Just as Yaoi Fangirls
exist out there, there are Yuri Fans. For those of you not familiar with Anime
" refers to a genre of Japanese media focusing on female homoeroticism and lesbian romance
In regards to yuri fanboys, the difference between them and a guy who just thinks Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
is that a yuri fanboy is interested in actual Yuri
, including the shipping
aspects of the fandom, while the latter involves individuals who may never have seen a Girls Love
work in their lives, so long as they get turned on by girl on girl. Fictional yuri fanboys don't show up often as a significantly greater emphasis is placed on non-shipping Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
Yuri Fangirls also exist, and are in fact the primary market for much of the genre, since unlike Yaoi and Bara, there's not two separate genres for straight men and lesbian women. Media depicting love between women and girls is popular among some heterosexual girls as well, in part because of the "forbidden romance" angle, and for their tendency to be lush
, and chock full of melodrama
. (Not to mention, as a certain feminist author
pointed out, women enjoy soft, silky, uh... feminine
things just as much as men. A yuri fangirl is rarely questioned about her sexuality (interest in homosexuality is generally seen as "just a phase" in Japan), but she is
often questioned about her...exuberance
for the genre. In fiction, Yuri Fangirls are a popular character type within Girls Love
Yuri Fan is for shipper examples. For non-shipping examples who still love seeing girl/girl action, see Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
(although the two tropes can overlap). Not to be confused with fans of Lowenthal
, Volte Hyuuga
, that creepy fellow who failed to take over the Soviet Union by mind control back in the '70s
, the first man in space
, an ex-Spetsnaz soldier
, a former Soviet General Secretary
, or a 3WA Trouble Consultant
... well, there can be some overlap with that last one.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Satoshi Furutorisui from Secret Of The Tripower. Constantly taking pictures of girls when they're together.
- Tsumugi Kotobuki from K-On!, is this. She frequently has daydreams whenever two girls are holding hands, standing close to each other, and at one point is openly jealous of the skinship between the other girls, to the point that she's seen as having Yuri Goggles... But much less so on the anime.
- Pictured above: Hiyori Tamura in Lucky Star. She is also implied to be a Yaoi Fangirl but it is never elaborated further in the series.
- The all-girl high school in Otome Kikan Gretel seems to be populated by yuri fangirls, who squee when they watch Mariya and Yuu kiss. But then again, they are all implied to be Schoolgirl Lesbians, as well.
- The girls from Maria-sama ga Miteru often seem to be rather interested in the amorous entanglements between other girls at their school, although this is rather downplayed in the anime. In the Light Novels, however...
- Yurina from Hana no Yurina Gumi in one Yuri Hime S anthology is a very obsessed Yuri Fangirl. She goes to an all girls school and as president of the school's literature club, she writes fiction pairing up some of the students. She's also been known to Squee and gush quite loudly when two female students touch their hands together.
- Ushio's brother, Norio from Sasameki Koto, who writes Girls Love novels. And Azusa, one of Ushio's classmates, is a huge fan of his novels - though is very uncomfortable when first confronted with actual lesbians Tomoe and Miyako, because she's really only interested in dramatic stories full of subtext.
- In Haruhi-chan, Yuki Nagato is a yuri fangirl. Yes, really. In the original, she seems strangely interested in shipping Haruhi and Mikuru together.
- Onsokumaru and the ninjas of Ninin Ga Shinobuden are pretty perverted but they've also been seen to cry over the relationships found in a parody of Maria-sama ga Miteru.
- The Kannazuki no Miko audio drama reveals that Himeko's favorite manga is a yuri doujinshi.
- Itta from Girl X Girl X Boy doesn't start out this way, but he becomes a yuri fan later in the manga. He then can't help but smile and go "Aww" when he sees two females acting friendly towards each other.
- Yuru-Yuri has the yuri fangirl Chitose who frequently imagines Kyouko and Ayano together and her twin sister Chizuru, who imagesher sister together with Ayano in both relatively tame and explicit situations often resulting in her getting a nosebleed (Chitose) or starting to drool (Chizuru).
- Amusingly, she can only do this when she takes off her glasses. So she's an inversion of Shipping Goggles!
- The students at the all-girl high schools in Aoi Hana show several levels of fascination for girl-girl relationships. The news club of Akira's school, Fujigaya, even publishes rumors about them on the front page of their school magazine. Akira is not amused, even if they don't mention her or Fumi by name.
- Hayate from Hayate × Blade has her yuri goggles permanently on. She sees yuri everywhere.
- Sunohara in CLANNAD was overloading with hormones when he and Tomoya tricked Ryou into thinking that Nagisa is going to confess her love to her, and the entire thing started playing out like something straight out of a Girls Love anime.
- Saito of Zero no Tsukaima. He got amused at the sight of Louise and Tiffania groping each other in the women's bath. Also, he got turned on when he saw Montmorency and Beatrice kiss while under the influence of the Love Potion.
- Fukuyama of Girls Bravo set up an all girl wrestling tournament and was especially excited about seeing Kosame and Kirie mud wrestle each other.
- Nyo!Hungary in Axis Powers Hetalia is often portrayed in fanon as this, mirroring his female counterpart's Yaoi Fangirl tendencies.
- In Sakura Trick, not only Haruka is a Schoolgirl Lesbian, she also gets excited when she saw people doing lesbian things.
- Kirika Kure, of Puella Magi Oriko Magica, is shown reading what is clearly a yuri manga at one point. This is pretty much par for the course for Kirika.
- Anime creator Kunihiko Ikuhara is on record as Yuri Fan and the genre had profound influence on his own work.
- The yuri erotic game series Sono Hanabira Ni Kuchizuke Wo is predictably full of these. Whenever a group of girls witnesses a yuri act, just like clockwork, many squees will be heard.
- Tedd, the Mad Scientist from El Goonish Shive has an interest in gender bending pretty much everybody in every way but with a notable love for girl and girl.
- Marie-Neige from Frivolesque enbodies this trope. She has various posters of yuri heroines on her wall, reads yuri fanfiction, ships anime characters as a hobby and has a dakimakura of her best friend Chloé in her underwear on her bed. She doesn't seem to be ashamed of it in any way, and openly hits on every pretty girl she meets.
- Caliborn from Homestuck, who heavily fetishizes normal human romantic actions such as hugging or holding hands as porn, and is especially interested in seeing 'the bitches' - i.e. Jane and Roxy - together.
- Note that Caliborn is from an alien race that reproduces through Foe Yay. In other words, Caliborn considers normal human romance to be deviant alien porn.