Was Just Leaving
John Doe is being harassed by Richard Roe, and just as the conversation reaches a climax, a third character walks in and says, "Is Richard bothering you?", to which John replies, "No, Richard was just leaving." Then Richard leaves. One common variant has Richard himself say, "No, I was just leaving."
- Alias - Authorized Personnel Only: Part 2
- Heroes - Daphne is the victim, Matt is the harasser and Daphne's dad is the eavesdropper.
- German series Liebling Kreuzberg had the protagonist (a somewhat unconventional lawyer) do this.
Secretary: "Is there a problem?"Liebling: "No, <troublemaker> just wanted to leave. Didn't you hear? You just wanted to leave!"
- Tomorrow Never Dies
- The Family That Preys
- Subverted in Animal House, when a coed says, "He was just leaving," Boone replies, "No I'm not."
- Susan Calvin of I, Robot does the "He was just leaving" version.
- Happends to Danny in Ocean's Eleven when Terry Benedict walks in on Danny talking to Tess (Danny's ex-wife, Benedict's girlfriend) at a resturant.
- Played with in Batman Returns, when Bruce Wayne is meeting with Max Shreck to discuss the power-plant proposal. It isn't too long before their discussion of the controversy turns personal, and then nasty: Max bragging that he's more powerful than even Gotham City's current mayor, let alone an Upper-Class Twit like Bruce, and Bruce retorting that that's only because Max has the Penguin and the Red Triangle Circus Gang secretly helping him. Max responds to this (true) accusation by calling it "mudslinging" and vowing that "if my assistant were here", he'd have her throw Bruce out at once. At that very moment, Selina Kyle actually does show up, and declares that she'd be happy to take Bruce anywhere. Already unnerved by Bruce's suspicions, and absolutely shocked that Selina is still alive (he had tried to kill her the night before), Max gets rid of both his problems simultaneously by ordering Selina to show Bruce the door.
- Happens late in Emi's route of Katawa Shoujo, during a visit to her home, if you choose to talk to her mother.
Meiko: Emi, Hisao was just-Emi: On his way out of the house? Yeah, I know.