Why Can't You Say Good Night?
Parting words, coming after drugging someone but before the victim hits the ground. May take the form of a Preemptive Apology. A kind of Pre-Mortem One-Liner without the actual, y'know, death. The last words from the guy they drugged are Parting-from-Consciousness Words. Trope name comes from Tony Basil's "Mickey".
- Hudson Hawk.
Hudson Hawk: Hey, this doesn't taste like cappuccino.
Anna: Oh. I guess I put too much ethyl chloride in it.
Hudson Hawk: [collapses]
- Mystery Men: Right after Captain Amazing asks whether what he just picked up is not evidence, it shoots out a cloud of pink smoke:
Casanova Frankenstein: "It's a chloroform-deploying portable enticement snare."
Captain Amazing: "... - Ah, dang!"
- Sherlock Holmes
Irene: I told you to let it breathe.
- Dexter: Debra's new fiancee explains how ashamed he was at accidentally leaving one piece of evidence as the Ice Truck Killer.
- And, of course, Dexter himself often whispers a one-liner to his victims right after he slips them the needle.
- Played with on Lost. Juliet was handed what was told to her to be a glass full of tranquilizers.
Ethan: "You... probably shouldn't have drank that so fast..."
- Heroes: Mohinder to Sylar
Mohinder: "I already have you, Mr. Sylar."
The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells: Drugged! By God!
Blackadder: By Baldrick, actually, but the effect is much the same.
- After getting a new job on The A-Team, Hannibal discusses it with B.A.
B.A. Baracus: "We're flying this time, aren't we?"Hannibal: "Yes, we are."B.A. Baracus: "You're not going to drug me this time. I'm going to keep my eye on you."Hannibal: "In that case, do you want the last swallow of your milk?"[B.A. realizes he's been had, raises his fist and then collapses]Hannibal: "Guess not."
- Tiger & Bunny
Maverick: Good night, Barnaby.
- Mona Sax, right after drugging Max Payne:
"Nothing personal. Can't risk you going berserk and getting Lisa killed."
- After Jordi is drugged in Cuanta Vida:
Anton: T-tut mir leid. ("I'm sorry.")
- In Girl Genius:
Lucrezia: Not poison, silly. I'm one of the good guys now, remember?
- The Venture Bros.:
"You'd be surprised at the amount of chemicals the average cigarette contains."
- After a certain mercenary tranquilizes Wolverine in Hulk Vs. Wolverine...
"Logan, buddy! It's me, Deadpool! I shot you."
- In The Batman, after the Riddler sprays Batman with knockout gas:
"Tell me, Batman... What question can you never answer "yes" to? Are you asleep?"