is an Australian Horror OEL Manga
trilogy by Queenie Chan.
The story begins with twin sisters, Amber and Jeannie Malkin, starting at Greenwich Private College, a boarding school in the remote Australian bush with a mysterious history of many missing students. The twins have horrible and weird nightmares and strange things begin to happen in the school, while soon another student vanishes. Needless to say, it gets worse from there.
Not to be confused with the spin-off of The Sandman
This series provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Mostly true, although Ms. Anu helps the twins figure the mystery out and helps evacuates the surviving students at the end.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Mrs Skeener, and very nearly Jeannie.
- Axe Crazy: Mrs Skeener, towards the end.
- Bittersweet Ending: Although the reader is left to draw their own conclusions about things, Mrs Skeener's sister may still be possessing Amber's body right at the end.
- The Blank: The Headmistress is depicted as faceless in many of the paintings.
- Boarding School of Horrors: The surrounding bush is haunted by mythical beings called Quinkans. They have snatched 12 students in the past and are working on their next dozen...
- Buried Alive: Avril Merriweather did this to some of her students- but would let them out. This is how Mrs. Skeener also died in Vol 3.
- Connect the Deaths
- Creepy Housekeeper: Variation on the theme - in this case, the creepy Mrs. Skeener is the Vice Principle, not a house keeper.
- Demonic Possession: Of the abducted ... including Jeanie. Too bad she wasn't a smoker, that would have helped.
- Don't Go in the Woods: We mean it. Not a good idea.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Implied that this is what happened to the lost girls...
- A Fête Worse Than Death: Happens to young Mrs. Skeener and her sister when they first arrive at the School
- Haunted House: In as much as ghosts keep visiting.
- Oh and don't forget the Haunted Cupboard where the spirit of an overworked manga artist dwells (give me Mountain Dew ...)
- Kill the Cutie: Quite a few of them.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Bit of this for Amber in the end.
- Living Shadow: The Quinkan appeared to be this.
- Locked Door: You know, that one room with the spooky picture of a lady hanging on the door?
- Mind-Control Eyes: Amber gets bold black outlines of her eyes whenever she is possessed.
- Mind Screw: The ending.
- Mirror Scare:
- Nightmare Fuel: It is a horror manga after all.
- Of Corsets Sexy: The Victorian dresses in the manga are modestly so.
- Old Dark House
- Polar Opposite Twins: Subtly so - Amber and Jeanie don't have a whole lot in common and aren't very close. In the end they both go their separate ways.
- Rain of Blood: Subverted, it's not human blood- it's tree sap!
- Sadist Teacher: Avril Merriweather.
- She Who Must Not Be Named - Warning: Saying the name of 'certain' disappeared residents of the School while gazing into a mirror may be hazardous to your health.
- Spooky Painting: The school is filled with them.
- There Are No Adults: This happened to Mrs. Skeener & her twin when the school first opened.
- There Are No Therapists: Subverted. Not that their presence did a lot of good for them of course.
- Uncanny Valley: Sometimes the characters actally approach this level. Queenie Chan gets a little "too good" in her artistry.
- Weirdness Magnet: Amber is arguably one of these.
- Woobie: You'll never guess who.
- Mrs. Skeener when her back-story is revealed. Helps that she looks far prettier in her younger days.