aka: Droopy Eyes
A style in Anime
of drawing eyes where they droop or sag. It is the usual way a Moe
character will have those definitive, sympathy-magnetic Puppy-Dog Eyes
. It generally represents a kind, quiet, sad, fragile or otherwise soft person. Only really notable if there are more than a handful of characters that are drawn without
This does not, however, mean that Tareme Eyes are Always Lawful Good Eyes
. In real life, eyes visually take a downward droop when someone is looking down on you
, and looking calm in a tense situation
is an affirmatively Badass
Note that the "me" in "tareme" actually means "eyes" in Japanese. We just enjoy being redundant.
Its opposite is Tsurime Eyes
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- (Shown above) Tsukasa Hiiragi, from Lucky Star. Interestingly, her diametrically different twin sister, Kagami, is a good example of Tsurime Eyes. Miyuki, Hiyori, and almost every other character in the Lucky Star cast are also Tareme.
- In the earlier manga episodes, Konata was Tareme.
- Mikuru Asahina, the Moe Blob of Suzumiya Haruhi.
- Alt!Yuki from The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, unlike the regular Yuki Nagato.
- No small number of characters from CLAMP works, due to the overwhelming amount of kind-hearted, gentle characters.
- Haruka Nogizaka, (who looks suspiciously similar to Mikuru) the main (and very moe) character of Nogizaka Haruka No Himitsu.
- Orihime Inoue, the healer from Bleach. Also, Ururu, Retsu, Momo, and Hanataro. Subverted by Yachiru and lovable Captain Aizen pre-reveal.
- Subverted with Sayoko of Ah! My Goddess: she sports Tareme, but she's not all that nice.
- Tsubaki, the ever patient weapon of Soul Eater.
- Also Chrona, the Woobie.
- Team Mom Marie has one of these. And an anti-madness wavelength.
- Saya from Blood+.
- Mikan Sakura, the Cloud Cuckoo Lander of Gakuen Alice.
- In Fairy Tail, Natsu Dragneel and Gray Fullbuster make a point of insulting each other with names derived by the others' eye shape. Gray is Tareme while Natsu is Tsurime. "Droopy-eyed bastard!!"
- Osaka, the Cloud Cuckoolander from Azumanga Daioh. She also has the same seiyuu as fellow cuckoolander Orihime above.
- Tsumugi Kotobuki and the Hirasawa sisters of K-On!
- Yugi Muto of Yu-Gi-Oh!. (Unlike the pharaoh who has Tsurime Eyes)
- Kanako Oora and Shouko Maruuchi from Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei has these kinda eyes.
- Himeko Kurusegawa of Kannazuki no Miko, who is countered by Chikane's Tsurime Eyes. Both are used more liberally in the mangas.
- Male Example: Takeru from Digimon Adventure 01. His brother, Yamato, on the other hand...
- Rena, Hanyuu, Rika and Satoshi from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
- Miyo has the adult (i.e. smaller) variety, which gives her a somewhat spaced out expression. Hence the name "Droopy-tan."
- Most of these are massive subversions: Rena and Satoshi have both gone into murderous Ax Crazy freakouts, and Takano Miyo is actually the villain. However, they truly are very nice, and cute.. Even Miyo, to a point.
- In-universe, characters refer to Sanzo from Saiyuki as being droopy-eyed. This is important his character development, it belies his genuinely caring nature.
- Classic moe character Ami Mizuno◊/Sailor Mercury from Sailor Moon has a noticeable case, especially when compared to Rei◊, who has Tsurime Eyes and tsundere tendencies.
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - Male examples: Tsuna, Basil, Ginger Bread, and Fuuta. Female examples: Kyoko, Haru, Chrome, Nana (Tsuna's mother), and Uni.
- Fullmetal Alchemist's Alphonse Elric. Well, when he was human at least.
- He eventually does get his body back, cute puppy-dog eyes and all.
- Used for the effect of Good Eyes, Evil Eyes in the case of Selim Bradley. He has these eyes originally, but gains Tsurime Eyes when his true form, as the homunculus Pride, is revealed.
- A lot of characters in Mahou Sensei Negima!, especially Konoka and Sayo.
- Lucy's more innocent "Nyu" personality and Nana have these in Elfen Lied. Subverted with Creepy Child Mariko though.
- Yui from Angel Beats! is the only female character that you see regularly with tareme eyes.
- The bassist and drummer of GDM have them also, but they get very little screen time comparatively.
- Ryoko from Aoi Hana has them, likely to underline her well-natured, motherly persona.
- The eponymous character of Hikaru no Go has this kind of eyes, in contrast to his rival Akira's Tsurime Eyes. It serves to underscore his easygoing nature as opposed to Akira's seriousness, at least early on.
- Yura from Futari Ecchi has Tareme eyes, which she inherited (together with big boobs) from her mother, unlike her younger sister Rika.
- Asuka from Future GPX Cyber Formula, contrasting Miki's Tsurime Eyes.
- Pre-Time Skip Simon in Gurren Lagann, which only contribute to his downright adorable smile.
- Finland in Axis Powers Hetalia, compared to the other Nordics, except for possibly Denmark.
- Liechtenstein as well.
- North Italy, in the rare times that he actually opens his eyes.
- America also has this, apparently inherited from Finland.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica has both the best friends Madoka and Sayaka. Also Moemura, until third timeline.
- Fran from Franken Fran. Honestly, you don't expect someone with those kind of distant, sleepy eyes to be capable of the things she's done.
- Outer Moka from Rosario + Vampire sports these, as opposed to Inner Moka.
- Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran: Used with the cute Meow.
- An interesting example from Get Backers; cheerful, affectionate Ginji Amano has wide, bright tareme, in contrast to his partner Ban's Tsurime. But when Ginji's Lightning Emperor persona awakens, his eyes become narrow, dark, and markedly Tsurime.
- Windaria Marie's eyes are noticably rounder and more down pointed than Veronica's or Selenia's.
- In The World God Only Knows, Keima mentions these as one of the reasons the heroine from a galge is his soul mate.
- The Son males (Goku, Gohan and Goten) from Dragon Ball Z sport this eyes, a show that they're the nicest people around. When they get pissed though (And consequentially transform into Super Saiyans) their eyes change into a pupilless Tsurime.
- The Jekyll/Hyde esque character Launch gains tareme when she sneezes into her blue-haired good girl personality.
- Pokémon Special has Diamond of the DP trio.
- Several characters in Heaven's Lost Property feature these type of eyes, most notably Chaos. However she does not follow the typical archetype. Atleast not at first.
- Black Butler: A few characters have these, such as Viscount Druitt and Angela the maid. Both of these examples are villains, though Druitt is less dangerous than Angela...
- A very simplified version appears in Anpanman. Tamagodonman, one of the youngest donburi characters, and Katsudonman's younger brother, evokes this through his eyes (which for the donburi characters are commonly round circles with pupils) being shaped like ovals that droop downwards. He's a very shy and nervous character, commonly looking downward and figeting with his shirt while rocking back and forth. He's pretty insecure about his cooking abilities and the overall quality of his donburi, contrasting with the personality of his older brother.
- Horrendously played with in Black Lagoon with Hansel and Gretel. Cute, Moe little boy and girl in elegant Gothic Lolita clothes... who will murder the shit out of you if you're lucky, smiling serenely all the way.
- Many young characters in the Dept Heaven series have eyes drawn like this, although it's restricted to the very young knights in Knights in the Nightmare (and Pisce).
- The title character of Um Jammer Lammy.
- The Touhou has Satori Komeiji, whose eyes are extremely droopy; enough to look at least half-closed. In the games, this actually serves to give her more of a bored look than a cute one (Her illustration in the Grimoire of Marisa plays it for cute, though).
- Crowe Brust from The 2nd Super Robot Wars Z.
- Miles "Tails" Prower, a friendly and mild-mannered young fox.
- Vert, CPU of Leanbox has these to mesh well with her mild-mannered personality, though it's also been said the reason her eyes are like that are due to countless hours on end spent on video games.
- Most of the girls in Duel Savior Destiny sport these kind of eyes with the obvious exception of Lily.