Star Wars: Union
is a four-issue comic book series written by Michael Stackpole
and illustrated by Robert Teranishi, set in the Star Wars Expanded Universe
, taking place shortly after the Hand of Thrawn
The impossible has, in fact, occurred: the Imperial Remnant
and the New Republic
have signed a peace treaty. Wait, sorry, that's not the impossible part. This is: Luke Skywalker proposed to Mara Jade
It's Wedding of the Century time.
And not everybody's happy about it. The press starts spinning scenarios about "a Jedi power-base to establish a Force Empire," the plans for a small intimate wedding were scuttled the moment Threepio got involved, Mara can't find a dress, she and Luke are both
having Bad Dreams
, and a splinter cell of Imperials figures this is the time to strike...
Han: On a scale of one to the Death Star? It's about...heck, kid, just elope.
C'mon. Did anybody really think this was going to go smoothly?
In addition to the inherent Star Wars
character and universe tropes, this series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Mara Jade.
- Bar Brawl: Luke's bachelor party, organized by Han and Wedge, is in a seedy tavern. The splinter cell sees this as a good chance to strike...when the entire room is either ex-smugglers, Jedi, military officers who earned it, or some combination thereof. Oops.
- Continuity Nod: All over the place:
- "That dream I had gave me a bad feeling—" "Don't say it."
- As Karrde and Booster discuss the good news, we see the Errant Venture beginning to get its bright red paint job, which is complete by Survivor's Quest.
- Cameos by Kam, Tionne, Wedge, Tycho, Wes, Hobbie, Corran, Mirax, Booster... the list goes on.
- Three Rogues sprung into action, showing that Rogues aren't only good at flying.
- As well as a completely nonsensical cameo by Empatojayos Brand, who by that point had been dead for 8 years.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Again, all over the place, with standouts including both weddings and Luke forgiving a attacker.
- Fanservice: The bathhouse scene. Pretty tasteful as fanservice goes.
- Happily Married: Luke and Mara. Also, we're reminded of the successes of Han and Leia and Corran and Mirax.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: The Imperial saboteurs.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Kam Solusar is clearly based on Bruce Willis.
- My Own Private "I Do": A private ceremony just for the Jedi, and a public one for the galaxy.
- Narm: Some of the romantic dialogue. It was written by Stackpole, so this is probably to be expected.
- Noodle Incident: Wes and Hobbie apparently did something with a champagne fountain at a different wedding.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Some of the possible ideas from Mara's fitting. The one Mara ends up with is on the reasonable side.