A 2005 novel by Jodi Picoult
Delia Hopkins seems to a lucky girl. She is engaged to her high school sweetheart
, has a successful job as a search-and-rescue person (with a bloodhound), and has a wonderful child, Sophie.
Then her father, Andrew, gets arrested for kidnapping her as a 4 year old in Arizona and everything changes. Her fiancÚ Eric becomes his lawyer for free and Delia and Sophie follow him to Arizona. She finds out her mother, Elise, was an alcoholic and her mother's lover supposedly sexually abused her as a child.
She also finds out her original name was Bethany Matthews and her father was named Charles Matthews. Eric is struggling not to fall Off The Wagon
, and Delia's other childhood friend, Fitz
, is struggling not to reveal his true feelings for her. Meanwhile, Andrew is waiting in jail. Eventually, Andrew is found not guilty, Eric falls off the wagon and Delia ends up with Fitz.
- The Alcoholic- Eric, Eric's mom and Elise.
- Alcoholic Parent - See above. Eric may not count because he is sober for most of the book.
- Black Best Friend - Andrew's friend Concise in jail. He dies at the end, though.
- Black Dude Dies First- Concise
- Driven to Suicide- Ruthann
- The Eighties: Eric discusses the "Repressed Memory" and Satanism hysteria, saying that Delia's memory of her stepfather molesting her would have been great 20 years ago, but now repressed memories are not believed.
- Girl Next Door- Delia to both Eric and Fitz
- High School Sweethearts- Delia and Eric.
- Love Triangle- between Delia, Eric and Fitz
- I Should Write a Book About This- At the end of the book, Fitz reveals towards the end that he has been writing - surprise! - a book about this entire event. However, there's the fact that the book was written in first-person, revolving between the four main characters, so this means that he was obsessing over the thoughts of the girl he's been in love with since he was a kid.
- Missing Mom- Elise, but not of her own volition.
- Magical Native American- Ruthann, though not supernatural.
- Magical Negro: Concise
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia - Delia forgets her molestation by her mother's lover Victor until her father mentions it in court.
- Two Guys and a Girl- Delia, Eric and Fitz
- Victorious Childhood Friend - Eric, and later Fitz.