Just another day looking cool and fighting the Big Bad
( トレントンの年代記 ) was a series of web-novels compiled from the message board RPG of the same name over the last 10+ years, it ran from 1999 to 2013. The main story was centered on a group of seemingly random people getting mixed up in some pretty weird situations, eventually they form a rag-tag group based loosely on friendship or morality and, in most cases they get along fairly well.
The setting centers on the fictional eponymous city of Trinton
, which acts as a center post in economics, politics, science and magic for the entire East Coast of the United States, all from the state of Virgina.
This Web Original
characters who all have supernatural
abilities or gifts with a few of them appearing rather weird or seemingly useless
in everyday life while others get used heavily for mundane chores
The books themselves were written in story-arc format so that each book is a separate setting with an over-all theme and variant length of pages per book, so far the trend appears to be less pages and less story. There were 4 web-books in all: Fantasia, Silence, Hallow's Eve,
and Righteous Termination,
- the story was Cut Short
with the end of ''Righteous Termination''
Had a link to the main page of the site but has since been deactivated with the closure of the site and web series. The series is being archived as of 2014 and should have it's own archived page soon. Now currently has a set of fan cards based on Magic: The Gathering
found via Google Docs: where the dream lives on.
. Also the archived stories can be found here
As of March, 2014 a revival novel was in the works from the creator of the series, who hopes to publish it via Amazon and Kindle soon.
Has a Character Sheet
The web original reveals examples of:
- An Ice Person: Frost can freeze anything and he has an eternally on ice-aura, he also is very scary when pushed too far.
- Action Girl: All the main female characters count.
- Action Mom: Sabella
- Aerith and Bob: There are names like Sara and Jay then we got names like Sabella and Kalinda...
- Alternate Continuity: although rarely mentioned in the main story (yet has two sub-stories dedicated to it) there is an Alternate Universe version of Trinton where events went very different; so differently that this other world is mostly a dystopia with heavy pollution, seems Darkerand Edgier, and features other races of species that not normally evolved in the normal universe. On top of all that everyone here is mostly normal aside from a few super-hero/villein types who also sort of rule with an iron fist.
- Amplifier Artifact: The black scythe Darkstar can boost a single power of a person as long as they are holding him; this is subverted with Coatl who has the ability to amplify anyone's powers/abilities (except magic & science based ones) when she wants to help them out, although she isn't an object nor does she utilize any such objects.
- Animal Motifs / Animal Stereotypes: Lizards as assasians , dogs as cops half the time, cats as theives, etc.
- All There in the Manual: With out reading the Wet Pain Wiki, Message Board, or Character sheets you wouldn't realize how deep the world actually is.
- All Your Powers Combined: Jasmine could perform this action but doesn't seem to really care to do so often.
- An Adventurer Is You: Any magic and tech user is limited by the schools of thought they practice (i.e. Dimensional-Witches only do temporal and spatial based things while Rocket-Scientists only build and destroy missile based things.)
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Brandon has a lot of this trope.
- Arc Words: Every title of each novel is an example of this - Fantasia, Hallow's Eve, etc.
- Author Avatar: Every writer in Trinton Chronicles has one of these...or three depending on the writer.
- Awesomebut Impractical: Kalinda uses guns and can apparently aim, shoot, and always hit. Its impractical as she can punch-out and lift most foes with ease!
- Battle Couple: Jay & Sabella - Bone & Kat (not a couple par-say brother & sister)
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Although everyone has a form of live-birth, lizards & dragons are born with an evolutionary left-over of an egg sac (a membrane surrounding their bodies with yolk still attached), mustelids are born with full teeth, marsupials are born bald, and feline & canine are born blind. Also only mammals have breasts or can suckle their young, although via genetic crossbreeding lizards and dragons have BOTH developed breasts they do not produce milk.
- Blessed with Suck: Robert's a summoner but cursed with ties to some fairly powerful beings and let us not forget his weak will.
- Breath Weapon: This isn't seen often as only dragons and half-dragons have breath-weaponry; case in point is Elijah the draconian-knight.
- Brother Chuck: Whatever happened to half the characters from story arcs 1 through 4? You get this often depending on the characters and story setting going on.
- Brother-Sister Team: Bone & Kat are obviously this.
- Blow You Away: The only one who could control wind 'energy' and make knife-air was Rayte.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Trinty....'nuff said.
- Cast from Hit Points: Over use of one's powers causes physical exhaustion, like running to long, and causes one to eventually pass out from over-exertion.
- Casting a Shadow: Dan's over all powers over darkness seem to relate to this as he can create and manipulate it at will.
- Cats Are Mean: Most of the villains tend to be feline but subverted by Jay, not so much by Sara who is half-demon.
- Christmas Episode: According to the current story, Luminous Umbras is one of these.
- Combo Platter Powers: Jasmine straight up & down, but also Dan (time, light, and dark), Sabella (electricity and water), or even Boris (digging, crystal armor, x-ray vision) to name a few.
- Coolest Club Ever: Lacey's Night Club
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Dan wiping the floor with the fairy sisters. And lets not forget Aurora's moment of attack & kick-ass.
- Jay and Xiion fighting for real.
- Taltos wipes the floor with the heroes for a while.
- Aurora fighting Silence Cult Members
- Cursed with Awesome: To many to list...
- Cut Short: The story was never officially finished and thus it is in fact a mere Quartet series.
- Dark Action Girl: Sara a half-demon half-feline who happens to also have a thing for chaos and causing it all with that lovable sarcasm of her's.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Dan proves this one as dark energy generation is one of his abilities.
- Development Hell: Officially moved from development hell to finished out in March, 2013. A private revival has been planned by the original creator.
- Depending on the Writer: Having multiple writers the story has...some minor problems between certain scenes. Over all it can be ignored most of the time.
- Deus Exit Machina
- Doppelgänger Attack: Aurora's many clones of herself although they may act independently tend to be able to gang up on a single person at once.
- Elemental Baggage: Played straight for Sabella most of the time.
- Elemental Powers: Practically everyone has a form of this.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors
- Empathic Weapon: Subverted, Darkstar is telepathic and can read everyone's minds with in 300 feet of himself, technically he could be empathic.
- Everyone Is a Super: Everyone on Tan'arn (their word for Earth) has a power or ability of some sort.
- Equivalent Exchange: Science and Magic both have to give to get, even if it doesn't seem like it at first. Some super powers require an exchange in order to work but not always of equal value.
- Fantastic Drug: a few magical items can be addictive if touched
- Fantastic Racism: Lizards get a little flack for this; but there are also the Undergrounders who are, for the most part, Expies of the sewer dwelling Morlocks from the X-Men.
- Fast Tunnelling: Boris has the ability to move 4 to 5 times faster underground then above it.
- Functional Magic: The Relic Link's headquarters has a ton of this just floating/sitting/standing around.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Brandon & Robert respectively.
- Grand Finale: While unofficial, the fourth web novel sort of has a final feeling to it. As there was nothing after the 4th web novel it never had a true grand finale.
- Halloween Episode: All of Hallow's Eve is this.
- Healing Factor: Xiion can activate his own healing power and regenerate his body at a rapid acceleration.
- Healing Hands: Coatl is the one person who actually has this power as a real ability and not a spell, seeing as how its a super rare ability in this world, she keeps it well hidden.
- Kalinda has a healing spell that requires her to touch her allies to transfer the healing.
- Athero has healing magic and a lay-on-hands type spell that allows him to do massive regeneration to a single person.
- Heel-Face Turn: Sara does this as does Darkstar...both go from the semi-bad to semi-good. Maybe this is Chaotic Neutral...
- Half Every-Beast Hybrid: Apparently EVERYONE can interbreed, although it doesn't seem likely that they would. In a short story it is mentioned that not many want to.
- Immune to Drugs: Subverted a little, Xiion is resistant to drugs and liqueur not immune.
- In the Blood: All powers are passed from parent to child in the Trinton universe and can not be physically stolen with out a power-stealing feat.
- In Spite of a Nail: The history panes out like a parallel dimension. The only things that diverge is when the history goes past 2007 in the timeline.
- Light 'em Up: On of Dan's powers is creating and manipulating lights.
- Light Is Not Good: Asheyah.
- Literal Split Personality: Subverted to a degree, Aurora can make copies of her self...up to 3 to be exact. Normally these clones have her personality and traits on rare occasions they have something else entirely.
- Living Weapon: Darkstar with his normal form being a floating scythe.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Well this is self-explanatory honestly, over 10 main and 30 secondary characters over all.
- Lunacy: The goddess of the moon and angelic being known as Faith.
- Manly Gay: Frost is a masculin, muscled, and level-headed ex-detective who just happens to be gay
- Making a Splash: Only Sabella fills this role with her water control and ability to melt and re-freeze it with out the aid of heat or cold at will.
- Messianic Archetype: The mysterious Jade and Dan who defiantly counts as this most of the time due to the fact that if he is hurt or far to freighted his consciousness slips a little and he goes on auto-pilot where he transforms to all white with huge angel-like wings and his powers get cranked Up to Eleven
- Me's a Crowd: Used mostly by Aurora who can duplicate herself up to three times.
- Nano Machines: Silence story arc is pretty much BUILT on them.
- Non-Elemental: Magic...Science...you take your pick here folks.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: The one or two art pieces match all other art works by having most characters with breasts even the story implies that most females now have them despite the fact that it was handwaved with 'They Interbred and developed.'
- Orphaned Series: The story was left unfinished before the final 5th story.
- Petting Zoo People: The whole cast of the stories.
- Playing with Fire: Jay, Sara, even a mini-foe named Scorch all fill this troupe nicely.
- Post-Modern Magik: Robots use magic, cars can run on it, and its fairly practical now a days.
- Power Copying: Jasmine has power duplication and can copy any other power (excluding magic, body-based, and summons) with-in at least 1000 yards range of herself. It seems like she can duplicate up to three powers at once but does so at an uncommon rate, typically sticking to one power to toy with for a while.
- Powers as Programs: All powers seem to be interchangeable if someone can absorb, copy, instill, or steal them.
- Powered Armor: Boris is the only character to have ANY form of armor and each crystal color he generates out of his body has various effects like red deflects energy attacks, blue absorbs physical attacks, purple makes him immune to mind attacks, etc.
- Punch Clock Villain: The Silence Cult really do fall under this trope.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: This happens off and on in the story as it is also an online message board and game of sorts; authors come and go.
- Required Secondary Powers: Often unmentioned but really Boris, Sabella, Dan, and even Robert have at least a few of these to survive the very use of their powers.
- Sinister Scythe: Darkstar IS a scythe and he is sinister looking
- Spiritual Successor: In a round-about way The Vu is a successor to parts of Trinton Chronicles using parts of it for inspiration and references.
- Super Strength: Kalinda...all the way....
- Summon Magic: Subverted to a degree, all True Summoners have the power to make bargains and deals and marks to summon objects, people, and beings at will with out magic. The mystic version takes a long time and involves rituals to do the right way. Robert is the only known character to have this power in the current character line up.
- The Power of the Sun: The goddess of the sun and demonic being known as Asheyah...even if she is nude at all times.
- Time Master: Dan fills this troupe, he controls time at will after all.
- Video Game Adaptation: As of October 2011 an RPG game was being worked on to adapt Trinton Chronicles to a broader audience but was Cut Short by a change in direction.
- Web Serial Novel: The board posts were all saved in Document format for all to read.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: Faith & Asheyah fill this troupe together as one is angelic while the other is demonic.