"Single-mindedly united as one under the Banner of Songun held aloft by the Dear Leader Comrade Generalissimo Kim Jong Il, brilliant statesman, political genius, and invincible military commander"
is a parody
of North Korean propaganda, spanning a blog
and a YouTube video channel
. The writings and videos proclaim the greatness and glory of North Korea's dictator Kim Jong-il with a bizarre combination of Engrish
and Purple Prose
that must be seen to be believed.
The Youtube channel no longer exists, and the blog has not been updated in a while.
Songun Blog provides examples of:
- Arson Murderand Jaywalking It claims America is "filled with unemployment, foreclosures, crime, drugs, prostitution, murder and jaywalking."
- Black Comedy
- Engrish and Purple Prose, as mentioned above.
- Defictionalization: You too can experience great Juche idea.
- Government Conspiracy: Apparently, the US government is behind not only 9/11, but Hurricane Katrina as well.
- Ideological Screed
- Orwellian Editor : On his-her-its YouTube channel, he-she-it has made it so any comments not fulsome and sycopanthic about anything in the DPRK are automatically deleted and has released a video on YouTube urging other pro-DPRK youtubers to do so... in the interests of free speech... Ummm... whatever?
- Propaganda Machine: what they consider all anti-DPRK material to be.
- Shout Out: Songun is the name for the DPRK "military-first" policy.
- Stealth Parody: "This is too well done to be parody," as one reviewer puts it. Its parodic nature is proven pretty much conclusively by a blog post accusing an Israeli soldier of "slap[ping] a cat hard," and a video accusing an American soldier of "Stealing schoolgirls' ham sandwich for sale in 'Israel.'" Unfortunately, not everyone seems to have gotten the joke.
- Strawman Political: "the criminal Bush clique of nefariously noxious nazi neocon warmongering hawkish capitalists and their zionist puppet masters," and that's just the beginning...