A "World Map" is, well, any depiction of a region or setting. There are several tropes associated with this term - perhaps you were thinking about one of them instead?
- Fantasy World Map: The world map of any Constructed World, a popular inclusion in published fantasy literature.
- Level-Map Display: NPC's may give you an item called a "world map". You can peruse it at your leisure, but that's all.
- The Overworld: A fully playable world map, functions like an actual Video Game level: You can freely explore it while travelling between areas.
- Overworld Not to Scale: A scaled-down, birds-eye view (or map) of the world (Popular in "eastern" style RPG's.)
- Point-and-Click Map: A Video Game map that functions like a menu screen: Click on a desired location to travel there, Warp Whistle-style. (Popular in "western" style RPG's.)