"Watch out, bitch! That motherfucker got the knife! ...Bitch, y—watch it!!... Aw, ya dumbass motherfucker!!"
— Martin Lawrence watching a horror movie, You So Crazy
You know you've said it.
Viewers have their own Stock Phrases
. There are some tropes that evoke the same response in the audience every time, possibly at the same time, all over the world. Expect occasionally to hear them from the Genre Savvy
and Deadpan Snarker
. Basically anyone who edits this wiki.
Reviewers also have their own stock phrases.
- "Bet it's him" — said while watching practically any TV cop/crime show (especially if you've Narrowed It Down to the Guy I Recognize). Also, "Computers don't do that" during said show, when they make a couple of pixels into a high resolution image, or bash at the keyboard while supposedly "hacking" something as text scrawls down the screen at a speed no normal human could read or just do something really stupid like summoning demons.
- "Can they do that?" or "How'd they get away with that?"— See Getting Crap Past the Radar.
- "DO SOMETHING!"
- "Don't open the door, you moron..."/"Don't go in there!"— Standard horror film reaction, see Too Dumb to Live.
- "Dude, not funny."
- "FUCK, YEAH!"
- "Get on with it!"
- "Here we go..." — Usually said after the Invocation or Catch Phrase, or during the Transformation Sequence.
- Variant: "I feel a song coming on..."
- "He's doomed."
- "Hey, it's that guy."
- "Holy shit!"
- "You missed! How could you miss? He was like three feet short of you!" — See He Was Right There All Along. Also, in a different context, that of a trained enemy soldier missing the hero, see Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy.
- "How did I miss that?" —After the Chekhov's Gun is put to use.
- I Knew It!
- "Just kiss her already!" — Said while watching two "Just Friends" too stubborn to even make it to the Almost Kiss.
- "Kill him already!"
- "Like I've never seen that before." — When a trope is played so straight and unoriginally it sucks out all suspense or interest from a story.
- "Man, that's racist." — see Race Tropes and Unfortunate Implications.
- "Not again!" — said during many Overdosed Tropes, i.e. a Shout-Out to Star Wars, Earth All Along.
- "Not that I'm complaining..." — frequent conclusion to a description of a Stripperiffic outfit or something in the Fanservice department.
- "NOT THE DOG!" — Anytime an animal is being injured.
- "Oh, Come on, Like You Would Really Do It"
- "Oh No You Didn't!"
- "Oh, yeah? Let's see YOU do better!" — sometimes said in response to Hype Backlash.
- "Seen it..." — said when a specific shot is used more than once in a movie, see Stock Footage.
- "They couldn't possibly..." — Said when the viewer witnesses a particularly Awesome Crowning Moment Of Awesome.
- "Turn around!" — Said during a Slasher Movie as the next oblivious victim is being stalked by the psycho killer.
- Other options: "Look up already!", "Look out!", "Move!", "He's right behind you!"... Look Behind You is another option, but that's taken.
- "Uuugh, GOD!"
- "Wait a minute..." — Once the show's over and the Fridge Logic starts to set in.
- "Was that supposed to be funny?"
- "WHAT?!" — After a Mind Screw moment.
- "What an Idiot."
- "What - The - Fuck/Hell?!" later followed by "Holy Crap!" — while watching a show in which you never know exactly what is happening in regard to the plan/events, but it's brilliantly simple and pure genius once the plot is revealed.
- "What the hell was that?" — Said with accelerating frequency through Neon Genesis Evangelion, which, by the end of the series, may just result in: "What."
- "What Were You Thinking??" — said after a Deal with the Devil or Face-Heel Turn.
- Why don't they Just Eat Gilligan?
- "What Could Possibly Go Wrong?" — when an disaster is blatantly foreshadowed.
- "Why don't you just shoot him?!"
- "You just had to say it."
- "You shouldn't have done that..." Cue the Unstoppable Rage.