open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Code Geass, the Emperor of Brittania couldn't care less what happens to his children, so long as, when all is said and done, one of them is strong enough to rule in his stead. Ultimately, its his disregard for their well-being that set the entire plot in motion.
- And subverted as it's revealed that he did care about his children...two of them, at any rate. Along with their mother, Marianne, whose brutal assassination he apparently laughed off. In truth, Emperor Charles and his wife-slash-accomplice Marianne are Knight Templar Parents and Well Intentioned Extremists who engineered everything so that Lelouch and his sister would be protected. Unfortunately, they never guessed that Lelouch would chafe and rebel against their idea of "protection", as well as their plan to create a utopia by eradicating free will.
- Pretty obvious with the others in the family too. Lelouch's other sisters (not Euphie, Conellia or Nunnally) were pretty quick to sic the guards on him after Lelouch claims he killed Charles simply going by his words and Schneizel just use ( or tries to) Lelouch and Nunnally as means to an end for his own agenda.
- Naruto: Several of the characters had Spartan family members, most notably Hinata.
- Chifuyu does this with Ichika to make sure he isn't an meek man and was taught to stand up for himself.
- The Nishizumi family of Girls und Panzer has strict standards, especially for their younger daughter, Miho. Maho, Miho's older sister, is a subversion, since her goal is to enable Miho to live freely from the responsibilities of being heiress.
- The Sith in Star Wars lives by this concept of training padawans, if it doesn't kill their students, then it makes them stronger, and if it kills them, they are too weak to be Sith anyways.
- In The King's Speech, when Albert was young, his father encouraged his brothers to pick on him for his stuttering, thinking that it would make it go away. Values Dissonance is involved here since, until the later part of the 20th century, this was fairly standard parenting in all families.
- Family dynamics among the members of House Greyjoy in A Song of Ice and Fire appear to work this way: Balon and his brothers don't get along too well and Theon has few fond memories of his dead old brothers.
Live Action Television
- In Supernatural, Sam and Dean are raised by their father, John, as soldiers. When a 9 year old Sam says he is afraid of the things in his closet, his father gives him a .45. Yet their father is willing to suffer the torments of hell to save Dean and gives Dean the mission of saving Sam.