The outrageous character who undermines all of a Sitcom
's attempts at verisimilitude (such as they are).
Often, the outrageous character(s) clearly has a key to the residence of the more central characters of the show, since they nearly always show up unannounced and never knock or ring the door bell (see Drop-In Character
, Your Door Was Open
and Inadvertent Entrance Cue
The Wacky Guy
may also be a Weirdness Magnet
, his own strangeness an attractor for other weirdness without being directly responsible for it.
Contrast Deadpan Snarker
, although they can be combined. Compare Fun Personified
, The Ditz
. May be behind the Zany Scheme
open/close all folders
- Batty Koda from FernGully.
- Mack in Super Troopers, who pulls off the more outlandish shenanigans (impersonating a carjacker just to freak out some stoned teenagers, and volunteering to be the test subject for a bullet-proof jockstrap).
Live Action TV
- Lenny and Squiggy, Laverne and Shirley.
- Skippy or Nick, Family Ties.
- Reverend Jim, Taxi.
- Spencer Shay, iCarly.
- Sinjin van Cleef, Victorious.
- Kramer, Seinfeld.
- Cody, then Jean-Luc, Step by Step.
- Harry, 3rd Rock from the Sun.
- Jack, Will and Grace.
- Steve Urkel and Waldo, Family Matters.
- Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory.
- Kimmy Gibbler, Full House.
- Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother, with a heaping help of Jerkass, and a handful of Deadpan Snarker.
- Note that due to an Unreliable Narrator, what we see might well be an Up to Eleven version of the actual person...as for every other character, though this is less blatant.
- Beans, Even Stevens.
- Alistair from As Time Goes By.
- Boner from Growing Pains.
- Jazz from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
- Eric on Boy Meets World became this after he Took a Level in Dumbass.
- On Smart Guy, Moe, Mackie and Yvette's friend Nina have this trope covered between them.
- First Amp the nerd and then Rembrandt the surfer on "Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad".
- Oddly enough, Star Trek: The Next Generation has one: Q.
- Maynard G. Krebs (played by Bob Denver) on The Dobie Gillis Show.