, having seen their other super plumber brother
go neglected for a good while, have decided to combat this treatment by declaring 2013 the Year of Luigi, it being the 30th anniversary of his first appearance
in Mario Bros.
. The celebration carried on for exactly 365 days — a full year, in other words — meaning the celebration began on March 19, 2013, and concluded on March 18, 2014.
During this celebration, three new Luigi-centric games were released, and in Japan a special 3DS XL
was released with one of them
coming pre-installed. This also coincides with two special Year of Luigi Miiverse communities opening for 2013.
View the official Tumblr page here
The games released for the celebration include:
Games released that contain nods to the celebration include:
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U (he's usually a Secret Character in the Smash series, but he was made into an initial character due to this anniversary, with his trophy even mentioning the anniversary itself)
- Street Pass Mii Plaza (the Miis given out during E3 2013 via Spotpass wore Luigi hats)
- Animal Crossing New Leaf (Nintendo of America's dream town has Luigi themed items, and even a Luigi photo stand-in)
- Mario Bros. (was released on Wii U's Virtual Console. Luigi made his first appearance in Mario Bros.)
- Super Mario 3D World (the game, like New Super Luigi U, has 8-bit Luigis hidden in some courses. By completing the game, the player can play a remake of Mario Bros. named Luigi Bros., which has Luigi as the first player. If the player has a save file for New Super Luigi U, the game is unlocked at the start.)
- NES Remix (Placed Luigi in Donkey Kong, a game that existed before he did)
- NES Remix 2 (Contains a Mini-Game called "Super Luigi Bros.", a Game Mod of Super Mario Bros. 1 that flips the levels horizontally, and replaces Mario with Luigi, who has his physics from Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels)