The Needle Drop is a web and radio based review show hosted by Anthony Fantano with various cameos by his bizarre roommate Cal Chuchesta. The music he reviews is usually more of indie and underground fare with the occasional bigger name slipping in either because of popular demand or relatively high critical acclaim. The show is highly popular on 4chan's music board, partially due to the fact Anthony also is a /mu/tant
channel can be found here
This show provides examples of:
- Accent On The Wrong Syllable: A frequent habit of Cal's, along with Mondegreens.
- Adorkable: Anthony when he gets excited.
- Alter Ego Acting: Cal Chuchesta constitutes the Type 1 variety.
- Ascended Fanboy: Anthony works in radio and is an NPR contributor.
- Berserk Button: Steven Wilson fans pushed it after his review of The Raven That Refused To Sing. Also, Childish Gambino seemed to push it in his lyrics on his Camp album, which got one of the lowest scores Anthony's ever given.
- Broken Record: Some of the edits thrown in each video.
- Brown Note: The cover of ''Born That Way'' causes Anthony and Cal to throw up.
- Amusingly, Cal then chose Born This Way as one of his favorites albums of 2011 (so far), and when called out by Anthony on the fact that it made them throw up, he replied by stating that it was the most fun he'd had throwing up all year.
- Catch Phrase: "Anthony Fantano here, the Internet's busiest music nerd."
- Caustic Critic: Averted as he tends to be quite calm and collected even with music he dislikes, managing to point out its strengths as well as its flaws. That said, he usually avoids the other extreme, Gushing About Shows You Like, giving a balanced look into both the strengths and weaknesses of the albums he reviews.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Once again, Cal.
- Couch Gag: The tree.
- Department of Redundancy Department: In his video debating messages in music, Anthony asks the audience "And what about people who're in my position? In every review, do I have to throw in a footnote that says 'Anthony Fantano does not necessarily agree with the ideology of the artist he is currently reviewing in this review?'"
- Early-Installment Weirdness: His pre-2010-to-2011 videos, recorded with much more meager means, don't feature Cal, and are recorded against a black background instead of in front of his apartment walls as they are in later videos.
- Gentle Giant: Despite his very buff and intimidating appearance, he's a vegan and known for his very kind, calm, and Adorkable demeanor.
- Fan Vid: There are a few odd remixes of reviews and livestreams.
- Large Ham: Scott Stapp, apparently.
- Mondegreen: Cal with lyrics and names.
- One of Us: Anthony frequents /mu/ and a persionified version of /mu/ appears in the review of ''The King of Limbs'', as well as Take Care, Take Care, Take Care and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven.
- Overly-Long Gag: His review of ''Gold Cobra'' basically consists of Anthony eating food.
- Sound Effect Bleep: Anthony usually bleeps himself out when he swears, although this is subverted in his review of David Comes to Life note , and drops the F word in the Couch Gag before the review starts.
- Actually, when Anthony first started his reviews he was not averse to swearing, then sometime in 2010 he started censoring any curse words that popped up, and as of 2012, he does let the occasional "goddamn" or even the occasional "fuck" slip out without censoring it.
- Surreal Humor: His editing gags, Cal's segments, and the tree.
- Stylistic Suck: Cal's reviews are very poorly done. Of course, that's what makes them hilarious.
- Word of God: Anything reviewed for Classics Week is a 10/10.