Video games have objectives. These objectives tend to boil down to about six basic goals, and several variations and modifiers. These are those objectives.
Common objectives include:
* Escape, or get to the exit. ("Escape from the prison.", "Find a way through the tunnel.")
* Go to point A. ("Get to the chopper!", "Find Roger and tell him about the crashed chopper.")
** Go to point A, and interact with X in particular manner. ("Plant a bomb on the structural support", "Listen in on the conversation between ThoseTwoBadGuys, making sure not to alert them to your presence.")
* Kill X. ("[[BossBattle Kill the Dragon!]]")
** Kill everything in X. ("Remove all the monsters in that cave")
** Kill every X in Y. ("Kill all the Giant Flaming Heads in this dungeon.")
** Kill or defeat X in a particular way. ("Take Roger down non-lethally"; "Kill TheDragon with his own poison, so that his death looks like an accident.")
** [[KillStreak Kill a certain amount of X without getting hit]]. ("Kill 3 enemies without dying.")
** Kill [number] X. ("[[MassMonsterSlaughterSidequest Kill 20 Zombies]], and get back to me.")
* [[FetchQuest Bring X to Y]]. ("Use this purification potion on the cursed altar", "Deliver this letter to the King of the Undead.")
** [[PlotCoupons Bring me X Ys]]. ("Bring me TwentyBearAsses.")
** Kill X, and bring me his Y. ("Kill the Dragon, and bring me his head.")
** [[EscortMission Escort X to Y]]. ("Escort me back to town.", "Escort Roger through the maze so he can unlock the door.")
* [[StockVideogamePuzzle Solve a puzzle]]. ("Find a way through this BlockPuzzle", "Find your way through the unlit caves.")
** Deal with an UnexpectedGameplayChange. ("Escape on the mine carts!", "Win a Cupid Doll from the Archery Booth.")
* [[HoldTheLine Survive until X happens.]]
** [[InstantWinCondition Survive for X amount of time.]]
** Don't let Party Member X die. ("Protect Lucia", "Make sure Hal has at least half of his HP after the fight.")
* Collect every item of type X.
Common modifiers (may be stacked):
* Protect X. ("Don't let Roger die!", "Don't let the building collapse!")
** Don't take damage. ([[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin Do we really need to provide an example?]])
* Don't do X. ("Don't [[BottomlessPit fall into a hole]].")
** Don't alert X. ("Don't alert the guards.")
** Don't kill X. ("Take Roger down non-lethally.", "Avoid shooting the hostages.")
** Don't use X. ("Don't use guns", "don't HealThyself")
* Do any of the above, to multiple targets. ("Plant bombs on the eight structural supports.")
** Do any of the above, to X of Y possible targets. ("Kill eight of the 12 Giant Flaming Heads.")
** Do any of the above, to a particular sequence of targets. ("Place the crystals in their matching altars in the order of the rainbow.")
* Do any of the above, at a particular time. ("Shoot the GiantMook in between his opening the door and his going through it.")
* [[TimedMission Do any of the above, in a particular amount of time.]] ("The tower is rigged to blow in five minutes; escape before then!")
* Do any combination of the above...
** in any order. ("I'll tell you about Roger if you kill the Dragon and rescue the Princess.")
** in a particular order. ("If you don't kill the Dragon first, he'll kill you when you try to rescue the Princess.")
Rewards include, but are not limited to:
* [[GlobalCurrency Gold]]
* [[VideoGameItemsAndInventory Equipment]]
* PlotCoupons or other plot advancement.
* [[AnAdventurerIsYou New Class]]
* [[SecretCharacter New Character]]
* New Area
* BraggingRightsReward - Often awarded for completing "bonus" objectives.
* [[MultipleEndings A secret ending]]
* New gameplay feature (e.g. HarderThanHard, BossRush)
* Information regarding what you have to do to actually [[DoubleUnlock get something]].
Compare StockVideoGamePuzzle. See also VariablePlayerGoals.