September 19th be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, invented by Mark Summers and John Baur (or Captain Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket) of Albany, Oregon, and popularized via a column by Dave Barry
. Basically, it's a day when one is supposed to talk
, and act) like a pirate. Why? Because Pirates are cool, and because it's fun. Baur and Summers have written several books about how to talk like a pirate, as well as increasing one's "piratitude." Basically, the awesomest silly holiday ever invented.
On rare occasions, such as in 2009, TLaPD and Rosh Hashanah fall on the same day, and are thus merged into International Talk Like a Jewish Pirate Day. Oy, me mateys! The Jewish calendar repeats every 19 years, so the next time this will happen will be 2028.
- This webcomic brings it up.
- Kingdom of Loathing celebrates this every year, with special monsters appearing randomly and messages in chat being periodically changed to something more "piratey".
- In an otherwise unrelated episode of Arthur, "S.W.E.A.T.", Binky talks like a pirate and says it's International Talk Like a Pirate Day. When he continues talking like a pirate the next day, Mr. Ratburn talls him to knock it off.
- Tom Smith has the Filk Song "Hey, It's Can(n)on!" which states that Hermione Granger has her birthday on September 19, and goes on to sing about Hermione as a Pirate Girl.
- Playing the modern version of Sid Meiers Pirates on September 19th causes everyone in the game, including governors and their daughters, to speak like pirates.
- This very wiki has a small logo change to celebrate.◊