open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Satoshi Furutorisui from Secret of the Tripower. Constantly taking pictures of girls when they're together.
- Tsumugi Kotobuki from K-On!, is this. She frequently has daydreams whenever two girls are holding hands, standing close to each other, and at one point is openly jealous of the skinship between the other girls, to the point that she's seen as having Yuri Goggles... But much less so on the anime.
- Pictured above: Hiyori Tamura in Lucky Star. She is also implied to be a Yaoi Fangirl but it is never elaborated further in the series.
- The all-girl high school in Otome Kikan Gretel seems to be populated by yuri fangirls, who squee when they watch Mariya and Yuu kiss. But then again, they are all implied to be Schoolgirl Lesbians, as well.
- The girls from Maria-sama ga Miteru often seem to be rather interested in the amorous entanglements between other girls at their school, although this is rather downplayed in the anime. In the Light Novels, however...
- Yurina from Hana no Yurina Gumi in one Yuri Hime S anthology is a very obsessed Yuri Fangirl. She goes to an all girls school and as president of the school's literature club, she writes fiction pairing up some of the students. She's also been known to Squee! and gush quite loudly when two female students touch their hands together.
- Ushio's brother, Norio from Sasameki Koto, who writes Girls Love novels. And Azusa, one of Ushio's classmates, is a huge fan of his novels - though is very uncomfortable when first confronted with actual lesbians Tomoe and Miyako, because she's really only interested in dramatic stories full of subtext.
- In Haruhi-chan, Yuki Nagato is a yuri fangirl. Yes, really. In the original, she seems strangely interested in shipping Haruhi and Mikuru together.
- Onsokumaru and the ninjas of Ninin Ga Shinobuden are pretty perverted but they've also been seen to cry over the relationships found in a parody of Maria-sama ga Miteru.
- The Kannazuki no Miko audio drama reveals that Himeko's favorite manga is a yuri doujinshi.
- Itta from Girl×Girl×Boy doesn't start out this way, but he becomes a yuri fan later in the manga. He then can't help but smile and go "Aww" when he sees two females acting friendly towards each other.
- Yuru-Yuri has the yuri fangirl Chitose who frequently imagines Kyouko and Ayano together and her twin sister Chizuru, who images her sister together with Ayano in both relatively tame and explicit situations often resulting in her getting a nosebleed (Chitose) or starting to drool (Chizuru). A running gag is that she has to remove her glasses to see the subtext, implying she wants to cloud her vision of reality for her fantasies to work.
- The students at the all-girl high schools in Aoi Hana show several levels of fascination for girl-girl relationships. The news club of Akira's school, Fujigaya, even publishes rumors about them on the front page of their school magazine. Akira is not amused, even if they don't mention her or Fumi by name.
- Hayate from Hayate × Blade has her yuri goggles permanently on. She sees yuri everywhere.
- Sunohara in CLANNAD was overloading with hormones when he and Tomoya tricked Ryou into thinking that Nagisa is going to confess her love to her, and the entire thing started playing out like something straight out of a Girls Love anime.
- Saito of The Familiar of Zero. He got amused at the sight of Louise and Tiffania groping each other in the women's bath. Also, he got turned on when he saw Montmorency and Beatrice kiss while under the influence of the Love Potion.
- Fukuyama of Girls Bravo set up an all girl wrestling tournament and was especially excited about seeing Kosame and Kirie mud wrestle each other.
- Nyo!Hungary in Axis Powers Hetalia is often portrayed in fanon as this, mirroring his female counterpart's Yaoi Fangirl tendencies.
- In Sakura Trick, not only is Haruka a Schoolgirl Lesbian with her best friend Yuu-chan, but she also gets excited when she sees two girls kissing or otherwise doing lesbian things.
- Kirika Kure, of Puella Magi Oriko Magica, is shown reading what is clearly a yuri manga at one point. This is pretty much par for the course for Kirika.
- Anime creator Kunihiko Ikuhara is on record as Yuri Fan and the genre had profound influence on his own work.
- Kaede of Don't Become an Otaku, Shinozaki-san! is both this and Yaoi Fangirl. Akina is warming up to the idea, partly due to her own growing infatuation and feelings for Kaede. At one point she comes across a yuri doujinshi by chance and drops what she's doing to flip through it.
- In the behind the scenes episode of Black Butler Elizabeth is shown fangirling over Maylene getting groped by Ran Mao and taking pictures.
- Hanadera Keisuke of Yuri Danshi is a rare male example and the Most Triumphant Example. Just see the page quote for Yuri on how much a fanboy he is.
Keisuke: I think, therefore yuri is.
- Notable above all other examples is the shipping community surrounding Touhou. The game series has well over a hundred characters and a grand total of three male characters (a turtle, a cloud, and a Non-Action Guy) with screen/page time, so there's a lot of yuri shipping possibilities. It's gotten to the point where Touhou has begun to relocate from Comiket to a separate, Touhou-only convention, Reitaisai, which is currently the largest single genre doujin convention in the world.
- All of this despite, or maybe even because of, the fact that No Hugging, No Kissing is in effect in canon. This, combined with some easily read-into Ho Yay subtext, gives the imagination of the yuri fans plenty of material to play around with and no contradictions with canon, making Shipping Wars surprisingly uncommon within the community.
- When fan artists turn chracters into this trope as well, you know the fandom has reached critical recursion, like with this example.
- The yuri erotic game series Sono Hanabira Ni Kuchizuke Wo is predictably full of these. Whenever a group of girls witnesses a yuri act, just like clockwork, many squees will be heard.
- In Strawberry Vinegar, a girl named Mayuri watches Rie and Licia on the bus during their school trip, becoming more and more excited as Licia gushes over her.
Mayuri: Ah~ I need to make notes quickly! I'm going to turn this into a epic, original story detailing the true love between two shy, sensitive school girls, and make loads of money at Comiket!
- Tedd, the Mad Scientist from El Goonish Shive has an interest in gender-bending pretty much everybody in every way, but with a notable love for girl-and-girl.
- Marie-Neige from Frivolesque enbodies this trope. She has various posters of yuri heroines on her wall, reads yuri fanfiction, ships anime characters as a hobby and has a dakimakura of her best friend Chloé in her underwear on her bed. She doesn't seem to be ashamed of it in any way, and openly hits on every pretty girl she meets.
- Caliborn from Homestuck, who heavily fetishizes normal human romantic actions such as hugging or holding hands as porn, and is especially interested in seeing "the bitches" — i.e. Jane and Roxy - together. Note that Caliborn is from an alien race that reproduces through Foe Yay. In other words, Caliborn considers normal human romance to be deviant alien porn.
- Meredith from Blitzcrafter mentions writing lesbian incest fanfiction shortly after her introduction.
- With some Character Development, The Nostalgia Critic went from salivating over catfights to still being into girl/girl, but also ripping movies like The Haunting (1999) to shreds for just treating homosexuality as fanservice.
- Twilight Sparkle in Friendship is Witchcraft has an abnormal obsession with shipping her friends Rarity and Applejack, to the point where she wrote a several dozen chapter long fanfic featuring unsubtle self-inserts of them together and forced them to reenact it.