Yuugiou Mystery Card Game Theatre
Yuugiou Mystery Card Game Theatre
is a MST
fanfics, featuring stories from Duel Monsters
, 5D's and Zexal.
'' Three original characters
gather "every Friday"
at Biggs' apartment to read one or two fanfics and critically tear them apart.
The riffers include:
- Biggs: A former fan fiction writer, who has a chip on his shoulder after giving up the practice and deliver fierce critique against his former-peers.
- Eric: Hardcore Yu-Gi-Oh fan who watches all episodes and collects all the manga. Anything that deviates from his sacred canon isn't received well.
- Jessica: The girl of the group. She seems to represent the majority of fanfic writers in her love for yaoi and thinks of little else.
Extras have appeared in the form of Yonban, a mysterious guy who fills the trio in when it comes to duels, his cousin, Hikari, and Biggs' neighour, Earl.
- Accentuate the Negative: The general tone of all the characters.
- The Alcoholic: Biggs and Eric.
- All Men Are Perverts: Certainly counts for Biggs.
- Ascended Extra: It's implied that Yonban was going to be a one-shot character. The readers took to him well, granting him a regular spot in Biggs' apartment.
- Back from the Dead: Biggs claims this about Eric in the 9th review. Eric was never really dead.
- Berserk Button: Canon Defilement is a major one for Eric. After 5D's ended, bringing up either Zone or Zexal becomes another.
- Big "WHAT?!": A few. Eric in learning he's drinking a cup of coffee almost 2 months old, then again when Jessica tells him people are shipping Yuma and Astral. He holds back flying off the handle by resorting to just this when Rebecca and Kaiba dating is brought up in one fic.
- Biggs and Eric have a unanimous one after finding out they're going to look at Zexal fics with the potential of yaoi.
- Big "YES!"
Review: Its not rape if u like it! XD …It is wrong that i like this? DX … poor Astral(
- Brain Bleach: The characters reguarlly state they need it. Eric answers those prayers with his return.
- Brick Joke: At the beginning of chapter 6, Jessica complains she wants cookie dough. By the end of the chapter, she's disturbed by what cookie dough has been used for and declines Biggs' offer.
- Canon Defilement: They find it, Eric will not be impressed.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Yonban's first experience with alcohol doesn't take much before he's on the floor alseep and stroking a beer can.
- Caustic Critic: All three of the major characters. The guys much more than Jessica.
- Chekhov's Gag: In chapter 4, Biggs plots to pour his coffee over Eric, but fails when Jessica arrives. 2 chapters later, Eric drinks said coffee, only to be horrified to learn it's the same one.
- Children Are Innocent: Hikari is much happier dealing with fics than the older riffers.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Yonban and Earl. Eric is convinced the fic authors are this.
- Comically Missing the Point: Jessica in the Broken Innocence review.
- Curse Cut Short: In the third chapter.
- Deadpan Snarker: All three of the main characters.
- Don't Explain the Joke
- Double Entendre: After Eric blows up one of Biggs' walls, Earl makes his first appearance with one.
Earl: Hey, Biggs. Nice hole♥.
- Double Standard: Rape—Male on Male: Jessica doesn't seem to mind about consent when it comes to yaoi.
- Drinking Game: They make a few. Chapter 5 has a challenge in the form of one, which tells readers to down shots when bonds, despair, yaoi and Zexal come up.
- Driven to Suicide: Eric's reaction to Zexal. He gets better
- Dub Name Change: Orichalcos becomes "Oracle" in Sealed Love. While Eric's gone, Biggs and Jessica refer to the Pharaoh as "Yami" rather than "Yami no Yuugi".
- Dynamic Entry: Eric in Chapter 9 and Yonban in Chapter 10.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Yonban. So much so, he appears again when duels crops up.
- Expy: Eric has dubbed Black Mist as Zexal's Divine due to his primary role in the fandom being a threat to a relationship between Yuma and Astral.
- Fan Nickname: In-universe. Eric and Jessica call Judai "Allen" in the 9th review. Biggs calls Eric "the resident Canon Nazi".
- Foreshadowing: In one review, White Asuka Lover gave the trio his fanfic Sealed Love to riff. Eric states they'll take on the challenge. Three chapters later and they start taking it on.
- Five-Man Band: Sort of:
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: Biggs and Eric believe, Jessica disagrees.
- Gratuitous Rape: Biggs names this as a problem, especially concerning yaoi fanfics.
- Grammar Nazi: Biggs likes his fanfics actually readable.
- Gueststar Party Member: Yonban, Hikari and Earl.
- He's Back: Eric, after taking an chapter out.
- Hypocritical Humour: Occassionally used, such as in the Sealed Love review.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Said a few times.
- I Lied: Biggs states this to Jessica about the prospect of a yaoi fanfic appearing.
- Idiot Ball: Picked up in fanfics. This doesn't go unnoticed, especially when Yugi grabs a hold of it in Sealed Love.
- Insistent Terminology: Eric won't accept the terms "yamis" and "hikaris/tenshis" to refer to Yami/Bakura/Dark Marik and Yugi/Ryou/Marik respectively.
- Interspecies Romance: Yuma and Astral. Lampshaded quite a bit.
- Long Lost Relative: Although not to Yonban, his cousin, Hikari shows up without any previous mention.
- Mary Sue: Oh they come across them. Biggs and Jessica even dub Anzu one in Sealed Love.
- Moe: Hikari.
- Name's the Same: Played for Laughs when Two Souls, One Deck has a Jessica.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Eric blames Biggs and Jessica for the update of Sealed Love just days after they started riffing it.
- No Fourth Wall: There was. Then the riffing began.
- OOC Is Serious Business
- Once an Episode: Making a reference to White Asuka Lover, whose fic was the first target.
- The Other Darrin: After 3 chapters, the original writer handed the project over to another.
- Pokémon Speak: Biggs tries this when Misuki's name comes up all too frequently in Kathy's Sister.
- Power Trio: Biggs, Eric and Jessica.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "Astral. Is. Stoic!"
- Rage Quit: Jessica does this in the fourth chapter after being denied yaoi. She uses the time to get revenge.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Lampooned frequently.
- Running Gag: A few, the most consistent being the mentions of White Asuka Lover.
- "Oh hai (punctuation/character)".
- Comparisons drawn to D. Gray-Man in chapter 9.
- Say It with Hearts: Earl. Though said hearts were Dummied Out by FFN's document manager.
- Hikari has emoticons at the end of most of her lines.
- Jessica lampshades this in asking if everyone "is going to have something 'cute'" to go with their dialogue.
- Schedule Slip: The gap between chapters 3 and 4 was 18 months. They haven't been that bad since.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Eric tries on one occasion, though he's quickly stopped by Jessica.
- Self-Deprecation: There're jabs towards the writers themselves.
- The second writer even takes shots at themselves in believing they're not as good as their predecessor.
- Serious Business: Fanfic reviewing is definately this.
- Shout Out: To various anime, including Neon Genesis Evangelion, Chaos;Head, The Tower of Druaga, Natsume Yuujinchou, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Asura Cryin, Tsubasa Chronicles, D.N.Angel and School Days.
- The Smurfette Principle: Outside Hikari's appearance in the Sealed Love review, Jessica is the only girl about.
- Squick: Biggs says this in response to Judai's Eye Scream.
- Stalker with a Crush: Biggs calls Johan this in My Left Eye Sees Ghosts.
- The Stinger: The Writer's Angry Note of the Week.
- Stunned Silence
- Surrounded by Idiots: Each of the three feels this about their company.
- Take That: All over the place.
Biggs: At least we don't resort to "?" for our unnamed characters…
- Tempting Fate
- When the 9th chapter was posted shortly after the previous, Biggs and Jessica make comments suggesting that this could be what follows. Cue Schedule Slip.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Eric's mindset in coming to each session.
- Three Plus Two: Biggs, Eric and Jessica + Yonban and Hikari.
- Token Mini Moe: Hikari.
- Trauma Conga Line: The Zexal fics have a habit of putting the central character through this.
- Two Guys and a Girl: The main trio. To a lesser extent; Yonban, Earl and Hikari.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Eric and Biggs. They can be towards Jessica at times.
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: In the third chapter when the three drop a unanimous Atomic F-Bomb.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Jessica.