Path of the Warrior
is the first book in the Warhammer 40,000 Path of the Eldar
trilogy by Gav Thorpe.
The ancient Eldar are a mysterious race, each devoting their life to a chosen path which will guide their actions and decide their fate. Korlandril abandons peace for the Path of the Warrior. He becomes a Striking Scorpion, a deadly fighter skilled in the art of close-quarter combat. But the further Korlandril travels down this path, the closer he gets to losing his identity and becoming an avatar of war.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Wraithbone. Key ingredient for Eldar Empathic hardware and software.
- Bad Ass: EVERY Aspect Warrior. Making them all a-
- Bad Ass Army
- Emotions Versus Stoicism: A key component of Eldar society is ALTERNATING between the two. Seeking emotional fullfillment in a careful structured, measured way. All to avoid a Fate Worse than Death at the tendrils of She Who Thirsts.
- Empathic Weapon: Every piece of Aspect Warrior equipment works this way. More specifically, Chainswords and Shuriken Pistols.
- Emotion Suppression: How Eldar deal with the 'darker' emotions. Developing an entire Split Personality housed in a 'war-mask'. Through this, they vent their wrath against the Eldar's enemies, leaving the rest trapped within the war-mask when there is no fighting to be had. Bonus points for the implication that which sort of Aspect Warrior a given eldar becomes is heavily dependent on which dark emotions they're feeling at the time.
- Empathic Environment: Pretty much all of Alaitoc. But bonus points for special areas that are designed with this component to a specific end.
- Empathic Healer: How Those who walk The Path of The Healer do their stuff.
- Energy Being: The way Phoenix Lord Karandras insides are describes makes it pretty clear he is one.
- Fore Shadowing: A great deal of early conversations. take on a new light once Korlandril becomes an Exarch, and later, the Phoenix Lord Karandras.
- Hero of Another Story: Thirianna and Aradryan each have a book dedicated to their perspective of events within the Trilogy. In Path of the Warrior specifically though, both Arhulesh and Becareth have enough backstory given to also qualify.
- Hot-Blooded: Some Exarchs come across as such. The Fire Dragons are specifically noted for their energetic nature and temperament.
- Love Hurts: Korlandril certainly is fond of Thirianna. This is what ultimately leads him to the Warrior Path.
- Mind over Matter: Mind bullets via Shuriken Weaponry. And pretty much all other projectile weaponry the Eldar use for that matter.
- Oh Crap: The reaction from the main character when. Imperial Space Marines touch down in the Alaitoc warzone.
- The Power of Love: Subverted. Although thoughts of Thirianna seem to help him at key points on the Path of the Warrior. ultiimately Korlandril becomes lost on the Path. Even past that point, his last thoughts towards her are angry and hateful.
- Training from Hell: pretty leightweight example for Warhammer 40K. But from Korlandril's perspective, it certainly is.