Wang Film Productions
aka: Cuckoos Nest Studio
Wang Film Productions:
Serving practically everyone under the face of the sun since 1978.
Wang Film Productions (formerly known as Cuckoo's Nest Studio) is a Taiwanese studio founded in 1978 by former Hanna-Barbera
employee James Wang as a means for the company to outsource their animation to (when the technique was still relatively unheard of at the time). Since its founding, Wang has worked with and/or for several companies like Warner Bros.
, Film Roman
, Kennedy Cartoons
, Toon City
and Studio Pierrot
(among others). Through them, they have done animation for shows and movies made in the North America, Europe and Asia.
Their main claim to fame, though, is being used by a large number of shows. The Other Wiki
, in fact, has a list of their works about a mile long
. The works featured below are just scraping the surface
Wang also owns a CG company (creatively named CGCG
), established in 1988note
with studios in both Taiwan and Japan. Like Wang, the company's not only done CG work on their productions, but they've also done All-CGI Cartoon
work on their own (and likewise being used by everyone; including Xebec
, Square Enix
, Lucasfilm, Toei and the above-mentioned Nelvana, Disney, Warner Bros. and Universal). In addition, Hong Ying
is generally considered an offshoot, having started out getting extra Wang work.
The company also has Thailand and Chinese satellite studios.note
Compare (and contrast) AKOM
, TMS Entertainment
, Toei Animation
, Sunwoo Entertainment
, Dong Woo Animation
, Synergy Animation
, Hanho Heung-Up
, Rough Draft Studios
and the aforementioned Toon City. Their partners for many of the shows listed below.
Side note - the amount of work both Wang and CGCG did is staggering. The following three folders consist of an (almost) complete filmography between them.
Shows and TV Specials
- Ace Ventura (animated series; Hong Ying also worked on the show)
- Animaniacs (87 shorts, plus a handful of bumpers)
- Around the World with Willy Fog (1990 series)
- Baby Looney Tunes
- Back to the Future
- Bobby's World
- Care Bears (Nelvana TV series)
- Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue
- Clifford the Big Red Dog (1980s specials)
- The Comic Strip
- The Country Mouse and the City Mouse Adventures
- David The Gnome
- Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds (1990 series)
- Donkey Kong Country (Second season, producers only, animation by CGCG)
- Eek! The Cat
- Fantastic Four (First season)
- Fievel's American Tails
- Garfield and Friends
- Happily Ever After Fairy Tales For Every Child (season 1 only)
- Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats (Uncredited)
- Hey Arnold! (Some episodes in season two)
- Hulk Hogans Rock N Wrestling (with Hanho and Studio Shaft)
- Inspector Gadget (12 episodes in the first seasonList ; with TMS, AIC, Ajia-Do, Oh Production & an uncredited Toeinote , as Cuckoo's Nest. Was also a co-producer.)
- Kidd Video (Season One; as Cuckoo's Nest)
- Lazer Tag Academy
- The Little Lulu Show (with AKOM)
- Littlest Pet Shop (1995) (with AKOM and KK C&D Asia)
- The Mask (First season only)
- Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures
- My Little Pony G3
- My Scene Goes Hollywood (with Prana Studios)
- New Kids on the Block
- The New Adventures of Beany And Cecil
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan
- Ozzy and Drix
- Peanuts: Two specials - "It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown" and "You're in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown!"
- Peter Pan & the Pirates (Two episodesList )
- The Pink Panther (1993 series)
- Random Cartoons (Multiple shorts)
- The Real Ghostbusters (With other studioslist )
- The Ren & Stimpy Show ("Lair of the Lummox", "Cheesefist" bumper, and "It's a Dog's Life/Egg Yolkeo" only)
- Rescue Heroes (originally, replaced by AKOM)
- Rugrats (First season only, also helped on the pilot episode; credited as Cuckoo's Nest in the latter)
- Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat
- Star Wars: Ewoks
- Street Sharks (season 2 only)
- Stripperella (With Mook DLE and Sunmin, three episodes List )
- Tales From The Crypt Keeper (ABC Seasons)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (uncredited)
- Tiny Toon Adventures (38 episodes List - 30 episodes solo, Ink & Paint and camera services on seven Kennedy Cartoons episodesList . Footage from "K-ACME TV" was recycled into the TMS-animated "Take Elmyra, Please")
- Transformers: Go-Bots
- The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
- What's New, Scooby-Doo? (season 1 and Christmas Special)
- Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa (season 2 only)
- Winx Club (season 1)
- Bebe's Kids
- The BIONICLE movies (Co-producers for the original trilogy, animation for all films done by CGCG)
- The Brave Little Toaster
- The Care Bears Movie (With Hanho)
- Go-Bots: Battle of The Rock Lords
- Devilman (Visual Effects for the Live-Action Adaptation, CGCG)
- Doraemon Robot Wars
- FernGully: The Last Rainforest (alongside Rough Draft, Hanho, Saerom, A. Film, Available Light Productions, and Luk-Film (Among others), and the only studio from the original kept around for Ferngully 2)
- Heavy Metal 2000 (Backgrounds, In-Between Animation)
- How to Hook Up Your Home Theater (Special Thanks)
- Jetsons: The Movie
- Joseph King Of Dreams
- The Land Before Time (Movies VII-XII)
- Leroy & Stitch
- The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea
- The Little Troll Prince
- Mulan 2 (additional animation services)
- Once Upon a Forest
- The Pagemaster (Animated portion only; movie done with Pacific Title, Cinesite, 4-Ward Productions, Perpetual Motion Pictures and others).
- Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension (With Synergy and Hong Ying)
- Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (Additional CG animation, CGCG)
- Pound Puppies: The Legend of Big Paw
- Rebuild of Evangelion (CGI assistance for You Can (Not) Advance and You Can (Not) Redo, CGCG)
- Return to Neverland (with Disney's Australian and Canadian units)
- Resident Evil: Degeneration (Production Cooperation, CGCG)
- Rover Dangerfield (With Hanho, Available Light and Rhythm & Hues)
- Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School
- The Thief and the Cobbler - Provided the Ink & Paint and camera services for the final product. Thus not quite shouldering the weight that the other studios involved do. But the company is still a guilty party in all of this, especially as all of the original drawings sent to the Thai studio were destroyed.
- TRON - Provided more than three quarters of the (non-CG) effects worknote . Credited as Cuckoo's Nest, this also served as their first collaboration with Disney.
- Rankin/Bass Productions' The Wind in the Willows
- YuYu Hakusho (Finish & In-Between Animation for Poltergeist Report)
- Zu Warriors of The Magic Mountain (With Visual Concept Engeneering)
All credits for CGCG unless noted
Tropes Associated with Wang and CGCG include
- All-CGI Cartoon: The Bionicle films, Fanboy and Chum Chum, Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Most, if not all of CGCG's output actually.
- Animation Bump: Fairly often, particularly in The Brave Little Toaster and Animaniacs.
- Animesque: Some of their works (W.I.T.C.H. and Winx Club, mostly). The fact that they worked on the sequel series to both Willy Fog & Dogtanian, Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie, three Final Fantasy games and Dino Breaker (the latter three through CGCG) among others, helps.
- Conspicuous CG: The Land Before Time sequels take this to levels beyond our understanding.
- The Dark Age of Animation: Established during this period.
- Deranged Animation: There's several shows containing this, but The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat and Courage the Cowardly Dog are the best examples.
- I Have Many Names: As mentioned at the top of the page.
- International Co Production: Inspector Gadget, Transformers: Go-Bots The Bionicle films, The Brave Little Toaster and most of their Hanna-Barbara work.
- Limited Animation: Most of their Hanna-Barbera projects, which as a side-effect, was carried over to the majority of their other work from the 1980s. They got better during the 90s.
- No Flow in CGI: Played straight often in CGCG's works.
- Medium Blending: Featured in The Land Before Time sequels they did. Also present in TRON, Courage, Winx Club, The Pagemaster, Ferngully, The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat, Bionicle 3 (Albeit as an effects screw-up), Dino Breaker, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (not directly though), Rebuild of Evangelion and Phineas and Ferb (occasionally).
- Motion Capture: Xcalibur. Some scenes in Bionicle: The Legend Reborn also contain this.
- Off Model: The less talked about the Pound Puppies movie, the better. This also occurs in many of their other projects (usually with Ink & Paint), including a surprisingly inconsistent first season of Tiny Toon Adventures (although for the other two seasons, It Got Better). This also happened in all of their 101 Dalmatians: The Series episodes.
- Parodied in the Garfield & Friends segment "Mistakes Will Happen".
- The Renaissance Age of Animation: The vast majority of their work comes from this era.
- Shout-Out: To CGCG in The Legend Reborn in Matoran languagenote .
- Thick-Line Animation: The New Adventures of Beany and Cecil. They also went through a period of this during the TTA era (mainly season one). Their Ren and Stimpy work tended to suffer from this as well.
- Tron Lines: TRON, obviously.
- Troubled Production: The New Kids on the Block cartoon and Hulk Hogans Rock N Wrestling.