open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Played for laughs in Strangers in Paradise during a sex scene between Chuck and Rachel. Chuck's grinding away while Rachel lies there bored.
- The second volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has a sex scene between Mina Harker and Allan Quartermain which shows him grunting a bit. Mina also seems to be having a immodest orgasm as she wails.
- The sex scene between Barry and Claudette in issue 2 of Friday The13th Pamelas Tale:
Barry: YEAH, BABY! UHNNNN! TAKE IT!Claudette: OH, BARRY! OH! OH MY GOD! AAAAAAHH!
- Billy Bob Thorton in Monster's Ball. NSFW.
- Bruce Willis in Color of Night.
- David Abbott in Crawlspace
- Michael Douglas in Basic Instinct
- Tony Leung in The Lover
- Almost all the male characters in Waiting to Exhale.
- Jensen Ackles in a wonderful scene in the movie Devour. Did I mention the scene is wonderful?
- Sean William Scott in Road Trip, due to a very... special medical inspection.
- Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda, accompanied by an extremely goofy smile.
- Parodied by Christian Slater in Pump Up the Volume.
- In Munich the main character does a silent version while having sex with his wife, but since he's having flashbacks to earlier events in the movie it's not especially sexy and comes off as more disturbing.
- Done up to eleven by the eponymous lead in MacGruber. The main character's expressions during sex are a piggish, and rather disturbing series of odd grunts.
- Bernie(William H. Macy) in The Cooler.
- Forty Shades of Blue has one with Michael James (Darren Burrows) while doing it with Laura (Dina Korzun).
- The Center of the World has Richard Longman (Peter Sarsgaard) doing it with Florence (Molly Parker) by the end of the movie with this trope.
- In Baby Boy, during Jody and Yvette's sex scene, his orgasm is a few soft grunts compared to her almost bringing the roof down.
- The first Levottomat film (a series of sex-related dramas out of Norway) inverts this slightly with a scene that begins just as a guy climaxes; he's virtually silent about it, but the woman lets out a single grunt instead.
- In Frida, we have a rare scene in which the woman is dominant and the the man is making the noises. Kahlo's first boyfriend grunts loudly and nearly screams as they have sex in a closet during a house party, so she has to cover his mouth.
- The Young Monk in Spring, Summer, Fall, Winterů and Spring when he loses his virginity to The Girl.
Live Action TV
- On one episode of Frasier, Lilith and Frasier happen to both go to the same summer weekend retreat with their dates. Believing that Lilith is having sex in the next room, Frasier starts leaping up and down on his bed making certain noises. He takes the silence he's met with as a sign that Lilith is enjoying herself even more. In reality, she's out having a stroll, and she walks in as he's getting into it. To add to his embarrassment, his girlfriend walks in, too.
- Several years ago, Saturday Night Live did a parody of the Herbal Essences commercials, with "Herbal Essences" for men. A bunch of men in a court room, washing their hair, and making grunting noises.Here is a newer version of this...
- A comedian once said a woman's orgasm sounds like she's climbing stairs ("pant, pant, gasp, pant..."), whereas a man's orgasm sounds like he's falling down stairs ("Oh shi-ooh-ah-erg-ah...")
- Two short instances in Glee features the character Finn do this TWICE, each time VERY noticeable to the audience by his expression and his grunts and groans. This, however, isn't as big as other examples, usually just down to a couple of "oh"s and finally a grunt when he unsuccessfully tries to stop it.
- Male characters orgasming in The Tudors tend to do this a lot.
- Done many, many times in Game of Thrones (Tyrion Lannister is introduced during one), and one of Theon Greyjoy's makes him look like he is being electrocuted.
- Trevor from MTV's Pets does this often while doing his favourite activity.
- Done various times in the short lived softcore series Nightcap.
- Frank in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia gets his own entire gratuitous sex scene in Lethal Weapon 5 (as his demand for funding the movie). No one else enjoyed that scene.
- Parodied by Eminem in a skit on The Slim Shady LP.
- Such grunts form a (ridiculous) part of the intro to Elastica's "Line Up". (It's a song about groupies, so it's totally appropriate, guys)
- "Hot Shot", by Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, could be read as some hammering Wham, a strangled Bam, and a very perfunctory Thank You Ma'am.
- Heard in Rammstein's "Rein Raus"
- Menage A 3: Male responses in the comic's numerous sex scenes vary, but some occasionally make some noise. Notably, Gary's first time involves a very audible "virginnnnGhhggnnn", to Kiley's bemusement. (Strip #539, December 15, 2011, NSFW.)
- Sandra on the Rocks: Pierre's first time with Sandra produces some fairly restrained but audible moans of "Oh Sandra". What neither of them know, unfortunately, is that they have witnesses at that moment — and Eloise isn't going to take this scene well.
- Subverted in the "Thanksgiving" episode of The Damn Few. Sealy's (off-screen) falsetto barks and squeals top out in an ecstatic, "mmmmmmmI'matopsecretNavySEAL!!!!!"
- Subverted by The Nostalgia Critic. Whenever he reenacts an orgasm (and trust us, he's done it a lot), there's no grunts involved, just high-pitched gasping and squealing. But then the character is pretty girly anyway.
- From the video Shrek is love, Shrek is life: he roars a mighty roar as he was filling my butt with love
- Parodied in the episode "Altruists" of The Ren & Stimpy Show Adult Party Cartoon, a scene of sawing a log is INCREDIBLY heavily implied to represent a homosexual sex scene, complete with begging and and a very joyous Grunting Orgasm from Stimpy. See it for yourself (NSFW, obviously).
- Cleveland in Family Guy. "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH-and boom goes the dynamite."
- Brock Sampson in The Venture Bros., as his old college roommate Rusty can attest.