Epic Legends Of The Hierarchs: The Elemenstor Saga
The Song Of The Sorcelator
...and this is also the point where we stop telling Blatant Lies. So what's going on here? Dueling Atlanta Nights, that's what.To elaborate, Jerry "Tycho" Holkins of Penny Arcade, in an attempt to parody the (what he considers to be) clichéd fiction that often serves as the background for gaming systems such as Magic: The Gathering, decided to pretend he had written an incredibly shallow fantasy series for a make-believe Collectible Card Game (as seen in this strip.) Thus was Hierarchs born. Making a few comics to illustrate how he would write bad fantasy novels, he set up a wiki and invited readers of Penny Arcade to flesh it out with all the glorious Stylistic Suck they could invent. They rose right to the challenge. According to him, the wiki set to make a point about the superficiality of such fiction, but also to acknowledge that fans are going to buy the products regardless of quality, claiming the website is "the joke that everyone is in on".Taking things further, he conceived Sorcelator, a "competing" series authored by a paper-thin expy of Tim Buckleynote , with its own wiki and (kayfabe) rabid Fan Dumb, complete with hilarious role-played flame wars between the two wiki groups. Sorcelator has ended up being more visible, with several mini-series comics, since Gabe and Tycho ended up having more fun with its particular brand of Stylistic Suck.
Tropes taken to the extreme:
- Cool Versus Awesome: Sorcelator runs on this.
- Creator Breakdown: Tycho is (kayfabe) very bitter about Franzibald's books massively outselling his.
- Creator Worship: Invoked by those on the Sorcelator wiki, which is incredibly fawning toward the series' "author."
- Department of Redundancy Department: "In the Second Age of Third Age, a grim, shadowy figure walks into a bar. It is Grimm Shado." Also, he apparently banished the Witchaloks to "The dark shadows of the Shadowdark."
- Fandom Rivalry: Played for Laughs.
- Fetish: Apparently the mobile furniture in Hierarchs has fans that call themselves "furnies." Ahem.
- Meaningless Meaningful Words: A Hierarchs trademark.
- Ninja Pirate Robot Zombie: Sorcelator has all four, and then some.
- Purple Prose: Dueling Purple Prose.
- Revenue Enhancing Devices: The working title of the first Hierarchs book was "A New Franchise."
- Sequelitis: Return of the Witchaloks II implies there was a Return of the Witchaloks I.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Franzibald has a slight sense of entitlement.
- Stylistic Suck: The whole point.
- Take That: Against the Magic: The Gathering novels and Tim Buckley.
- Wham Line: "“You have a brother, Grimm Shado. And...he is you."
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Sorcelator is full of this.