The 20th Century
aka: Twentieth Century
The Twentieth Century: a very memorable century in history, in which development and society rapidly changed in many ways. Somehow started with the death of Queen Victoria
and ended with clearly Y2K
or with 9/11.
The Twentieth Century's cultural decades are divided into:
- The Edwardian Era: (1901 - June 1914, though may extend until 1918) King Edward VII on the Throne, rich white people, rich economy, high endeavours, ragtime, elaborate dresses with S-bend corsets, Gibson Girls, suffragettes, the Theory of Relativity, weird and wacky flying machines, "horseless carriages" and other inventions, and the RMS Titanic. Once used as a good nostalgic setting until the 1950s.
- World War I: (Summer 1914 - 1919) The war that supposed to "end all wars", until its sequel came up.
- The Roaring Twenties: (1919 - October 1929) Bootleg + Flappers + Jazz x Booming Economy = par-tayz. Also with gangsters, silent films, radio, Charlie Chaplin, stylistic and futuristic Arts Decoratifs, gin tubs, and "23 Skidooin' bees knees seeing a man about a dog".
- The Great Depression: (November 1929 - September 1939) Parties were over with a crash and the worst has begun. More gangsters, the dust bowl, and Those Wacky Nazis aside, expect for soundfilms with Ginger and Fred, comedians like The Stooges and The Marxes, and bombshells like Jean Harlow in a sexy slip.
- The Forties (1937 - 1949): a turbulent time, a mark of transition. All the while it's swingtime for soldiers with Glamorous Wartime Singers in technicolor and bebop for badass private eyes with Femme Fatale stunners in noir.
- The Fifties: (1945 - 1961/November 1963) Hot War was over, Cold War has begun, Edwardian and 1920s nostalgia, housewives with aprons and elaborate dresses, your standard father, family moments, Baby Boomers, Rock & Roll, rebellious teenagers and television. A nice nostalgic and retro setting.
- The Sixties: (1961/November 1963 - 1970) The Vietnam War, The Space Race, The Kennedys, The Civil Rights Movement, The Miniskirts, The Beatles, The Hippies, The Psychedelia, The Free Love Sex, The Mindbending Drugs, The Rockin' Roll, man, The Wierdness, The Wonders,... The Articles...
- The Seventies: (1970 - 1981) Disco, disco and more disco, dance until it dies!!! Also big sideburns, afros, hot mustaches and beards, blockbuster movies, disco, polyester, disco, rebellions, revolutions, spiritual discoveries, lava lamps, Pong, and Disco
- The Eighties: (1981 - 1991) Everything's BIG!!! BIG HAIR, BIG POWER SUITS WITH BIG SHOULDERS, BIG ECONOMY, BIG DEBAUCHERY, BIG POLITICS, BIG MOVIES, BIG MUSIC, BIG CELEBRITIES, BIG RUNNING GAGS, BIG!!! Totally a de-fin-IT-elly radically BIG nostalgic setting.
- The Nineties: (1991 - January 2000/1 for some, and September 2001 for the rest) The Internet, Alternative Rock with the fragrance of teen spirit, early Hip Hop "Yo, Vanilla Ice Ice Baby", teenage angst, upbeat parties and concets, flanel shirts, loose sagging pants, Jennifer Aniston's signature haircut, Boy Bands, the Spice Girls, Britney Spears, the Lambada, the Macarena, TV shows and games you grew on this decade and are now a victim of Rule34 internet memes and parodies