With a Capital T
...and that stands for "Trope."
This is when a character emphasises the magnitude of the thing they're talking about by saying that it's a Thing "with a capital T". They may go on to add that the capital letter also stands for something else relevant.
Can be played for laughs by having the character get the initial letter wrong (or deliberately changing it to make a point, as in our trope Witch with a Capital B
), or announcing that the entire first syllable is capital. Capital Letters Are Magic
is when the narrative itself does this.
Anime And Manga
- Spoofed in the English dub of Fairy Tail when Natsu and Gajeel argue over which of their cat partners is better:
Gajeel: Ain't no way you guys can beat my Lily! He's the strongest with a capital "S"!
Natsu: We'll see about that, 'cause Happy's a cat with a lower-case "c"!
- From an episode of Get Backers:
Kazuki Fuchouin: He's hazardously lucky, isn't he?
Kakei Juubei: With a capital... hazardous.
- Back to the Future Part II:
Biff: Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think, McFly! Think! Your old man, Mr. Loser?
Biff: That's right. Loser with a capital "L".
- Brain Donors:
Roland: And that spells cash with a capital...
Roland: You should go back to school.
Jacques: I hated teaching.
- Peter's Friends:
Andrew: It's shit with a capital "sh".
- Stuck on You:
- Red Dwarf, episode "Waiting for God":
Cat: I'm smooth, with a capital Smoo.
- From an episode of As the World Turns:
Henry Coleman: These are dangerous people, with a capital D, which means death, which could happen to you.
- Psych, episode "Rob-a-Bye Baby":
Shawn Spencer: Dude, this blows, with a capital Z.
- Roseanne, episode "Vegas, Vegas":
Roseanne: Marriage stinks, with a capital SUCK!
- Veronica Mars, episode "Look Who's Stalking":
Oh, well if it isn't Little Miss Teen Getaway. Your dad and I were just dealing with a little trouble. Veronica:
Like, trouble with a capital "T", that rhymes with "C", that stands for... Keith:
What? I was going to say "cute."
- In the Will and Grace episode "Coffe & Commitment", Jack meets a guy who describes as "cute with a capital Q".
- On Glee, Kurt has been called "capital G gay."
- In Mrs Frisby And The Rats Of Nimh, a "Plan" is referred to as being pronounced with a capital P.
- In Going Postal, some clacks hackers have invented a killer poke that they call "the Woodpecker." Moist repeats the name, but forgets to pause and use the capital W. (This is not the first time characters on Discworld have been able to hear and pronounce capital letters or punctuation.)
- In Discworld II, Ridcully uses the term "Glitter, with a capital 'gluh'!"
- Kingdom Hearts II:
Axel: You really don't remember. It's me? You know, Axel?
Axel: Talk about blank with a capital B.
- Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, episode 4:
Coach Z: Strong Bad, you kidding? You can't put Senor Cardgage in your movie! That guy is creepy with a capital "cree"!
- In MadWorld, the Black Baron considers one of the minigames he introduces as "Easy with a capital EZ".
- Orcs Must Die parodies this.
So what do I know so far? Orcs
all working together, creepy voice talking in my head, and I can't get in contact with the other warmages. It all spells BAD, with a capital B... And a capital A... and a D.
- In Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 5: Rise of the Pirate God, Guybrush can ask W.P. Grindstump if he's hidden the Voodoo Lady:
- Ed, Edd n Eddy has "trouble with a capital 'R'".
- From an episode of Baby Blues:
Bizzy: That guy's a loser with a capital 'Loo'.
- Beast Wars, episode "The Agenda", referring to a situation involving the villainous Blackarachnia:
Rattrap: We've got trouble! Oh yeah, trouble... with a capital "B"!
- Also, in "Tangled Web", concerning approaching Maximals:
Quickstrike: We got trouble brewing outside. Trouble with a capital "M"!
- From an episode of G.I. Joe:
Ace: Uh-oh. What we got here is a game of dirty pool. With a capital "D" for Destro!
- Happy Feet:
Ramon: We got personality, with a capital Y. Why? Because we're hot!
- Rugrats Go Wild:
Spike: Will you stop worrying? I know all about cats with a capital "K".
- The Tick, episode "Evil Sits Down For a Moment":
The Tick: Falling in love with a supervillain is Trouble with a capital 'troub'.
- Legion of Super Heroes, episode "Unnatural Alliances":
Duo Damsel: Terra-Man, word is you've been terrorizing this entire prairie in search of someone.
Star Boy: The only thing you're gonna find here is trouble.
Bouncing Boy: With a capital "L"!
- Rocky and Bullwinkle, during the "Maybe Dick, the Wailing Whale" arc:
Bullwinkle: Look out, Rocky! We got trouble with a capital "TROUB"!
- Bugs Bunny in "Rabbit Rampage" when he sees that the unseen animator wants to have some fun with him:
Bugs: Oh, you, huh? Well, if you're the one drawing this picture, then count me out. Capital "O," capital "U," capital "T!" So goodbye to you and farewell to thee!
- This is where the name of The Teetotaler comes from. In the 1840s or so, people were pledging themselves to "T-Total Abstinence" from alcohol.
- Oscar Wilde once said that one of his critics, the painter James Whistler, spelled the word "art" "with a capital 'I'."