The Pendragon Legend (A Pendragon legenda
) is a novel written by Hungarian author Antal Szerb. It begins with Bátky János
getting an invitation from the Earl of Gwynedd, Owen Pendragon to a Welsh castle, to study the wast library of the family. As expected
, the peaceful scholar is mixed up in mysterious events all surrounding legends about the Pendragon family, especially those to do with Asaph Christian, alchemist and member of the rosicrucian movement.//
Full of humour, affectionate parodies
, hints on culture
, and a generally easy and breezy style.
- Affectionate Parody: If we'd try to list everything and everyone this novel has an affectionate parody of, we'd be here all day.
- Author Avatar: Bátky.
- Death by Sex: Shortly after their second time together with Bátky, Eileen is killed.
- Dumb Muscle: Mallory appears to be this- adventurous, athletic, prone to tall tales, but not very book-wise. Turns out he's more Obfuscating Stupidity.
- Femme Fatale: Eileen St. Claire.
- Genius Bonus: Several, including hints on the culture of the British Isles and Hungary as well. To say nothing about secret orgaizations like the Freemasons...