A Stock Phrase
used in comedic situations. One person will speak at length
, often intelligently and involving either an excellent explanation of what's going on and why, or a highly practical solution to the current problem. Other characters, upon being consulted, will reply with "What He Said".
This is especially true when the one speaking is a temporary or new authority figure, and the one saying 'what he said' is the previous one or a more well-known and respected authority, proving that the new guy does
know what he's talking about.
when the previous or 'true' authority figure demands to have the last say, and that he be recognized as the ultimate authority... and then simply repeats the ideas presented by the upstart, often with these same words.
Does not actually require Exposition
on the part of the first speaker, only a statement agreed with by the second person with the words "What he said".
Very common on internet forums, where Me Too
is one of the archetypal Online Personas
. This has, in turn, given rise to the acronym QFT, "Quoted For Truth".
Not to be confused with "That's What She Said
open/close all folders
Live Action TV
- Angel episode "Damage"
Angel: Let's go over it again, just in case you left out any details.
Spike: What he said, but with a bit more of a threat at the end.
- Dark Angel
Logan Cale: In case you haven't caught on by now, this girl's gonna do what she's gonna do no matter what you or anyone else says, so you've got two choices: back off or pitch in.
Max Guevara: What he said.
- Dead Like Me episode "Death Defying". Mason and Ray are playing pool.
Guy: Hey. We got next.
Ray Summers: Take a walk, Junior. There's plenty of tables available.
Mason: Yeah, yeah, yeah. What he said.
- Psych episode "Extradition: British Columbia"
Shawn Spencer: [having a "vision"] I see a man... net. I see the painter... John Manet.
Burton 'Gus' Guster: Edouard.
Spencer: Where in town might one find a...
Guster: Edouard Manet?
Spencer: What he said.
- Supernatural episode "Free to Be You and Me"
Raphael: I'm warning you. Do not leave me here. I will find you.
Castiel: Maybe one day. But today you're my little bitch.
Dean Winchester: What he said!
- In Doctor Who, The Doctor gets off a rare dramatic version. Having been confronted with what Kahler Jex did in A Town Called Mercy, he is listening with little interest to Amy, Rory and Issac debating what to do with Jex. When Amy asks The Doctor for his opinion, he responds with "Yes. No. Whatever Amy said."
- In Wizards of Waverly Place there is a variation, Alex waves her wand and casts the same spell as Justin by saying "What he did."
- In an episode of To Tell the Truth where the real person had a difficult to pronounce name (Peter Agababi-Palangin), one of the fakers just introduced himself as "my name is the same as his."
- One game of "Greatest Hits" on Whose Line Is It Anyway? had Chip Esten end one of the songs like this. It's that kind of show.
- TNA wrestlers Taylor Wilde and Sarita once went through a phase of, during interviews, Sarita reeling off a string of Spanish and Wilde finishing off the interview with "What she said!"
- They did the EXACT same thing with Matt Morgan & Hernandez. And at the same tine too, although it was never acknowledged.