While there are a few Abridged Series of CLAMP
's Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
out there, two are particularly notable. Emerging at around the same time, they take very different (but equally entertaining) approaches to the series.
Also be sure to check out their interaction with respect to the Abridged War
which is quite frankly hilarious
"Argh! I'm getting attacked by my own handwriting!"
Very heavy on shout outs
and pop culture references. Surprisingly successful (considering this is a CLAMP series) in downplaying the Ho Yay
The series stopped at episode 10 and as of 7th October 2011 Chibi Total Obelisk
account had been taken down.
This show provides examples of:
As a CLAMP-ophile
, Julia tends to make more references to other CLAMP
series and push the CLAMP
related tropes further than other Tsubasa Abridged Series
. Unlike ChibiTotalObelisk, she turns the Ho Yay Up to Eleven
This show provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: How unexpected, an entire episode devoted to someone other than Syaoran.
- All Men Are Perverts: From Xxx HO Li C: The Abridged Movie;
Yuuko: There are mysterious things in the universe, and among the most mysterious are the creeps who like to look at me naked. Stop looking you perverts!
- Bachelor Auction: Chun Hyang forces Fay and Kurogane into one of these.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: "You're too ugly to be a good guy."
- Born Lucky: Sakura is told that she is "CLAMP's favorite daughter", therefore making her this. She ends up wondering what Kamui did to piss CLAMP off so badly.
- Camp Gay: Fay
Sakura: Mr. Fay made it! He's good at stuff like cooking... sewing... interior decorating...
- Character Exaggeration: A few of these. Fay is by far the most blatant with his constant sexual advances towards Kurogane and compulsive lying.
- Chirping Crickets
- Comedic Sociopathy: Tomoyo is prone to this, in both her original world and Piffle.
- Compensating for Something: Yuuko accuses Kurogane of this.
- Crossdressing Voices: It's pretty obvious that all of the characters are voiced by a woman, even the male ones. This was averted recently when Nokoru Imonoyama was introduced.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: "It feels like every brain cell in my head is turning on the one next to it and they're all setting each other on fire."
- Darker and Edgier: Damn you, teenage angst!
- Deadpan Snarker: Fay does this sometimes.
- Depraved Homosexual: Fai and Seishiro.
- Ephebophile: Seishiro. His love of teenage boys causes the world to become unstable in episode 21.
- Fanservice: Touya and Yukito are brought back just to provide fangirl fodder. Touya's not very happy about it.
- Filler: "Never underestimate the power of stretching out the plot"
- God Created Canon Foreigner: Shogo denies being this.
- Goddesses of Evil: In Miyuki-chan in Wonderland Abridged it's revealed that CLAMP themselves are this. They are also implied to be an Eldritch Abomination.
Miyuki-Chan: Why are you so mean to your creations?
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Kurogane in episode 3
Syoran: Hi, Mr. Kurogane, sir.
Kurogane: I was not looking at him like that!
- He Who Must Not Be Heard: Ryuu-oh's mic is broken, so he has to use the text chat. This results in a lot of Leet Lingo. "l33t txt skillz, n00bs! lol!"
- It continues in season 2, where he presumably has the ability to talk; he's just really creeped out by Syaoran.
- Hotter and Sexier: Damn you, teenage hormones!
- Ho Yay: Invoked and parodied. Constantly.
- Idiot Ball: Pretty much everyone in Jade Country
- Imagine Spot: Fai's wish.
Kurogane: I am completely and irrevocably in love with you! Allow me to offer you my virginity. And this t-bone steak. And this trophy.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Yuuko thinks this in the second episode when dealing with the gang
- Jerkass: Mokona
- Leet Lingo: Ryuu-oh
- Lolicon: Syaoran accuses Yuuko of this.
- Medium Awareness: Fai.
- Metaphorgotten: "Maybe we should keep him on a leash. With a spiked collar. And leather straps. And by we, I mean I."
- Most Definitely Not a Villain: Dr. Kyle
- Mr. Exposition: Fay, since he's the only one who has read the manga.
- Although Kurogane has been trying to catch up to speed.
- Touya also gets to do this in episode 13: "Well, exposition exposition exposition, further exposition, flashback, flashback..."
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Chun Hyang tries this on Sakura.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations:
Kurogane: I did not sign up to be used as slave labour.
Fay: You know, they've left us all alone together in this house
Kurogane: Making us do all the work...
Fay: Nobody around for miles...
Korogane: Those brats and the bunny should be helping us do this
Fay: Who knows what sort of dirty things could happen between two consenting adults
Kurogane: Are we talking about the same thing?
- Pokémon Speak: Kusanagi.
- Psycho Lesbian: Tomoyo. Lampshaded by Sakura:
Sakura: Must protect virginity from crazy lesbian!
- Southern Belle: Souma has the accent, at least.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Syaoran tells Sakura that she can't be in the fight because fighting is a man's job.
Syaoran: Now go make me a sammich, woman!
Sakura: Well, screw you too.
- Unusual Euphemism:
Kurogane: Why don't you go celebrate yourself?
- Another example from a flashback Sakura was having:
Touya: Stay out of my room Sakura. Yukito and I are gonna go...study. Yeah, that sounds good.
(slams door shut, and romantic music plays in the background)
- Yaoi Fangirl: Sakura, if this dialogue is anything to go by.
Sakura: Oh, wow. I'm going to go take a cold shower. Or three.
- Yaoi Guys / Token Yuri Girls: Both are lampshaded and mocked heavily. Both terms are referred to as "CLAMP friends".
- Yuri Fan: Nokoro and Fai both sound a little too enthusiastic to hear Tomoyo talking about taking off Sakura's clothes and having a pillow fight with her. In Nokoro's case this might overlap with Girl-on-Girl Is Hot.