open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- In Girls und Panzer, Commander Nishizumi notices a weather balloon with aerial during a tankery match against Saunders, and deduces correctly that Saunders is listening in to their inter-vehicle traffic. She exploits this by pretending to conceal her flag tank in some woods near a crossroads, and radioing the rest of her forces to conduct reconnaissance. Saunders falls for it, and they dispatch an attack force to that site. There, they discover to their chagrin that the crossroads are a kill zone, with Oarai guns raining shells upon them from the high ground.
- In Persona 5: The Day Breakers, Ryuji and Ann talk loudly at Atomic Burger about Cafe Leblanc's lack of security in order to get Kazuya's gang to try and steal from there. Sure enough, it's a trap they've set with Joker so that they can carry out their job and take Kazuya's "treasure".
- In Les Tuniques Bleues, one story has a Southern teenager join the Union army as a spy and get caught. Blutch goes into the Rebel camp and arranges a plan with the kid's older brother. The brother is imprisoned in the Union camp (guarded by Blutch), then Chesterfield goes in to come up with an escape plan, LOUDLY REPEATING WHAT THEY'RE GOING TO NEED SUCH AS FILES AND HORSES for Blutch's benefit. The whole thing succeeds, not least of all because no one in the Union camp wanted to be part of a sixteen-year-old's execution.
- In Suske en Wiske, in the story De Gouden Cirkel (The Golden Circle), the heroes go up against an evil cult while in China. Wiske plans to allow herself to get abducted by said cult so she can lure them into a trap. To do so, she goes to a restaurant and when placing her order tells the waiter to hurry up since the cult is after her, loud enough for all the customers to hear. Just as she expected, one of the customers is a cult member who immediately calls his fellow cult members.
- In Asterix at the Olympic Games, after Obelix first mentions the leftover cauldron of magic potion, Asterix and Getafix loudly mention other details such as the cauldron being in a small cabin whose door locks bad and which isn't guarded at night. Getafix mixes some methylene blue into the potion, so when the Romans drink some for the race, their tongue gets colored blue, which Getafix uses as proof to get them disqualified.
- In Harry Potter and the Cracked Reservoir, Harry, in order to protect Ginny, arranges for a few Death Eater kids to overhear them arguing about a fake prophecy, one claiming harm to Ginny will result in Harry unlocking his full potential.
Films - Live-Action
- In The Lavender Hill Mob, Holland and Pendlebury publicly discuss that they left the safe open. They wait in the building at night, and when thieves break in, they recruit them into their criminal scheme.
- In Midway (a World War II Dramatization), American Navy Intelligence deduce that the Japanese are planning on targeting two sites, coded A-F and A-O. The air base on Midway Island is instructed to radio in the clear that its fresh water condenser is broken in the hope that the Japanese intercept it and radio this update to Fleet Command. The Japanese fall for it and the US Navy had the confirmation they needed: A-F is Midway Island.
- In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Jessica Rabbit is caught playing pattycake with another man. Pictures are taken and her name is sullied. As it turns out, Jessica was forced into that situation so that Eddie could catch her doing it. She's otherwise a dutiful wife who is Happily Married to Roger.
- In Animorphs, after David has the group on the ropes thinking he killed Tobias, they stage a conversation in the barn where they admit he has them beaten before discussing out loud what to do next. Tobias reports that a rattlesnake left the barn soon after they did, confirming that he took the bait, allowing them to get rid of David.
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, it's revealed that the fake Moody staged a loud conversation with Professor McGonagall (who had no idea of the impostor Moody's intentions) about the properties of Gillyweed, so that Dobby would overhear and quickly give some to Harry in order for him to complete the second task in the Triwizard Tournament.
- In Much Ado About Nothing, this is how Benedick and Beatrice are tricked into falling in love (or admitting that they love each other). First Claudio, Don Pedro, and Leonato stage a conversation about how Beatrice is in love with Benedick while Benedick is eavesdropping, then Hero and her maidservants do the same thing to Beatrice. In each case, the eavesdropper is convinced that if the other is in love with them then they should requite the love.
- Girl Genius: Violetta starts talking to Zeetha very loudly to inform the Smoke Knights she's noticed following Agatha's group for the last day or two that they're going to be allying with Agatha for the time being:
Violetta: Madwa and her group had been slavishly loyal to Lucrezia. They refused Grandma's ultimatum and stayed allied with the Geisterdamen. [...] If there's a chance to take them out, our Smoke Knights have standing orders to set aside all other assignments and rivalries and do it. "All shadows are to come into the light."
Zeetha: What's that supposed to mean? ...and why are you talking so loud—Oh.
- In Spacetrawler, Pierrot and Krep become guests of King (of the civilized, underground Mihrgoots), who's been hiding the existence of his faction from the outside universe. To maintain the masquerade, King has to wipe Pierrot's and Krep's memories of the visit. He arranges everything so his mind-wiped guests can think they're escaping from a prison. This includes two cooks having a conversation nearby, to give away the exact information needed for the escape.
- In Gothic, one of the tasks you need to complete in order to join the Swamp Camp is to find a way of having Baals, i.e. the spiritual leaders of the camp, speak to you. Newcomers are not allowed to speak with Baals, so it must be the Baal who speaks to the newcomer first. Lester, a friendly resident of the camp, suggests that in the case of Baal Namib, what you can do is making him think that you just had a vision from their god and you've renounced the other gods because of it. To do this, Lester and your character stage a comically exaggerated conversation where they almost scream everything they say while standing right next to Baal Namib. It works.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, this is how Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee formed their alliance with the Dai Li. Knowing the Dai Li would be monitoring them, Azula arranges for Dai Li agents to overhear Mai and Ty Lee "accidentally" outing themselves as Fire Nation infiltrators. This prompts the Dai Li, angry at the Earth King due to the recent imprisonment of their leader, to make an alliance with Azula and company where both sides look to use the other.
- In the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Bossy Boots", Mr. Krabs tasks Spongebob with firing Pearl (since he doesn't have the heart to do it himself). After Pearl reveals to Spongebob that she wants to be fired, the two decide to stage an overly-dramatic firing for Krabs to hear from behind the door to his office.
- The Loud House: In "Teachers Union", in order to get Mrs. Johnson interested in Coach Pacowski, Clyde and Lincoln sit close to her during lunch and start discussing the good qualities they discovered about the coach, loud enough for her to hear. Later, they use the same trick on Coach Pacowski, by talking about how nobody asked Mrs. Johnson out on National Ask A Teacher Out Day while the coach is within hearing range.