The Heartbreak Kid
is a 2007 romantic comedy starring Ben Stiller and Malin Akerman. It is a remake of the 1972 film of the same name. Nothing to do with Shawn "The Heartbreak Kid" Michaels
This film has examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Lila becomes this to Eddie.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Lila, who doesn't reveal her myriad of annoying habits, mood swings, and oddities until after the wedding.
- Bratty Half-Pint: The twins who accuse Eddie of being gay and later start a rumor that his wife was killed by an ice-pick murderer.
- The Brute: Martin.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Lila.
- Country Matters: Lila calls Eddie this when he tries to treat her sunburn.
- Cringe Comedy
- Dirty Old Man: Eddie's father, played by Jerry Stiller. He has an obsession with "crushing pussy" and even suggests that he and Eddie go to Vegas together to tag-team women.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male
- Downer Ending /Here We Go Again
- Fanservice: Lila naked.
- Gag Boobs: The woman with Eddie's father in Vegas has these.
- Hero Antagonist: Martin, Miranda's cousin. He's a belligerent and short-tempered Jerk Ass, but has more moral fiber than Eddie.
- Henpecked Husband: Mac.
- Hope Spot: When Miranda looks out the window to watch Eddie leave near the end of the film. Naturally, he screws it up again.
- Humiliation Conga: The man-o-war scene near the end.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Martin. He's pretty unlikable personality-wise, but he has Miranda's best interests in mind.
- Karma Houdini: Both Lila and Eddie fall under this category.
- Knight Templar Cousin: Martin, although it's somewhat justified.
- Papa Wolf: Eddie's father when Martin attacks him with a baseball bat.
- Psychopathic Woman Child: Lila. Among other things, she refuses to wear sunblock in Mexico and then accuses Eddie of "siding with the ozone" when she gets a horrific sunburn.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: The hobo who Eddie thought was deaf-mute gives him one when he [Eddie] won't stop obsessing over Miranda.
- Red-and-White Comedy Poster
- Real-Life Relative: Jerry Stiller and Ben Stiller.
- Running Gag: The increasingly annoying mariachi band that always shows up at the worst times.
- Stalker with a Crush: Eddie is this to Miranda near the end.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Eddie is pretty level-headed at first, but goes into full-on psycho stalker mode by the end of the film.
- Not to mention that he spends his honeymoon trying to cheat on his new bride. Yeah, she's a complete psycho, but still...