Another day at work.
The Vast Empire is an online group of Star Wars fans, writing fiction set in a modified version of the Star Wars Expanded Universe
where the Player Characters
comprise a splinter faction of the original Empire known as the Vast Empire. The heroic Stormtroopers
of the Vast Empire fight the terrorist
forces of the New Republic
Imperials, such as those led by Grand Admiral Thrawn
. Consisting of a handful of scattered worlds and a fairly small fleet of warships, the Vast Empire and its shadowy leaders nevertheless have grand ambitions
, centered at Imperial Center itself...
The (now dated) front page is here
, and the actual stories are here
This show provides examples of:
- A Father to His Men: Many Squad and Squadron leaders end up becoming this, both IC and OOC.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: The New Republic and the Imperial Remnant.
- Amazon Brigade: Numerous Stormtrooper Squads and Starfighter Squadrons have had a rosterful of women at times.
- Ax-Crazy: Many Player Characters over the years, including some particularly brutal Naval Intelligence characters. RAIDERS as a whole sits somewhere between this and Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits.
- Badass Army: The VE Stormtrooper Corps, Phoenix Company in particular: they held off three Star Destroyers and crippled two of them, then beat back a planetwide invasion force on their home planet.
- Chekhov's Gun: loose ends from one Holiday Squad Competition often tie into the overall plot or the story for the next year.
- The Dark Side: What the VE's rulers and guiding members are using as Dark Jedi.
- Dodge the Bullet: Done by the Noghri.
- Elite Mooks: All Player Characters and a few notable NPC units.
- The Empire: Somewhat subverted, as while VE has retained very few of its predecessor's bigoted and cruel influences, it's still mostly totalitarian. Members have occasionally cited this trope as an excuse to micromanage their OOC subordinates.
- Elites Are More Glamorous: Player Characters are rarely considered run-of-the-mill soldiers by the time their second battle rolls around.
- Ensign Newbie: Newcomers which prove their worth and are very active can ascend the command structure quickly during lulls in activity.
- Guns Akimbo: Fairly common in the Army.
- God-Mode Sue: Players that repeatedly abuse the system to commit absurd IC feats tend to be mocked and then have their characters gleefully killed once they quit.
- Gunship Rescue: An oft-used premise when one of the squads is in a jam.
- Hand Cannon: Carried around by members of the squads.
- Highly Conspicuous Uniform: The winner of the Elite Squad Competition gains distinction as the official Elite Squad and gets to wear bright red armour. Mostly averted due to camouflage on the regular Stormtrooper armour.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Averted, sometimes to the point of Improbable Aiming Skills.
- In-Universe Game Clock: The VE has been in the Thrawn era for over nine years of real-time, so Stormtroopers advance through the ranks in what must be days of in-universe time. "Chapters" are VE-wide stories that resync the timelines for a major canon event.
- Laser Blade: Is reserved for members of the secretive Dark Jedi Order, which rules the VE from behind the scenes.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Some old stories had Stormtroopers with vibrokatanas.
- More Dakka: An effective solution to enemies who can dodge bullets and wipe out squads with a stone knife. Sometimes.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Comes up about as much as you'd expect. Some Squad leaders make it their slogan.
- Obligatory War Crime Scene: Several, due to the nature of the main characters.
- Old Soldier: Several, both in-character and out.
- One-Man Army: Overlaps with God-Mode Sue as above, usually averted. Played straight for certain scenarios where a normal squad would be expected to die.
- Redshirt Army: The Imperial Army and the "normal" Stormtroopers, as well as the majority of the Starfighter Corps, who take many more casualties than their PC counterparts.
- Take Over the World: Well, the galaxy.
- The Medic: One of the RP "specs" members can choose.
- The Remnant: The Vast Empire itself qualifies. Others are occasional villains in stories.
- Sociopathic Soldier: Several. See Ax-Crazy above.
- Squad Nickname: For all the Squads and Squadrons.
- The Squad: Most Player Characters are assigned to an Army Squad or Navy Squadron.
- Villain Protagonist: The premise of the Vast Empire.
- Wingman: Starfighter combat relies heavily on wingmen.