The Anatomy of a Fall is a novel-length Real Person Fic
by Novembersmith about the epic high school paranormal romance of Gerard Way and Frank Iero.
It primarily uses characters from band My Chemical Romance
, as well as secondary characters from bands Fall Out Boy
and Panic! at the Disco
, and a number of OCs. Author's summary says "The unholy union of a high school AU and a ghost story. Gerard's life takes a strange turn when his family moves to a small town in Vermont and he discovers the locals aren't all what they seem to be. Also includes: unexpected nature walks, murder, pining, improper treatment of crime scenes, a number of bone-related puns, high school bullies, and a short-range shrub named Ferdinand."
The work can be found at http://archiveofourown.org/works/155168/chapters/223138
This work contains examples of:
- Blatant Lies: Not that Patrick's aware of it when he says it, but there's definitely an killer-adult contingent in town.
: Anyway, besides the occasional escape attempt by Mc Ewan
’s cattle, there’s really nothing that exciting about the townfolk, promise. No serial killers or Satanists or anything.
- Emo Teen: ...there might be a few.
- Gayngst: Which is replaced later on by Gayngst, ghost edition.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Gerard towards Frank. It gets less and less convincing as time wears on, and is completely subverted by the end of the fic.
- Heel-Face Turn: Ted Sikowski, of all people.
- High School AU: Gerard is in his last year of High School, and Frank died in his last year.
- May-December Romance / Mayfly-December Romance: Frank is significantly (ten years, approximately) older than Gerard, though with the appearance of being the same age. Being a ghost his "life"span is implied to be much longer than that of a human.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: They can even smoke.
- Late Arrival Spoiler: Yeah, this is the fic where Frank Iero is a ghost love interest for Gerard Way. Moving on.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The guys Gerard ends up hanging out with at his new school.
- The Reveal: It takes a while for Gee to figure out that Frankie isn't exactly a normal High School Student
- Sadist Teacher: Gym teacher Mark Sikowski really, really doesn't like Gerard, and really, really didn't like Frank either. Gerards attitudes toward many of the other teachers are also generally unsympathetic.
- Ship Tease: Gerard mentions, in passing, spending a lot of time keeping his friend Pete (Wentz) from trying to pounce on his other friend, Patrick (Stump), in the hospital.
- Shout-Out: To a ton of famous comic books/graphic novels, in passing.
- Slash Fic
- Stalker with a Crush: Ryan Ross. A rare, helpful variant in that he realizes Gerard's gone missing before most of his friends.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: There appears to be no non-bigoted, non-hate-crime-committing (or murdering) parents in the general area, so it makes sense that the teenagers in Gerard's new hometown would be just as bigoted and violent. Turns out Mark Sikowski is also an example, as he murdered Frank in his youth.