We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
When a character is so fearless or determined that, instead of fleeing, he attacks an overpowering enemy with a laughably underpowered weapon, such as charging a tank with a knife. This is often seen from soldiers (since they usually carry knives in addition to firearms), wherein upon facing an enemy way out of their league and possibly running out of ammo, they pull out their trusty melee Emergency Weapon
Of course, unless The Cavalry
enters the fray in that very moment (which it often does), it might very well cue a Dying Moment of Awesome
Contrast Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight
and Never Bring a Knife to a Fist Fight
. May be the mark of a Proud Warrior Race Guy
or a Determinator
of any kind. May take the form of Attack! Attack... Retreat! Retreat!
if Played for Laughs
open/close all folders
- Ciaphas Cain series. The title character once charged a daemon of Khorne with nothing but a rusty bayonet and a vial of holy water (presumably people were watching, forcing him into HERO OF THE IMPERIUM mode, or the alternative was worse). Also invoked, in that his reputation is such that (in his own words) when he asks something of someone, "they'd rather take on a Carnifex◊ with a broken chair leg than feel they'd let me down".
- The Charge Of The Light Brigade, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, an fictionalized account of an actual battle in which a small cavalry detachment attempted to make a break in a line of heavy artillery, with devastating results.
- In the season finale of Andromeda, Tyr and Harper are trapped in a room with Magog bearing down on them. Tyr fires his final shot at one then throws the gun at them and pulls out a large knife. He gives Harper one too, and together they prepare to face the Magog horde.
- In the Blackadder episode "Born to be King", Richard IV is believed lost in battle after he charged a Turkish army, on his own, armed only with a small fruit knife. Between Conservation of Ninjutsu, Rule of Funny, and the fact that he's played by BRIAN BLESSED, he triumphed "thanks to his trusty fruit knife".
- Republic players in Star Wars: The Old Republic can meet Sergeant Jolis on Balmorra: a Sole Survivor of a fighter squadron who is now determined to come back and retrieve his comrade's black boxes from the overwhelming Imperial presence even though he basically needs instructions from his astromech droid on how to operate his blaster rifle properly.
- In May 2004, during the early days of the war in Iraq, a detachment from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders responded to a distress call from 8 British soldiers near Al Amara. But it was an ambush, and the 30 or so men were soon surrounded by more than 150 Iraqi militiamen. After three hours of fighting, their ammunition running low, the commander of the Scottish troops ordered his men to fix bayonets and charge the enemy positions. The Iraqis were completely taken by surprise; 28 were killed and the rest fled with the loss of only 2 Highlanders.
- That story about cavalry charging tanks you might have heard is actually not an example, in case you wondered.