open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
Film - Live-Action
- Addams Family Values has Gomez and Morticia doing a Tango that is equal parts sinister and sexy.
- Once Bitten opens with a Tango number as Sebastian gets his vampire mistress all done up for an evening of hunting virgins.
- True Lies plays with the trope. Arnold's character has a weakness for the Tango and dances it with his sexy but evil target. At the end, he dances another with the wife he loves, inconveniencing their partner in the van.
- 12 Monkeys: the title theme is also the leitmotif of the Army of the 12 Monkeys, the Animal Wrongs Group believed responsible for causing the apocalypse. It's written and performed by legendary tango musician Astor Piazzolla.
- Waking Life: Most of the soundtrack is tango music—and so when The Dreamer starts to become more and more unhinged and the visuals become (literally) more nightmarish as the movie nears its climax, this Trope is pretty much in play.
- In Galavant, when Galavant attempts to win back his former lover Madalena, (who has undergone a Face–Heel Turn and become an evil queen) his declaration of love is accompanied by heartfelt, swelling chords while Madalena's reply ("I love you... as much as someone like me could love anyone") is a hot and heavy tango number and Madalena goes into full seduction mode as she tries to win Galavant over to her side.
- There are shades of this in Ares' seductive song in the Xena: Warrior Princess Musical Episode Bitter Suite.
- "The Cellblock Tango" from Chicago is a Villain Song sung by the female prisoners about their motives for committing murder.
- In Pokémon Live!, Jessie, James, and Meowth get a tango Villain Song called "The Best at Being the Worst." Unusually, the song is about the villains berating themselves, yet at the same time, they seem to take pride in how incompetent they are.
- In The Threepenny Opera Macheath and Jenny have a "romantic" tango song about their past relationship when he used to pimp her, which is mildly sinister in the traditional but bowdlerised Blitzstein English translation. The German original and later more accurate translations go even further by referring to violent abuse and back-street abortion.
- In Turnabout Musical, Dee Vasquez's testimony song, "Battle of Wits," is in the form of a tango.
- The opening sequence of The Adventures of Figaro Pho, which shows Figaro being frightened and chased by some of the monsters that appear in the show, is accompanied by a classy-sounding tango tune.
- Littlest Pet Shop (2012) has an episode wherein Pepper and Blythe duet "The Guilty Tango" and the animation goes all dark and gloomy.