The Only One I Trust
aka: The Only One I Can Trust
Scully: Mulder, you're the only one I trust.
Then you're gonna have to trust me.
Alice is in a difficult situation: perhaps she's chased by the cops, or maybe she has a secret she cannot let out. She thinks she's completely alone against the world, but wait. Bob is there, and he's the only one Alice can rely on.
Discovering that there is only one trustworthy person remaining is a difficult moment. This is typically exploited to emphasize the sense of danger. That, and to build suspense around just whether that trust will be justified.
If the trust is justified, then it's probably directed to the Secret Keeper
, The Consigliere
, The Lancer
(or The Dragon
) or the Only Sane Man
. When the person you thought you can trust betrays you, it slips into Et Tu, Brute?
. See also The Power Of Trust
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
Live Action TV
- In The X-Files, this is turned Up to Eleven. One of the taglines for the show is "Trustno1." Mulder and Scully make it clear often that they only trust each other and unfailingly.
- Played straight and subverted numerous times in 24:
- In an early episode of the fourth season, Jack and Audrey Raines are caught in a building surrounded by Marwan Habib's thugs, who have already murdered all the staff in the offices. Jack pulls out a phone and tells Audrey that he's calling "the only person I can trust" - nine minutes later, Jack and Audrey are saved from certain death when Tony Almeida arrives to rescue them from the building's parking garage.
- Jack references Chloe being his main (and only) tech support throughout the later seasons (especially when he's hiding out after he fakes his death in season 4), and later comments during the season finale that "I never thought you'd have my back all these years."
- Whenever Jack says, "You are our only [hope/evidence], I promise you can trust me," whoever he says this to dies shortly after (sometimes in the same episode).
- In the White Collar episode "Vital Signs", a drugged Neal tells Peter, "You're the only one I trust."
- When Inspector Lynley's wife Helen is critically injured in a car accident, Lynley asks his partner Barbara Havers to stand watch outside her hospital door - and though he takes his anger out on her when she has to, of all things, use the loo, he tells her later that he's terribly sorry, and that she is the only one he trusts to do the job properly.
- In Due South, Ray Kowalski spends an episode accused of murder. Worse, a concussion clouds his memory, leaving him doubting his own innocence. His partner Fraser refuses to doubt him. Meaning that when Ray can't even trust himself, there's always Fraser.
- Dancing on the Edge: When his friends start turning on him after he is framed for murder, Louis goes straight to Stanley. His trust is, thankfully, completely justified.
- Wheatley was always there for Chell in Portal 2. Until his Face-Heel Turn.
- In Kingdom Hearts, Organization XIII member Lexaeus says this about Zexion, as detailed in his secret journal entry in Days. The two, through their interactions, would seem to be Heterosexual Life-Partners and Lexaeus seems to be loyal enough to Zexion that he could be considered Zexion's Dragon for Riku's portion of Chain of Memories.
- In Soulcalibur V, we see Pyrrha Alexandria say almost this exact phrase to someone after her recently rediscovered brother Patroklos threatened her with his sword and fled after she saves his life from Nightmarenote . Who does she trust in this time of emotional turmoil? Tira.