is usually for the theatre
, but occasionally
some productions are either filmed specifically for Live-Action TV
, or Theatrical Productions
are recorded so that the general populace can enjoy them.ITV
is no exception. Just before the Turn of the Millennium
they decided to record a production of "Jack And The Beanstalk
" written by Simon Nye, the writer behind Men Behaving Badly
. It did very well in the ratings, and three more production were recorded, the last in 2002. ITV now shows the repeats as a regular feature over the festive period
The productions, listed by year of broadcast, are as follows:
Examples of tropes in these productions include:
Jack & the Beanstalk
- Acting Unnatural: Abernazer does this when he tries to mingle with the crowd, even going "Mingle, mingle, mingle".
- Actor Allusion:
- The Cameo: S Club 7 show up to sing one of their songs.
- Don't forget Leslie Phillips!
- Chase Scene: Aladdin and the cops get into one of these when he talks to a princess without a license. They do stop half-way through for a breather...
- Don't Try This at Home: The Princess tells Abernazer she'd rather stick pins in her eyes than marry him. Both of them then tell the audience they really shouldn't do that.
- Dreadful Musician: Quite literally; if you have a love song, it helps to have at least one of your main leads can hold a tune...
- Everyone Calls Him : The Princess' name isn't actually mentioned, a fact that Aladdin lampshades a few times.
- Going Commando: Abernazer, apparently.
- History Marches On: Out of the suitable princes for the princess, two are Prince Charlie and Prince Tony.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: The Princess.
- Inept Genie In A Ring: He can magic up an omelette...
- Insistent Terminology: It's "Abernazer", not "a banana"!
- Love at First Sight: Aladdin and the Princess
- Padding: The two genies make a cake and, well...
- Police Brutality: The Police Chief really, really wants to rough up... well, anyone, really.
- Punny Name:
- Handy, the Princess' hand maiden and Wishee-Washee
- The Unfavourite: Wishee-Washee. It's doesn't help he's a cloudcuckoolander
- What Happened to the Mouse?: When Aladdin, his family and the Emperor show up, they mention how they got there by Hertz Carpets... in spite of the fact that Aladdin still had the magic ring.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Aladdin tries the old Open Sesame trick. When that doesn't work, he turns to the audience and says "Wrong panto!"
- You Fool!: Abernazer says this when the Princess hands him Aladdin's lamp.