- Rob Bottin - Best known for the design of The Thing in The Thing (1982).
- John Dykstra - Special effects and CGI pioneer, best known for Star Wars and Spider-Man 2.
- Ray Harryhausen - Unsurpassed stop-motion genius whose contributions to popular culture include The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans.
- Georges Méliès - The godfather of the genre, best known for Voyage Dans La Lune (A Trip to the Moon, 1903).
- Willis O Brien - Famous for creating the dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925) and the giant ape in King Kong (1933). Harryhausen's idol and mentor.
- Tom Savini - Famous for many gore effects in horror films, including Friday the 13th (1980) and Dawn of the Dead (1978).
- Douglas Trumbull - Co-creator of the special effects in 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Blade Runner and The Tree of Life.
- Eiji Tsuburaya - The man who brought Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Ultraman, and many other Japanese giant monsters to supersized life through the People in Rubber Suits technique.
- Stan Winston - Famous for bringing The Terminator and the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park to life.
- Karel Zeman - Frequently referred to as Georges Méliès's Spiritual Successor.
Visual Effects Artists
A list of all the artists involved in the creation of visual or special effects.