This is the cast member without a place of origin. No one knows where they came from and everyone has a theory about where they are truly from. They are all wrong. This character is usually from some small country in Eastern Europe
or from a small island in the South Pacific, but they aren't telling until the summer trip episode. This character is usually the prince/princess or other nobility from Undisclosed-istan.
have an increased chance of Laser-Guided Amnesia
: you can't disclose where you came from if you can't remember where you came from.
Anime & Manga
- Kaolla Su from Love Hina is a perfect example of an Undisclosed Native, having her place of origin a secret until the second-last book in the manga.
- Yotsuba Koiwai from Yotsuba&!. She has the amnesia, but with the excuse that she would have been a toddler when she left.
- Errand from The Belgariad serves as a High Fantasy version of this. Many of the older characters also apply, such as Belgarath (who forgot what race of people he was).
- Queequeg, of Moby-Dick, is from the imaginary Polynesian isle of Rokovoko ("Kokovoko" in some printings).
- Fez in That '70s Show. Any time his actual name or country is stated, a loud sound effect (i.e. school bell, car horn, etc.) is made.
- Takua, the chronicler of BIONICLE and the closest thing to an ordinary protagonist, was said to be from Ta-Koro in earlier arcs, but his blue mask was an anomaly that nobody has an answer to. Part of this comes from the fact that when he becomes a Toa by donning the Mask of Light, his element becomes light, instead of fire like other Ta-Matoran. This detail is brought up again in the Mistika arc, when the Toa Nuva help him realize that he was not only Av-Matoran, Matoran of the light element but one of the very first Matoran, who helped develop Karda Nui, and that the blue mask he wore as a Matoran was a replacement for his original mask, which broke at some point after the exodus from Metru Nui. He has also had several bouts of amnesia blocking his memories after risky adventures, which helped trigger his memory of Karda Nui.
- Rolf in Ed, Edd n Eddy hails from a place he only ever calls "The Old Country". Rolf himself is Ambiguously Brown with an untraceable accent, while the customs shown from his old country that aren't entirely made up seem to just be a vague mishmash from every corner of Europe.