2008 graphic novel by Ross Campbell. Water Baby
follows a few unusual days in the lives of surfer girls Brody and Louisa. When Brody's surfing days are cut short by a shark making a snack out of her left leg, things could only go uphill, right?Wrong.
Now not only does she have to get used to the simple concept of walking again with a prosethetic leg that she hates wearing, but her jerk ex-boyfriend Jake has come for an impromptu visit, and she's begun having increasingly freakier shark-related nightmares and hallucinations. When Jake's mooching reaches an all-time high, Brody's patience finally runs out, and so begins a car-trip adventure up to New York...
Water Baby contains the following tropes:
- An Arm and a Leg
- Artificial Limbs: Brody's prosthetic leg.
- Bald Women: Brody shaves her head completely after being discharged from the hospital. May also count as Bald of Awesome.
- Bi the Way: Chrissy, towards Louisa.
- Brick Joke: Brody did Jake's dad.
- The Cameo: Outside of Water Baby, in Wet Moon, Campbell's more well-known series. Brody makes a cameo in Volume 3 as one of Fall's friends, Louisa shows up in Volume 5 as a member of the Worm Lizards softball team. Conversely, Natalie gets a verbal cameo here.
- Disabled Means Helpless: Mostly averted. Brody's still pretty capable with just one leg, and frequently insists on getting around with minimal help, even just a few days after she's lost it.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Chrissie does not take being turned down well.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks
- Girlish Pigtails: Chrissie's default hairstyle.
- The Goggles Do Nothing: Chrissie again, with her huge Elton John sunglasses.
- Gorn: A lot of the shark-attack nightmares are quite vividly detailed.
- Not to mention the initial shark attack. You can see the shark bite off Brody's leg, as well as the trail of blood when she's dragged out of the ocean.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Between Brody and Louisa. Lampshaded at one point by Brody. Ultimately disproven, they're just good friends.
- Lad-ette: Brody definitely qualifies.
- Love Itor Hate It: Most peoples reaction to the story.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: Averted. Brody understandably loses a LOT of blood after her leg's been bitten off, but it's still within realism.
- Really Gets Around: Implied for both Chrissie and Jake.
- Shout-Out: To Wet Moon. Louisa is at one point seen with shorts bought in that series' titular town, and some of the infamous "Cleo Eats It" graffiti is seen in a gas stop restroom. In a nod to Star Trek, Brody cracks "you will be assimilated" soon after getting her prosethetic leg.
- She also quips "I am The Bionic Woman" a little after getting her prosthetic leg.
- Surfer Girls: Brody and Louisa, though not in the usual way. They are literally just girls who enjoy surfing.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Instances between Brody and Louisa. Their arguments with each other often quickly degenerate into punching and name-calling.