's mistaken for tights in the video. For some reason, it becomes 10x sexier when you see the behind the scenes video and realize it's actually grade A (or higher) Zettai Ryouiki.
- Tissue-Hime, a Japanese bassist well known for his crossplay outfits of various female anime characters, often sports Zettai Ryouiki of various grades in his videos. An example can be seen here.
- Uruha, the lead guitarist of Visual Kei band The GazettE has sported this more than once, though with booty shorts rather than skirts.
- Sever, the lead singer of the band Sumo Cyco, has Grade B in their music video for Interceptor.
- The Kpop girl group Rania has a darker and edgier version for their PV Dr. Feel Good.
- The green-haired girl from Oh Oh Oh Sexy Vampire wears pink boots, which comes close to a grade B.
- All three Caramella Girls in the official video for Caramelldansen. (But not in the follow-up Boogie Bam Dance.)
- This music video of fripSide's sister's noise features the lead singer with Thighhigh Boots and her visible thighs beneath her skirt.
- KOTOKO wears a Grade B version of this in her unfinished PV which is used for the 1st ending theme of Accel World.
- Kerli exhibits this trope in several videos, notably "Walking on Air", "Tea Party", and the dance break of "Zero Gravity", the latter using thigh-high go-go boots and a microskirt.
- Kym Sims in the music video for "Too Blind To See It".
- One of the girls from Rick Astley's "Together Forever" has Grade B.
- The Pathfinder Iconic Witch Feiya is a type B◊. Her family is even a Tien ("Asian") family which crossed the Crown of the World to enter the Viking-themed Land of the Linnorm Kings on the other side of the world before she was forcibly trained as a witch against her will.
- Quite a few characters sport this look in Malifaux, including Colette Dubois, McMourning's nurse assistants, and various mercenary swordswomen.
- The entire Duel Maid III line if collectable figures feature this trope. Every maid is dressed in a short dress with thigh stockings.
- The Lollipop Girl doll line has loads of this. One doll sports grade B and two sport grade A in the first edition line.
- Rin Tohsaka in Fate/stay night. Let's see... 57 cm stockings: check. Double pigtail: check. Tsundere: check◊. Yes, Rin Tohsaka is Grade S! Rider does not have a grade as high as Rin's, but she certainly qualifies too.
- The universe finally borne another special example: Astolfo of Fate/Apocrypha. Why special? He had a verifiable Grade A without being a Wholesome Crossdresser.
- When wearing the Dress of Heaven, Ilyasviel von Einzbern qualifies as a Grade A.
- Sion Eltnam Atlasia from the spin-off Melty Blood packs a pair that rivals Rin's.
- Ciel in her Seventh Holy Scripture outfit also has this.
- Umineko no Naku Koro ni
- Jessica definitely has this, and depending on your definition of knee socks (they stop literally just below the knee), so do many of the other young female characters, including Maria.
- Beatrice from has a whole Grade B going on when she appears in the gameboard◊ in Turn of the Golden Witch, with an addition to her Tsundere personality.
- The Siestas have an interesting version of this, as although their boots reach up to their thighs, and they do wear mini-skirts, said skirts are split open in the front (they wear leotard-type things underneath), effectively ruining the look.
- Ange pretty much screams Grade S: Pigtails, short skirt, and optimal thigh exposure, though she's much more of a Kuudere than a tsundere.
- Tanaka You in Ever17 has this when dressed in her LeMU uniform.
- Nayuki, Kaori and Shiori in Kanon. Makoto successfully attains Grade S ZR. At least a couple times.
- Tamaki Kousaka, Sasara Kusugawa, and the Himeyuri twins in To Heart 2, all have Grade A.
- Kyou (and Ryou, although after a while she stops wearing them) in CLANNAD — even when playing basketball. Kyou's power is truly without limit.
- Miyo Takano of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has this as part of her nurse outfit.
- Also from the same series, the Angel Mort outfit seems designed with Zettai Ryouiki in mind.
- Rena's outfit is a twist — she wears the thigh socks but her skirt is very long, which would normally disqualify her. However, sometimes she has "Zettai Ryouiki Flashes" where her thighs are visible through the skirt's long side slit, as is clearly visible in this image.
- Every single girl in SHUFFLE!, at some point or other. Mostly in their school outfits.
- Ameri in Tayutama is a definite Grade S in her school uniform.
- The creators of Koihime†Musou LOVE this. Almost everyone in the show/game's massive, almost all-female cast wears this.
- Kazuha from Yosuga no Sora has Grade A.
- As if Ace Attorney's Ema Skye wasn't cute enough already, her look in Ace Attorney Investigations' features this trope.
- Trucy Wright had a grade C that showed very little skin (due to her large skirt) in Apollo Justice; however, during the next year, she became taller and therefore, in Dual Destinies, she is showing more skin than before (although she is still a grade C because her boots are the same).
- Shizune Hakamichi from Katawa Shoujo has a Grade A.
- In school uniform and with her prosthetic legs, Emi Ibarazaki has a Grade A too. She's only one Tsundere personality away from Grade S as well.
- Several outfits in Canvas 2 seem designed with this in mind. Elis' casual wear comes to mind.
- Haruka, Kud, Sasami and Kurugaya from Little Busters! use Grade A.
- Most of the girls from Chaos;Head has this to some degree.
- The dragon in Dra Koi gets a school uniform somehow when she takes on a human form, which includes Grade A stockings.
- Blue Destiny's uniform in M9 Girls! is a type A. From all the M9 Girls, her uniform is the one that mostly resembles a classical Magical Girl attire.
- The Wotch
- Kimiko does this very well in one of the MegaTokyo posters and in this magnificent poster.
- Fuchsia the succubus gets into this in Sinfest when she dresses up as a schoolgirl to pander to her crush on Criminy.
- The title characters of the Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi after chapter 1.
- Yuri Zahard from Tower of God has this with black stockings.
- Kit in the third chapter of Fey Winds, of the thigh-high boots variety.
- Sarah often does this in Building 12. Peoni also gets one in one of the Fanservice Pages. As a nurse.
- One of Cassiel's many Fanservice outfits in Misfile in this strip Emily as well.
- Just about all of the characters in Moe Moe Niji Taisen.
- Naturally considering its Mangaesque origins, Experimental Comic Kotone is loaded with them. The title character gets most of these, but Anya, Laika, and Lisa all get their chances as well.
- Yuki from Ménage ŕ 3 also sports the look.
- Angel Moxie: Tristan starts wearing stockings with her warm-weather uniform in this strip — and has to argue with a teacher that it isn't against the school's dress code on the next page.
- In The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!, the skirt and gogo boots Galatea sports in France would count — although the viewer's enjoyment may be hindered by the fact that her legs have fur (although some folks... oh never mind...).
- Erfworld has Prince Tramennis, more girlie than the female characters in an armor skirt and jump boots.
- June of Domain Tnemrot has so far been shown wearing this, along with a collar.
- Vriska from Homestuck when wearing the dress Kanaya made for her.
- Her dancestor, Aranea, displays it in her usual dress, having it at Grade B. Roxy's dress in Act 6 Act 4 combines Grade B Zettai Ryouiki with Kicking Ass in All Her Finery.
- In Eerie Cuties, the uniforms for the All-Ghouls School Charybdis Heights have this at Class-C.
- In the Spin-Off Magick Chicks, the Artemis Academy school uniform includes Grade A.
- In Dangerously Chloe, summoned Chloe had Grade A — this may or may not be the uniform of succubi-only school to which she got temporarily transferred.
- Strawberry Death Cake's main character, Marilyn, sports Zettai Ryouiki as her default outfit, combined with Of Corsets Sexy.
- In Rain, Rudy takes on this look as part of a Halloween costume. DID I MENTION HE'S A GUY?
- The Cheerleaders, a trio of supervillains from the Global Guardians PBEM Universe, consciously make use of this trope as part of their "Jiggle Fu" distraction powers against male opponents.
- All OS-tans have been depicted wearing Zettai Ryouiki at some point. It is especially popular with XP-tan and Firefox-ko.
- In the Whateley Universe, Jade has discovered this. Along with the formula. Fear her!
- About 85 Percent of dancers in any fan-made or official Caramelldansen Vid.
- Almost all the girls from Roosterteeth's Pajamachievements series rock this look, most sporting either a Grade C or B, with pajamas of course.
- Clawdeen from Monster High wears her socks at Grade B. Some background characters sport Grade C and B as well.
- Gaia Onlines Cindy Donovinh has Grade A red stockings to go with her miniskirt.
- Fionna, Finn's Gender Flip counterpart in Adventure Time, sports a Type B.
- Stacy of Phineas and Ferb switches between grade B and C.
- From The Powerpuff Girls, HIM has these.
- Lana and Katya, both Action Girls from Archer. Lana's outfit usually consists of a short skirt and thigh high boots, while Katya wears stockings.
- Cheshire from Young Justice has grade A with a skirt and high stockings.
- From Ben 10: Omniverse, cousin Lucy ranges from a B to an A, with a one-piece top and high socks in her human form.
- It has been jokingly stated that Big Bad Vilgax◊ has grade A zettai ryouiki in his original appearence