If Modesty Shorts
involves a character wearing a skirt over shorts, then Tights Under Shorts involves a character wearing, well, tights under
shorts. This is a great way to avoid too much fanservice with even the shorter shorts
(including hot pants), though not as popular or traditional as Modesty Shorts
, Skirt over Slacks
, or Proper Tights with a Skirt
. If flesh-colored tights
are used, especially where censorship rules don't allow bare legs (as was most notoriously the case with The Dukes of Hazzard
), then it can be used as a method of Getting Crap Past the Radar
. Under certain circumstances, the tights can serve to prevent visible leg injuries
(like scraped skin or minor cuts) if their material is strong enough.
Don't expect the shorts in question to be Modesty Shorts
except on EXTREMELY rare occasions.
Anime and Manga
- Konata wears black tights under her olive green shorts with one of her casual outfits in Lucky Star, particularly on the cover of volume 1 of the manga, as well as in several strips in the manga itself.
- Ritsu wore blue pantyhose under her shorts in one of the ending sequences of K-On!.
- Kurisu Makise in Stein's Gate.
- In the anime version of Cardcaptor Sakura, and possibly a few other times, Sakura wore tights under shorts during a winter scavenger hunt.
- Apparently Hikaru, a rare male example, when he was younger as seen through the time skip in the third opening.
- This is part of Kyoko Sakura's attire in this New Year's celebratory image◊ featuring the main cast of Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Film - Animated
- In the planned fanseries Pretty Cure Strange Happenings (which is still in the developmental stages as of writing), Cures Kyuketsu and Ramen wear this with their costumes; specifically, Kyuketsu wears jean shorts and Ramen dark green shorts, both over white tights.
- Haruhi Suzumiya wears jean shorts over red tights with one of her casual outfits in SOS Pretty Cure.
- Lina Eastwood does this as Super Cure Western in the series finale of Pretty Cure Hollywood Stars as the rest of the Cures get their own final costume upgrades as well.
- Tsumugi does this fairly frequently in Rhythmic Pretty Cure. Usually, it's during rhythmic gymnastics classes, competitions and exhibitions, or when she's Cure Clubs.
Film - Live Action
- Part of Penny's costume from Bolt when she's filming the eponymous TV series about a girl and her superdog.
- Olivia Castle wears fishnet tights with black leather shorts during the opening disaster scene in Final Destination 5.
- Trash from Return of the Living Dead appears to be wearing this at first, but this gets subverted during her striptease scene when it's revealed that she's actually wearing thigh-high legwarmers.
- Mira from the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl generation of video games.
- Both the female and male protagonists of Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 sport these as well. They appear to be wetsuits rather than tights, but the effect is the same.
- Mao from Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice is a rare male example. In his case it's more longer shorts under regular shorts.
- Chaos from Xenosaga does this as well.
- Another male example, Ash Crimson from The King of Fighters in his alternate costume's first color in Maximum Impact: Regulation A, as well as in one other palette swap.
- Invoked by most incarnations of Mega Man and his supporting cast, as most robot characters' legs are painted a different color from their pelvic components. Mega Man Legends' Roll is a straight example, but her tights are only slightly longer than her iconic short shorts.
- Homestuck. Equius Zahhak usually dresses like this. Fanservice was probably not the intended effect.
- Players of modern Roller Derby often do this as sliding bare-skinned along a concrete or wooden surface causes "rink rash." Tights are a necessity and are worn to protect the skater during inevitable spills and crashes.
- A popular choice for soccer players to keep their legs warm in cold weather, as well as for muscular support.
- Curiously, done with the "Hooters Girls" outfits, in the manner of Daisy Duke.
- Some cosplayers will add dance tights if the costume involves shortshorts. This is to help even skintone and hide cellulite.
- Recently wearing black tights under shorts has become fashionable for teenage girls, perhaps as it provides warmth and a degree of modesty while still showing off the legs.