Who Are You Calling Names?
Yet another Stock Phrase
. One character gets insulted by another, which leads to the insulted character responding back with, "Who are you calling stupid!?!?!
" Sometimes, it may also overlap with Insult Misfire
Closely related to: Berserk Button
, I Take Offense to That Last One
. Compare Calling Me a Logarithm
Anime and Manga
- From the third episode of the Little Lulu anime, after Alvin and a couple of other younger kids are told that building the clubhouse isn't for little kids:
Alvin: Who are you calling a little kid!?!?
- Fullmetal Alchemist:
Edward Elric: Who are you calling so short you want to squish like an ant?
Alphonse Elric: Calm down, he never said anything like that!
Edward Elric: But he was thinking it.
- Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. Occurs multiple times when the two run into each other:
Mamoru Chiba: Idiot!
Usagi Tsukino: Who are you calling an idiot?
- Transformers Cybertron:
Jetfire: Hey, you're one of those escaped monster Decepticons?
Thunderbolt: Hey, who are you calling a monster?
- Azumanga Daioh:
Yomi: Think again! Like hell I'm telling some knuckleheads like you!''
Tomo: Kn-knucklehead?! What?!? (notices others) ...Hmm? Hey, what are you guys acting so cool for?
Osaka and Kagura: Huh?
Tomo: Come on, say something back at her!
Osaka and Kagura: Huh? (points at Tomo) Knucklehead.
Osaka and Kagura: Ohhh! Who you callin knuckleheeead?!?
- In Calvin and Hobbes, when Calvin confronts his own good-natured duplicate after the latter tries winning Susie's love:
Calvin: There you are!
"Good" Calvin: There you are!
Calvin: What's the big idea giving Susie a mushy Valentine?! Are you nuts?!?
"Good" Calvin: She wouldn't even accept it! You're such a jerk, she always thinks you're up to something!
Calvin: Who are you calling a jerk, you namby-pamby goody-goody!
"Good" Calvin: You, you self-centered, conniving brat! [they fight each other]
Hobbes: [looks at the fourth wall] Wow, how existential can you get?
- Possibly from Back to the Future:
- Toy Story: Sid is holding Woody as Woody speaks some of his standard phrases:
Sid Phillips: It's busted.
Woody: Who are you calling busted, Buster?
- Transformers: The Movie:
Soundwave: Soundwave superior. Constructions inferior.
Bonecrusher: Who are you calling inferior?
- Pryde of the X-Men:
Wolverine: Get with it! The X-men don't have room for whiny brats!
Kitty Pryde: Who are you calling whiny?
- Monty Python's Life of Brian:
Parvus: Shut up, you Jewish turd!
Mr. Big Nose: Who are you calling Jewish? I'm not Jewish! I'm a Samaritan!
- The Room:
- Example 1
Mark: Who are you calling a kid?
- Example 2
Lisa: You can come out now, Johnny. She's gone.
Johnny: In a few minutes, bitch.
Lisa: Who are you calling a bitch?
Chris Hargenson: Watch it, you stupid sh*t, you're getting blood all over the place!
Billy Nolen: Who are you calling a stupid sh*t?
Becky: Oh just try firing me, you old bucket of cheese.
Cal: Who are you calling a bucket of cheese, you heifer?
- Dr. Dolittle 2
Dr. Dolittle: Alright, Archie, I'm not playing anymore. I want you to come out of there right now, you big coward!
Archie: Uh, excuse me, but who are you calling a coward?
- Cinderella (1997)
Minerva: Did you ever see such a lazy girl in your life?
Calliope: Who are you calling lazy?
Minerva: Not you, stupid, Cinderella!
Calliope: Oh... who are you calling stupid?
- The Mod Squad (1999): Detective Trickey is sexually harassing Julie:
Pete: Hey hey, why do you have to be such a pussy huh, leave her alone alright.
Det. Tricky: Who are you calling a pussy?
- A Midnight Clear:
Bud Miller: You trust these Nazis, Stan?
German soldier: [in German] Who are you calling Nazis? We're not Nazis! We're the German Army!
- American Desi:
Jagjit: [dancing] Ho! Ho! Ho!
Girl at party: Hey man, WHO ARE YOU CALLING A HO?
- Maid to Order
Stella Winston: You're a spoiled, silly, boring, insignificant little twit.
Jessie Montgomery: Hey! Who are you calling boring?
- Friends, Comrades:
Arno Jurmala: [to her wife] Who are you calling a whore?
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back:
Han: Who's scruffy-looking?
- In The Lion King, when Simba speaks with Zazu about the hyenas:
But I thought you said they're nothing but slobbering, mangy, stupid poachers. Zazu: Ix-nay on the oopid-stay! Banzai:
Who are you calling oopid-stay?!
- Doctor Who:
- "Remembrance of the Daleks":
- "The Creature from the Pit: Part One":
Romana: Go ahead and kill me. Commit suicide. Listen to that hirsute moron.
Torvin: Here! Who are you calling hirsute?
Romana: You. Do you want to make something of it?
Torvin: No, I just wanna know what it means.
- House episode "Whatever It Takes":
House: You idiot.
Dr. Samira Terzi: Who are you calling an idiot?
- The Soap Opera Days of Our Lives, Hattie has called into the Dr. Marlena Show:
Nancy: Look, we don't take calls from ignorant, abusive people on this show.
Hattie: And who are you calling ignorant?
- Knight Rider episode "Custom Made Killer":
Michael Knight: [to K.I.T.T.] Are sure you're not becoming a bit of a snob?
Devon Miles: [Appears on view screen] Snob? Who are you calling a snob?
- Benidorm episode "#2.2":
The Oracle: Who are you calling an idiot, you... d*ckhead?
Mel: D*ckhead? Who are you calling d*ckhead?
- Mind of Mencia:
Host: Hey, bro. You dropped your keys. [The person looks at him, turning out to be a woman]
Fountain Drinker: Who are you calling, 'bro,' bitch?
- Star Trek: The Original Series episode "A Piece of the Action":
Boy: You going to hit Krako out here? You open up and you'll be scragged from every window in the street. I can fix it for ya.
Spock: Young man, this is likely to be quite hazardous.
Kirk: : Hold on, Spock. Out of the mouths of babes.
Boy: Who you callin' a babe?
- Power Rangers S.P.D.
Elizabeth Delgado: Is he gonna make it?
Dr. Katherine Manx: If he were human, he'd already be gone. This old dog is tough. There's no telling.
Commander Cruger: [awakes] Who are you calling an old dog?
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time:
Koume: You must have gone senile!
Kotake: Who are you calling senile? Is that how you treat your older sister?
- Grim Fandango:
Manuel Calavera: Aw, they look just like little Johnny Thunders.
1st Thunder Boy: Who are you calling little?
- Destroy All Humans!: Path of the Furon:
The Master: This is the way of things. The flower must die for the fruit to live.
Cryptosporidium: Who are you calling a fruit, old man?
- Tales of Monkey Island:
- In Chapter 3, when Bugeye's voice says, "What say you, digested SCUMMô?", one of the topics the player can choose as a response is, "Hey, who you calling SCUMMô, Geppetto?"
- And in Chapter 4, when Guybrush tries breaking up a fight between Morgan and a Poxed Elaine:
Guybrush: Can't you two just work it out over a nice grogatini?
Morgan: THE Guybrush Threepwood is buying me a drink?
Elaine: Over your dead body, trollop!
Morgan: Who are you calling trollop, Schooner-Mom?!
Guybrush: [embarrassed] Oh boy.
- Also a case of Insult Misfire in an episode of Adventures of the Gummi Bears after the troll leader insults both Zummi and Tummi:
Tummi: Who are you calling old?
- Classic Disney Short, Tomorrow We Diet!
Goofy: Hello, handsome.
Goofy's reflection: Hello, fat.
Goofy: Who are you calling fat?
- Family Guy episode "Fifteen Minutes of Shame":
Diane Simmons: Peter, do you think there may be any validity to what Meg is feeling?
- The Simpsons episode "Wedding for Disaster":
Homer Simpson: Well, forget it, padre. We don't need a piece of paper to tell us we're happy. Me and the old lady have our own thing going on.
Marge Simpson: Who are you calling an old lady?
- Avatar: The Last Airbender episode "The King of Omashu":
Katara: So this crazy king is your old friend Bumi?
King: Who are you calling old?... Okay, I'm old.
- Sponge Bob Square Pants episode "Dying for Pie/Imitation Krabs":
Mr. Krabs: Well, if I were a robot, which I'm not, at least I'm well put together, not some rusted-up, steam-driven pile of junk.
Plankton: Who are you calling steam driven?
- "Who are you calling Pinhead?"
Jerrica Benton: Wanna bet those earrings are a pair of duds?
Synergy: Who are you calling a dud?
- Jackie Chan Adventures episode "Viva Las Jackies":
Dalong Wong: You cannot defeat me, old man!
Uncle: Who are you calling old?
- American Dragon Jake Long episode "The Talented Mr. Long":
Professor Rotwood: Admirable attempt Mr. Long, but you can't beat my young piano protege with that mangy puppet.
Fu Dog: Hey, who are you calling mangy, Molly McHairpiece?
- War Planets:
Prince Pyrus: Who are you calling a child, loser? Us children have beaten you so many times, it's getting boring.
- ''King of the Hill had some kids who hated orders and accused anyone of trying to stop them for being a nazi. A certain person tried to arrest one of them and that person called him a Nazi. This, isn't the best thing to say to a World War 2 veteran.
Cotton: "WHO ARE YOU CALLIN' A NAZI?!"
- The Smurfs episode "The First Telesmurf", when Gargamel discovers the overgrown smurfmelon vines have reached his hovel and he starts hearing the voices of the Smurfs from within it.
Gargamel: What do we have here...some kind of a Smurf tunnel? Very clever for creatures that are basically stupid.
Hefty: Stupid? Who are you calling 'stupid', Brainy?
Brainy: I didn't say that.