aka: Sports Story
The genre of fiction that places the focus on sports
, usually following a player, coach, or team as they challenge themselves to rise to the top of the sport in question.
Sports Stories can span a single game, a tournament, or an entire career. While the rules of the game, training, and the rivalry between players is the most common source of drama in these types of works, it is often the protagonist team that must learn something important about themselves to overcome the odds.
For related tropes, see Sports Story Tropes
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
Mahjong (Hey, if chess counts as a sport, this probably does too)
Mixed Martial Arts
Ping Pong/Table Tennis
- 15: Meisetsu Kougyou Koukou Rugby Bu
- The classic British comic Tiger consisted entirely of sports stories, including Association Football (Roy of the Rovers, Billy's Boots, Hotshot Hamish), Boxing (Blackjack, Fisty Flynn), Rally driving (Martin's Marvellous Mini), Pro Wrestling (Johnny Cougar), Formula One (Skid Solo) and many more.
Australian Rules Football
- Australian Rules
- The Club (originally a play)
- The Great Macarthy
- Above The Rim
- The Air Up There: Film starring Kevin Bacon as a college coach who goes to recruit a player in Africa to play at his college.
- Blue Chips: Film starring Nick Nolte who is a college coach recruiting players to his program, but has to utilize shady means to do so.
- Coach Carter
- Eddie: Whoopi Goldberg becomes head coach of the New York Knicks.
- The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh: A failing pro team uses astrology to build a winning roster.
- Glory Road: Based on the true story of the 1965–66 Texas Westernnote team that became the first team ever to win an NCAA title with an all-black starting lineup.
- He Got Game
- Hoop Dreams: a basketball documentary.
- Hoosiers: A disgraced college coach gets a fresh start in 1950s small-town Indiana. ''Very'' loosely based on the small-town Indiana team that won the real 1954 state title.
- The Mighty Macs: A fact-based basketball documentary.Underdog Immaculata comes out of nowhere to win several AIAWnote titles.
- Rebound: A coach gets kicked out of coaching college basketball and down to Junior Varsity.
- Space Jam: Bugs Bunny and Michael Jordan play basket ball against space aliens.
- White Men Cant Jump: Street hustling games in L.A.
Martial Arts (Traditional)
Mixed Martial Arts
- Blades of Glory: Two men explore the world of couples figure skating.
- The Cutting Edge: An ex-hockey player pairs up with a stuck-up figure skater to compete in couples competition.
- Ice Princess: The story of a Math Genius who wants to compete as a figure skater.
Australian Rules Football
- The Blind Side: Part chronicle of the teenage years of future NFL offensive tackle Michael Oher, and part chronicle of the evolution of the left tackle position which he plays. Spawned a film concentrating more on Oher; Sandra Bullock won an Oscar for portraying Oher's adoptive mother Leigh Anne Tuohy,
- Friday Night Lights: The chronicle of the Odessa, Texas high-school football team, the Permian Panthers. Spawned a movie, largely based on the real Permian team, and a more fictionalized TV series.
Live Action TV
- De Kampioenen is a Flemish comedy series about a highly incompetent local league soccer team. Well known in the Flanders for its Long Runner status with 21 seasons.
- Sports Night: A bit more meta than some of the examples, this show is about sports anchors and the games that they cover.
Manhua And Manhwa
- F.C. Knudde is a Dutch gag-strip about another highly incompetent soccer team.
- Billy The Fish is a football/soccer-themed comic strip which parodies this kind of stories, starring a half-man half-fish who is a star goalkeeper.
- The Sun has a long running story called Striker, though that's an Artifact Title now as the title character, Nick Jarvis, retired years ago and is now a manager.
- The Mirror also had a football comic strip, called Scorer.
- Tank McNamara is a comic strip about a former (American) football player who is now a sportscaster.
- Gil Thorpe is about a high-school coach and his players. He is the head coach of the football, boys basketball and baseball teams and coaches golf in the summer. Often mocked on The Comic Curmudgeon for losing in the "playdowns" every season.
- NFL Rush Zone: Guardians of the Core