I like my justice like I like my coffee . . .Twilight Heroes
is a free, browser-based online game in the style of (and partially inspired by) Kingdom of Loathing
. In this game, you play a superhero out to save the city of Twilight from the forces of various nefarious evildoers, whose crimes and powers range from the trivial to the superhuman. Naturally, the game features an awareness of many Superhero Tropes
Combat is turn-based; each day the player is given a certain amount of time, starting at 6:00 PM in which to play these turns (more time can be added, up to a point, by various means). Turns are 5 minutes by default (but can be shortened or lengthened with equipment and status effects).
Players can take the form of one of four different classes of superhero:
- Elemental: Stat-wise, the most balanced of the classes. The elemental naturally enough has powers, skills and buffs based on the four classic elements. And the ability to breathe underwater.
- "The elemental hero fights crime with a mastery of the four elements. Earth, air, fire, and water all obey the heroes' wills and make them a force to be reckoned with. Just don't ask them to light a cigarette for you—they really get sick of that."
- Gadgeteer: The class that focuses on ranged combat and high reflexes. The gadgeteer's skills have a technology theme, including the ability to build more advanced computers than members of other classes.
- "The gadgeteer's specialty is always having the right tool for the job. Natural inventiveness provides gadgeteer heroes with an array of gadgets and gizmos to help them navigate through life's—and their enemies'—obstacles. If you like playing with toys then this is your calling."
- Naturalist: The class that focuses on melee combat and high strength. The naturalist's buffs and combat skills are all animal-themed, and they can "tame" certain foes.
- "Naturalist heroes have great physical strength, but their greatest skill is their ability to channel the powers of numerous wild animals. Not only can they drink like a fish and snore like a bear, but they will sting like a butterfly and float like a bee. Or, um, the other way around."
- Psion: The class that focuses on spells and high intellect. The psion's skills are themed around their mental powers, and psions are better able to use their class powers.
- "The psion hero relies on the power of the mind. A masterful intellect combines with telekinetic and psychic powers to make a powerful crime-fighting hero. If you knew I was going to say that then the Psion hero is probably for you."
The artwork consist primarily of photographs that have been manipulated with various software filters to create a distinctive style.
It is completely free of sparkly vampires
, we promise. A fact that the game itself mentions a few times
. . .Play it here!
This game provides examples of: