Since Raizou Shichikawa is left homeless and destitute after his grandmother dies, he accepts a job as a housekeeper at a Mitou mansion. He finds the family a bit weird, but things get more weird when one of the resident's arm gets severed and reattached without blood loss. That is because the Mitou family is composed of kotodama masters and kami. The kotodama masters wield a word-base power, and the kami-sama are human-like paper doll creations who heal their master's wounds caused by using kotodama.
The partnership between kami and kotodama-sama must be between between partners of the same sex to apperantly discourage them from having sex and falling in love, or something like that. But since this is a Boys Love
manga of course there's lots of yaoi sex and even some yuri sex.
This manga contains
- Anguished Declaration of Love: All of the main couples at one point go through this.
- Back from the Dead
- Bastard Boyfriend
- Berserk Button: Don't touch the box in Waki's room. Ever.
- And if you harm someone's kami-sama or use them while they already have a master, said master will usually react violently.
- Bifauxnen: Or more like Lady Looks Like A Dude
- Bi the Way
- Boys Love
- Cast Full of Gay: Both of the yuri and yaoi persuasion.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Twins Tsukito and Seiji develop a hobby of teaching Kotoha "dirty talk" and sexual meaning behind words, much to Konoe's horror and frustration.
- Cosplay: Ouka and her kami-sama Benio are often dressed in costume rather than regular clothing, for no reason other than Ouka's enjoyment. Benio's clothes tend to lean more towards Sexy Whatever Outfit.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend
- Humans Are Bastards: Moriya held this view until he met Ryuusei.
- Interspecies Romance: Between a human and a paper doll.
- Jerkass: Quite a few characters.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Love at First Sight
- Loving Force
- Magnetic Hero: Rikiichi. Kami-sama and human alike hold him in the highest regard. This status is more obvious when he died. His death utterly devastated the Mitou family, and even kami-sama see the time before he died as "golden, peaceful times".
- Power Incontinence: Kotoha
- The Power of Love: This is what brings Asari back to Shoui in volume 9, and what allows Asari to regain his memories when he shouldn't be able to.
- Raised by Grandparents
- Reason You Suck Speech: Asari is fond of these, and gives them to numerous characters.
- The Scapegoat: Shoui serves as this for the Mitou family for many years, when his kidnapping as an infant led to numerous deaths, including of family patriarch Rikiichi and Waki's kami-sama Megane. Because of this he's scorned by family members and numerous kami most poignantly his own kami Asari.
- Token Minority: despite his name Raizou is not Japanese
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Death can do that to a kami
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Fraternal twins Tsukito and Seiji share the same kami-sama Hatsuhi. At the same time.
- Wife Husbandry: Konoe and Kotoha. But unlike most in the trope, Asari uses the context of their relationship to strike a "death blow" whenever he argues with Konoe.
- Words Can Break My Bones: The kotodama powers in the Mitou family involve the power of words. By invoking their power whatever they wish can happen. But they must pay a price for using kotodama, and it's usually physical damage to their bodies, thus the existence of kami-sama to absorb their pain. Spells vary between the violent (ex. when various characters curse someone to die or humorous (ex. when Genma curses Ryuusei to never get an erection around women again.