Talk Like A Pirate Day
September 19th be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, invented by Mark Summers and John Baur (or Captain Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket) of Albany, Oregon, and popularized via a column by Dave Barry. Basically, it's a day when one is supposed to talk (and dress, and act) like a pirate. Why? Because Pirates be cool, and because it be fun. Baur and Summers have written several books about how to talk like a pirate, as well as increasing one's "piratitude." Basically, the awesomest silly holiday ever invented. On rare occasions, such as in 2009, TLaPD and Rosh Hashanah be fallin' on the same day, and thus be merged into International Talk Like a Jewish Pirate Day. Oy, me mateys! The Jewish calendar be repeatin' every 19 years, so the next time this be happenin' will be 2028.
- Brief Accent Imitation: As people be tossin' in the random pirate bit.
- Pirate Tropes: Thar be too many to list, be gettin' yourself to the index.
- This webcomic be bringin' it up.
- Kingdom of Loathing be celebratin' this every year, with special monsters that be appearin' randomly and messages in chat bein' periodically changed to something more "piratey".
- In an otherwise unrelated episode of Arthur, "S.W.E.A.T.", Binky be talkin' like a pirate and says it's International Talk Like a Pirate Day. When he continues talking like a pirate the next day, Mr. Ratburn be tellin' him to knock it off.
- Tom Smith, who wrote the official Talk Like a Pirate Day chanty, also be havin' the Filk Song "Hey, It's Can(n)on!" which be statin' that Hermione Granger be havin' her birthday on September 19, and be goin' on to sing about Hermione as a Pirate Girl.
- Playing the modern version of Sid Meiers Pirates on September 19th be causin' everyone in the game, includin' governors and their comely daughters, to be speakin' like pirates.
- In Batman: Arrr-kham Knight, that scallywag Calendar Man gave an oath on the Eve o' the New Year t' only be causin' his mischief on lesser-known holidays that year. 'Twas on this day that he took the blade to some gent's leg an' affixed a wooden peg in its place, then made the cur walk the plank! He also tried infectin' someone else with scurvy, but they did no' take t' the sickness in time. He be keepin' them 'round fer next year.
- This very wiki be havin' a small logo change to celebrate.◊