Speckles: The Tarbosaurus
, also know as Tarbosaurus 3D
or The Dino King
in the US, is a computer-animated dinosaur film from South Korea.
About 70 million years ago, dinosaurs ruled the Korean Peninsula the same way they ruled the rest of the earth. At that time, the part of the land now known as Jeonnam Yeosu was the forest habitat of a powerful carnivorous dinosaur: Tarbosaurus
. The youngest of a family of Tarbosaurus
, Speckles is a curious and playful child. Along with his mother and siblings, he lives happily in the forest, waiting patiently to learn to hunt. When that day arrives, it marks the beginning of a long and painful journey into adulthood for Speckles.
The cunning One-eye, an older Tyrannosaurus rex
looking for a new home, attacks Speckles's herd one day and, smelling sure victory, viciously tears Speckles's family away from him. Now on his own, Speckles meets up with another lonely, lost Tarbosaurus
. Blue Eyes becomes his constant companion for two decades and the mother of his own children. But fate is fickle and Speckles's troubles with One-eye are not over. Revenge, death, fear, and sadness are all in Speckles's future - as are happiness and hope.
The film includes the following tropes:
- Always a Bigger Fish: One-Eye meets his end by getting eaten by a Tylosaurus.
- Artistic License - Paleontology:
- Repenomamus is depicted as a little rodent-like mammal. In reality, it was one of the most badass Mesozoic mammals, being basically the Cretaceous equivalent of a honey badger (WHICH DOESN'T CARE), and is known to have eaten dinosaurs.
- Anachronism Stew and Misplaced Wildlife all around (particularly, Tyrannosaurus in Korea).
- Armored tyrannosaurids.
- Hairless pterosaurs.
- Wrong theropod hand postures (although the tyrannosaurids tend to un-pronate their hands).
- Sparsely-feathered raptors and scaly Therizinosaurus.
- Battering ram pachycephalosaurs.
- One-Eye terrorizes Speckles' life for twenty years. He's already an adult when Speckles is an infant. Tyrannosaurs reached full size at around twenty, and died at around thirty. So One-Eye is at least ten years too old at the end of the movie.
- A 100-foot-long Tylosaurus?!
- Not to mention One-Eye's level of intelligence. Granted, tyrannosaurs are believed to have been reasonably intelligent as giant carnivorous dinosaurs go, however it is rather difficult to believe they were smart enough to know how to purposefully start landslides and stampedes with the intention of killing their rivals.
- They couldn't talk either.
- The fact that tyrannosaurs are depicted with complex parental care. All evidence so far leans towards superprecociality much like in modern crocodiles and ratites.
- Big Bad: One-Eye
- Bittersweet Ending: Speckles finally defeats One-Eye. Though only one of his hatchlings survived and Blue Eyes is gone
- Carnivore Confusion: Averted. Speckles is a carnivore and proud of it. Unlike Simba and Chomper, he neither befriends creatures who would be on his menu, nor does he resort to eating bugs to curb his canivorism.
- Disney Villain Death: Averted, in that several protagonistic dinosaurs die in this way
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to similar dinosaur-oriented films
- Exit, Devoured By A Sea Monster: One-Eye meets his demise this way.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Speckles.
- Giant Flyer: Haenamichnus
- Infant Immortality: Averted.
- Misplaced Wildlife: What is a Tyrannosaurus doing in prehistoric Korea? And for that matter, what are Torosaurus, Ankylosaurus, and Pachycephalosaurus doing in Korea as well?
- Possibly due to land bridges that existed at that time of the Cretaceous Period.
- Ptero Soarer: Haenamichnus and Nemicolopterus are both hairless. They also have rather leathery wings - pterosaurs had complex wing membranes -, pointy wingtips and most mistakes seen in 70's pterosaurs. To make matters worse, they're depicted as fish eaters, when in reality they were terrestrial predators not unlike secretary birds.
- Raptor Attack: While Microraptor is decently portrayed, Velociraptor is sparsely feathered. However, the concept art shows Velociraptor (mostly) covered in feathers so it may have been due to Executive Meddling.
- Sea Monster: Tylosaurus.
- Seldom Seen Species: Tarbosaurus, Charonosaurus, Tsintaosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Torosaurus, Hypsilophodon, Microraptor, Pukyongosaurus, Repenomamus, Haenamichnus, and Nemicolopterus
- Stock Dinosaurs: Well, for starters there are Velociraptor about. A Tyrannosaurus is also the main antagonist. Ankylosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Protoceratops, and Tylosaurus appear as well.
- Super-Persistent Predator: One-Eye, in a overblown case in which he terrorizes Speckles' life for over TWENTY years
- Tyrannosaurus rex: One-Eye
- Wolverine Claws: Therizinosaurus
- X Meets Y: The film shares and combines elements of other films such as The Lion King, The Land Before Time, and Disney's Dinosaur.