Smartskalle (literally 'smart skull' or 'wise guy') is a Swedish children's edutainment show, or 'science show for children', as The Other Wiki calls it. It stars Tobbe Blom as the host, along with his Mooks — 'smartskallarna', who are played by Fredrik Lexfors, Daniel Ottosson, Ebba Wallmén, and Alex Kantsjö. They take such concepts as static electricity, Newtons laws, magnetism, various 'parental lies', and a lot of unrelated things, and present them in a way which is both understandable to children and actually pretty funny.It shares more than a few similarities with Brainiac: Science Abuse (even down to the title), but is directed at a far younger audience. Plus, it has different actors! In Swedish!
Smartskalle provides examples of these tropes...
- Acceptable Targets: Judging from 'the American Way'? Well...Americans.
- Affectionate Parody: Billy-Bob Joe and Joe-Bob Billy — the two hosts for the sideshow 'The American Way'.
- Catch Phrase: Howdy, folks! Billy-Bob Joe here with Joe-Bob Billy, and we're going to show you how to make this article — the American Way!
- Content Warnings:Tobbe: WARNING! The show you are about to see may be offensive to sensitive scientists.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: "This is our smartskalle. He wants to make a cake with whipped cream, but he doesn't have a whisk — electric or regular. He does, however, have a boat motor..."
- Excited Kids' Show Host: Tobbe Blom is a type 2.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Tobbe manages to swear pretty freely. Also, when talking about Easter, he mentions this:Tobbe: And the strangest thing of all is that people seem to believe that a large bunny places the eggs out. I think it's safe to say that the person who came up with that (caricature of a drunk comes up on screen) had been drinking a bit too much Adult Kool-Aid.
- In one episode, art from a painting of Adam and Eve is seen. A painting where they're completely naked except for strategically placed leaves on the lower regions. Eve's breasts are completely exposed and her nipples are even faintly visible.
- Glasses Pull: This Once an Episode exchange between Joe-Bob Billy and Billy-Bob Joe.BBJ: X?JBB: Check!BBJ: X?JBB: Check!BBJ: Safety glasses?Both: Check!BBJ: Now it's time to X...JBB: The American Way!
- Gratuitous English: Rampant in 'the American Way'.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Oh hey, I know that guy, Tobbe 'Trollkarl' Blom, the magician, really famous, wonder what trick he's going to do this time... ...wait, he hosted a science show?
- In SPACE: A strain of common experiments is seeing if the Smartskallar kan do something relatively mundane...but under water!
- Jerk Ass: Again, Tobbe Blom — at least, toward the Smartskallar.
- Mad Scientist: Once again, Tobbe Blom. The site lists the fears of the Smartskallar — one of them is 'when Tobbe laughs his crazy laugh'.
- Mook: The Smartskallar.
- Nightmare Fuel: oh god the fire truck with a human mouth oh god oh god
- Stuff Blowing Up: The entire premise of the American Way segment, though doesn't happen in Tobbes experiments nearly as much as he'd like.
- Too Dumb to Live: Again, the Smartskallar.