was a series of Star Wars Expanded Universe
comic books written by Mike Richardson and Randy Stradley. They were originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1997 and 1998 as a six-issue monthly series, which was later compiled and sold as a trade paperback. Its first sequel, Crimson Empire II: Council of Blood
, was released later in 1998 and 1999.
It is primarily acclaimed for the 12-page final duel between Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax. In late 2008, it was claimed that work on Crimson Empire III
, the second sequel to Crimson Empire
, would begin; Stradley later debunked this claim. At Celebration V it was announced that Crimson Empire III
would be released in 2011. It was finally finished in September 2012.
This comic contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Mirith Sinn.
- All There in the Manual: The series makes considerably more sense if you've read Dark Empire.
- Ascended Extra: The entire point of the series is showing how badass the Royal Guard is.
- Nom Anor is a HUGE one, originally debuting in this series.
- Badass: Kir Kanos.
- Badass Normal: Kir Kanos is this, in spades. A Retcon establishes that he's Force-sensitive, though.
- Carnor Jax is a Sith-trained Royal Guardsman.
- Big Bad: Carnor Jax, Ennix Devian.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Xandel Carivus.
- Subverted by Carnor Jax, who managed to take over the Empire from Emperor Palpatine, despite only being a Royal Guard. Yet, from all sources, seems to have been a surprisingly competent ruler.
- The Caligula: Xandel Carivus.
- Cloning Blues: Feena D'Asta.
- Dark Lord: Carnor Jax manages to briefly pull one of these off.
- Designated Hero: Kir Kanos is a fanatic for the Star Wars trilogy's Big Bad.
- Subverted by the fact that he kills no one but Imperials and one rebel, accidentally.
- Development Hell: The third part of the series was here for a time.
- The Dragon: Ennix Devian was sort of this to Emperor Palpatine (presumably for jobs Vader was overqualified for).
- Dragon Ascendant: Ennix Devian.
- Played with in the first comic. Carnor Jax is waaaay down the totem pole from The Dragon. His master, Lumiya, is further up the food chain, being The Dragon to Darth Vader. (effectively making Carnor Jax the Dragon to the Dragon to the Dragon).
- Honor Before Reason: A major theme of the comic.
- Played with in that Kir is more than aware the Emperor was a complete jackass.
- The Man Behind the Man: Nom Anor.
- Lumiya was retconned to be behind Carnor Jax.
- The Starscream: Carnor Jax to Palpatine.
- Word Of God: Kir Kanos is actually a clone of Carnor Jax.
- Possibly Jossed by the fact that Carnor Jax is the son of a Sun Guard.