It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
The Starvation Sequence is a series of fanfictions based on The Hunger Games
published on fanfiction.net by Penelope Wendy Bing. Each tells the story of an original Hunger Games. Two are currently completed, with the third in progress.
The series picks up with the first Hunger Games, directly after the end of the rebellion. Consecutive stories then build on this, fleshing out the early Games and especially the development of the Hunger Games themselves.
Provides Examples Of:
- Action Girl: To.
- Action Fanfic Quiet Drama Scene: Several in all stories.
- Aerith and Bob
- Affably Evil: President Hellwick, when she's in a good mood.
- A House Divided: Once the food runs out, the less dedicated members of Wrianin's group start to turn on the others.
- Alpha Bitch: Anastasia appears to be the Panem equivalent of one.
- February, a side character, behaves quite a bit like one in her brief appearance.
- Always Save the Girl: Adrian puts the life of his love interest before anyone else in the arena, himself included.
- Anti-Hero: Wesley (Type V) and Eewyn (Type III/Type IV) stand out among the rest.
- Anyone Can Die: And most of them will.
- Band of Brothers: Wrianin's friends.
- Becoming the Mask: After her victory, Eewyn invokes this because she knows it will be easier to deal with the guilt if she can learn to be the uncaring person she pretends to be.
- Berserk Button: Mistaking "Blossom" as Ever Blossom's middle name will send her raging.
- Big Damn Heroes: When Wrainin and company swoop in to save Flute and Fenn.
- Adrian saving Roe from the giant squid.
- Blood Sport: The Hunger Games.
- Break the Cutie: Flute dies slowly, sees most of her friends killed off, and can no longer trust Wrianin after his killing of Narcis. Not entirely fair, since Narcis was coming after them, but Flute has a small Friend to All Living Things complex.
- The Brute: Ah, Wesley...
- Calling the Old Man Out: Amethyst to her father, who is thrilled to the Dickens that his daughter is being sent into the Hunger Games.
- Catch Phrase: Roe has "Umm... yeah."
- Child Soldiers: Wrianin was one, of the somewhat-less-creepy voluntary sort.
- Children Forced To Kill: In the Hunger Games.
- Cloudcuckoo Lander: Roe.
- Consummate Liar: Ever Blossom is a very good liar.
- Cradling Your Kill: Eulkichu does this to To, in a more creepy, peverse fashion as opposed to emotional.
- Wesley to Baylyn as well.
- Creepy Child: Fawn Kierton, good gosh!
- Cruel and Unusual Death: The Gamemakers sent Kiteriin insane. She proceeded to saw her wrist open with her own fingernails.
- Disha's face is melted off by acid.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Wesley is quite formidable, but usually only gets to show his strength against much younger, weaker opponents.
- Damsel in Distress: Baylyn pretty much has to be babysat after Wesley smashes her ribs in.
- Deadpan Snarker: Euliptia. She's none too nice about it, either.
- Deadly Game: The Hunger Games again.
- Disappeared Dad: Wrianin's father is dead in Starvation 1. In Starvation 3, so is Leo's father.
- Driven to Suicide: Mikki, and later Kiteriin.
- Dumb Muscle: Welsey.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: All victors, although Wrianin may take the prize.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Roe Tamden became this for a good fraction of the Starvation 2 readers.
- Five-Finger Discount: Daphine likes to steal stuff, although she refers to it as "discount shopping".
- Five-Man Band: Wrianin's group.
- Freak Out: Aria after her District partner attacks her and she kills him.
- Genki Girl: Lavendess' friend Emmi.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Subverted. Heroes are no more or likely to wield swords than villains are.
- Heroic BSOD: Baylyn goes through a brief one after Adrian dies.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Wrianin tries one. Jiminiy stops him.
- Ill Girl: Lavendess' friend Allae.
- Word of God says she has cancer, and that it's actually entirely possible to diagnose and cure in the Capitol. Just not the Districts, because who cares about giving them medical care?
- Infant Immortality: Subverted. The younger kids are just as, if not more, likely to bite the dust than those in their upper teens.
- Ironic Nursery Tune: One accompanies Mikki's suicide.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Euliptia.
- Kick the Dog: The series kicks dogs like Beckham kicks soccer balls.
- Killed Off for Real: Twenty-three tributes every year.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Although most try valiantly to avoid this.
- La Résistance: Wrianin fought in the rebellion.
- The Load: Baylyn after her injury. Not that Adrian minds.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Loners Are Freaks: Subverted. Anastasia assumes Caspar is dangerous because he has no friends, but it turns out he's just painfully shy.
- Loveable Rogue: Daphine Ryte is both a thief and an arsonist, but she's a pretty nice girl, overall.
- Madness Mantra: "I'm a killer." Aria says this a lot after she murders her District partner.
- The Millstone: Roe. She can't even bring herself to save Caspian's life, which might have vindicated her.
- Never a Self-Made Woman: Erasaziel's fervent denial that she was chosen as an announced because her cousin is the president is a little suspicious. Despite this, the trope is subverted, as the cousin in question is also female.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Some of Wesley's more philosophical musings tend toward this.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Wesley deals one to Baylyn.
- One-Scene Wonder: A few of them.
- Original Character: Twenty-four tribute every year, and then extras. Lots of original characters.
- The Pollyanna: Kaden, employing copious amounts of Think Happy Thoughts.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: Inverted. Lance only rbeaks out of his post-reaping catatonia when Ribbon kisses him.
- Prematurely Bald: Drai Brister.
- Rape as Backstory: Tatum's backstory is mostly being raped and having a son.
- Really Gets Around: Anastasia in her past, although she's has a steady boyfriend when she is introduced.
- Ship Tease: Quite a bit between Adrian and Baylyn. Word of God states that they can't kiss or announce anything due to the Starvation stories not being Alternate Universe Fics, but they are in fact a couple.
- Shout-Out: Word of God says that the names of Lance's sisters, Magpie and Whisper, are a Shout-Out to the Faeries of Dreamdark series.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: February and Mars.
- The Snark Knight: Disha and Narcis. Mocking the idocy of their team is one of their very favorite things to do.
- Sticky Fingers: Daphine.
- Switching P.O.V.
- Tears of Remorse: Pop up understandably often.
- Teens Are Monsters: Some of them are just a liiiiiiiiiiittle too comfortable about the whole thing.
- The Nicknamer: Wrianin.
- There Can Only Be One: victor of the Hunger Games.
- Tykebomb: President Hellwick's personal guard is made entirely of tykebombs.
- Token Evil Teammate: Drai to Wrianin's gang. Possibly Narcis and Disha as well, although YMMV.
- Too Dumb to Live: Roe has to be in the running for Most Triumphant Example.
- True Companions: Wrianin's gang in Starvation 1. Well, most of them.
- Two First Names: Ever Blossom Drey.
- Unnamed Parent: Most of them. With twenty four tribute every time around, it simply isn't practical.
- Was It Really Worth It?: Winning the Hunger Games is an excellent example of this.
- Write Who You Know: Kaden's aunt Clara is based off one of author's friends.
- Similarly, Roe is based off of a classmate.